Rabbit Stew

Vince

I've never made this recipe.

It came from a cookbook that belonged to my dad. I think it's called "Critter Delight" or something like that.

It has all kinds of recipes for muskrat, possum, wild turkey, snapping turtle....all kinds of weird stuff. I've never made anything from it, but the cookbook is too cool to get rid of.
Knew an old guy back home when I was a kid that could cook groundhog. That's something you have to know how to cook to get it right. The old folks knew. I'm talking the ones that were alive during the last depression.

rockfish

I've never made this recipe.

It came from a cookbook that belonged to my dad. I think it's called "Critter Delight" or something like that.

It has all kinds of recipes for muskrat, possum, wild turkey, snapping turtle....all kinds of weird stuff. I've never made anything from it, but the cookbook is too cool to get rid of.

Is there a recipe in there for squirrel?

W

Wenchy

Rabbit is fine(tastes like chicken) The picture you posted is gross. :smack: :wench:

Salt/pepper/garlic powder and stick it in a slow cooker (not your smoker) Add some carrots, onions and 'taters. Cook all day on low while at work and enjoy when you get home.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Is there a recipe in there for squirrel?
Squirrel and Dumplings

Stock
6 squirrels
1 medium onion—chopped
3 stalks of celery—chopped
3 carrots—chopped
1 tsp of minced garlic
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. pepper

Boil ingredients for up to 2 hours until squirrel meat is very tender. Remove squirrel into a bowl and strain broth. Discard vegetables strained from the broth. Set broth aside.

Dumplings
1 ½ cups plain flour
½ cup self-rising flour
¾ cup shortening
buttermilk

In a large mixing bowl, cut shortening into flour with a pastry cutter, a fork or by hand. Add about ½ cup buttermilk and mix by hand. Continue to add buttermilk until dough begins to form a stiff ball. Dump dough onto a floured surface and kneed slightly. Roll out dough to about ¼ inch thickness. Cut dumplings into strips or circles and drop into boiling broth. Drop about 10 dumplings in at a time and cook for about 1 minute until done. Remove dumplings into a bowl. Continue to add dumplings, cook and remove.
Assembling Squirrel and Dumplings

Once the dumplings are done there are several ways to finish this dish. Add squirrel meat and dumplings back to hot broth and stir slightly. Serve. Do not stir the dumplings very much after adding them back to the broth or they will disintegrate.

Cream of Squirrel Soup

6 squirrels—boiled and meat pulled off bones
¼ cup butter
¼ cup of flour
½ tsp minced garlic
½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp. of cilantro or parsley
2 cups of broth or squirrel stock (chicken stock also works well)
2 cups of Half and Half
1 cup of sliced Portobello mushrooms

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat…add garlic and mushrooms…cook for about 5 minutes…add flour and stir well, cook for about one or two minutes. Add cold broth and bring to a boil stirring constantly…add Half and Half and bring to a boil stirring constantly. Add the squirrel meat, cheese and herbs and continue to cook for about 2 minutes stirring constantly. If soup is too thick, add half and half until it reaches desired consistency.
Serve alone, over pasta or over dumplings.

Squirrel With Pinto Beans
6-8 servings
1 pound pinto beans, soaked overnight 1 cup carrots, diced 1 large onion, diced 4 ribs celery 3 cloves garlic, minced chicken broth (or water will work okay) 4 young squirrels, cut into pieces 1 pound bacon 1 cup diced tomatoes
Hot sauce to taste (or hot peppers)
Cajun seasoning
Salt and pepper

Place beans, carrots, onion, celery and garlic in a large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven. Add chicken broth to one-inch over beans and vegetables. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about one hour or until beans are softened, but not cooked completely. Fry the bacon until done in a large skillet. Remove bacon and break or cut into bite-sized pieces. Rub squirrels with Cajun spices and either grill or smoke until done. Remove meat from the bones and add to pot. Add bacon and tomatoes to pot. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 1½ hours at 350 degrees. Check occasionally to make sure that the liquid has not cooked out. Add a little additional chicken broth or water if necessary.

Bacon-Fried Squirrel
Anything fried tastes pretty good and squirrel is no exception. The squirrel are first fried and then simmered in liquid until tender. Young squirrels taste much better than old ones. If you are worried about fat and cholesterol, eat a carrot. 4 servings

4 young squirrels, cut into 8 to 10 pieces 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 8 slices bacon, chopped 1/4 cup onion, sliced 2 celery stalks, sliced 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, minced 2 teaspoon lemon juice 1 cup chicken broth warm cooked rice

Combine salt, pepper, garlic powder and flour. Dredge squirrels in flour mixture. Cook bacon in a heavy skillet over medium heat until browned. Fry squirrel pieces in bacon grease until medium brown. Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for about 1 hour or until squirrel pieces are tender. Serve with warm rice.

Fried Squirrel
6 young squirrels
2 egg yolks
flour
garlic powder
onion powder
paprika
salt
pepper
vegetable oil

Cut squirrels into pieces and wash well. Beat egg yolks and pour over squirrels. Season flour with spices, to taste…add lots of black pepper. Roll squirrel pieces in flour and fry in oil on medium heat. Cover with lid and cook about 5 minutes on each side then remove lid to allow squirrels to brown.

Easy Brown Gravy
Leave about 3 Tablespoons of oil in the skillet…add 3 Tbsp of flour, salt and lots of pepper. Brown flour on medium heat and add about 2 cups of water, turn heat up to high….let come to a boil and add more water until gravy reaches desired consistency.

Old Squirrels
When using old squirrels, which tend to be tough…try this.
After frying squirrels as described above, make a very thin and watery brown gravy…..place fried squirrels and gravy in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 10 minutes. This will tenderize even the oldest of squirrels…
Another method for tenderizing old squirrels is to boil them in salt water, with vinegar, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and bourbon for about 1 hr. Then flour and fry them as described above. Either way makes for some fine eating.
fry the squirrel heads and eat the brains…this is one old country tradition!!!!

Bonehead

Gopher turtle

Has three different flavors of meat kinda like white dark and one in between. Tasty, when done right.

dn0121

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

oh it was delicious!