Race, Gender, and Rape on The Walking Dead

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Daily Kos: Michonne or Maggie? Race, Gender, and Rape on The Walking Dead TV Series

The Walking Dead TV series has little to no interest in developing its African-American characters. The graphic novel has several black male characters who are integral to the story, and are not sideshow stand-ins that are included because of a sense of multicultural political correct noblesse oblige. By contrast, the AMC series has (the now dead) "T-Dog"--a character that was a glorified black man servant chauffeur to the white characters, a black gollum mute with few lines, who lived only to serve and protect the other survivors.

The Walking Dead TV series is ultimately a story about how white male authority is enduring in a world populated by the undead. As a premise, this is a fine, interesting, and potentially fascinating framework for genre storytelling (I wonder how many viewers understand that this is the not so subtle subtext of the series?).

As further proof of the continuing dominance of white masculinity in a world where the dead now walk the Earth, this season's villain has also surrendered to the white racial frame, where The Governor, who was originally Hispanic in the graphic novel, has been rewritten as a white character.

A white female character such as Maggie can be threatened with rape, and quite likely allowed her revenge. Michonne, a black female character, in a society which systematically devalues people of color, and black women in particular, is not raped by The Governor.

bcp

In My Opinion
ok,
anyone that watches the Walking Dead would realize that the black girl they speak of is so damn ugly that she can only be referred to as rape proof.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
If you don't like it, make your own effin' version and play it on BET. Effin' wah.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
(I wonder how many viewers understand that this is the not so subtle subtext of the series?).

I LOVE this kind of thinking! The author just said, also said "I wonder how many people understand the not so subtle context of pop culture that has created artificial roles for non white males while stereotyping white males?"

This sticks out, if that is even the subtext, because it is rare; reality. Contrast that to unrealistic fantasy, culture wide, where every black man is wise and understanding, every minority good heart-ed and altruistic, every woman GI Jane, and every white guy a dim witted simpleton or criminal, in either case the dreaded 'the man' whose main purpose is to either get beat by the 'good guys' or get beat by the chicks AND kicked in the nuts for good measure.

:lmao:

glhs837

Power with Control
So, given a massive die-off, what are the odds that any given group that only makes up %12 of the population is going to be represented in any group of survivors that numbers under fifteen survivors?