Racist Senator Helms Dead at 86

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I don't worship any politician.

I worship Batman, Han Solo, Captain Kirk, and hot women...and the hot womenz on teh internetz. And the mighty Mighty Pittsburgh Penguins. :yay:
...and wolves.
And alcohol.
...and Corvettes.
...and Metallica....
...and...................XBox 360.....and................
...birds of prey.....
and....................................................................................
Well maybe when you grow up, you'll realize that it's political leaders who set examples and steer countries. So far your leaders are pathetic and are far lacking.....

Kerad

Well maybe when you grow up, you'll realize that it's political leaders who set examples and steer countries. So far your leaders are pathetic and are far lacking.....

And you're one of the most ignorant son of a #####es on the planet. :shrug:

Lot of good your political heroes did you. Again...if you choose these corrupt, lying bastards to be a hero...that's how you turn out. You racist, hate filled ####.

Bad 4th of July to you, you #######.

:patriot:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
And you're one of the most ignorant son of a #####es on the planet. :shrug:

Lot of good your political heroes did you. Again...if you choose these corrupt, lying bastards to be a hero...that's how you turn out. You racist, hate filled ####.

Bad 4th of July to you, you #######. :patriot:
Awwww...... Looky yall. Kerads getting his panties in a wad. :poorbaby: :killingme

You threaten me with calling the USSS and I'm one of the most ignorant son of a #####es on the planet. :killingme

Pretty obvious how your heros influenced you!! :jet:

C'mon you lil :baby: :bawl: I embarrassed you when your hilarious threats backfired. The board laughed at you and now I own your pussy ass and you know it!! :killingme :yahoo:

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So...opposing blacks as members of American society (not crime among blacks, you understand, but blacks in general), proposing cutting of all AIDS research and support because everyone who gets AIDS must deserve it for sinning, and supporting f-ing Pinochet are the "right" things to do?

:eyebrow:

Blasting UNC for "being too liberal" and trying to oppose liberalism in government is one thing. Calling UNC a cesspool for Negroes and communists and trying to oppose blacks in government at all is quite another.

Sorry, but no matter how conservative you are I can't imagine trying to raise this guy up as a hero or some kind of conservative icon.

Right or wrong, he was raised with certain values and morals.. He didn't shift form one side to the other based on polls, or what was cool today.

He did what he thought was right, damn the electorate, and spoke his mind, instead of thinking one thing, and smiling and saying another. There was NO question on where he stood on an issue, and if nothing else I think you could depend on him to vote as promised or assumed before an election, years after an election.

And not once was he accused of lying, extortion, doing drugs.. gay affair while the wife was at home..

He is what he is, but he's more of man than 90% of those we have in office today.

"Bill, take a look at the polls in the paper this morning, tell me what I'm thinking today."

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
So...opposing blacks as members of American society (not crime among blacks, you understand, but blacks in general), proposing cutting of all AIDS research and support because everyone who gets AIDS must deserve it for sinning, and supporting f-ing Pinochet are the "right" things to do?

:eyebrow:

*sigh* Is it all that hard to do research these days?
Wingate, North Carolina - US Senator Jesse Helms (retired) has recorded a personal video, "Make a Difference" to deliver his message on the scope of the AIDS crisis in Africa and his plea that those who might be tempted to turn away from such a large challenge would remember how they would respond if such devastation were to visit their own community, or their own family.

In the video, Helms says, "Much attention has been paid to increasing government assistance to African nations, and I support that, but the best government program is no match for the impact God’s people can make if they understand the need and resolve to follow our Savior’s lead in going to the rescue of those who are perishing. Each of us, all of our churches, must do something. We dare not avert our eyes."

Before his retirement from the Senate, Helms announced that discussions with Rev. Franklin Graham of Samaritans Purse and Bono, the international entertainer who helped create the One Campaign, had convinced him that he had been wrong in opposing government aid to fight the spread of the disease. The Senator also pledged that he would join the fight and do all he could to help. To that end, he partnered with Senator William Frist to introduce and help get signed into law -- the first major legislation to provide US funding for this problem. The legislation provided more than $500 million in aid and encouraged US pharmaceutical companies to do all they could to make their medicines available to health care workers in Africa who had no means to secure these resources for their patients.

The Senator committed to do all he could, for as long as he was able, to bring the AIDS fight to the attention of all who could help. In his memoir, Here’s Where I Stand, the Senator describes his change of heart and his hope that the United States will not be just the wealthiest power among the nations, but the wisest in the use of its resources for the good of those in desperate need of our help.

The new video, being released this week in connection with World Aids Day, December 1, is available at no cost through the Jesse Helms Center. It has been praised by those who have previewed it as both moving and inspiring, especially since Senator Helms’ personal dedication to this cause is so obvious as he speaks.
12/12/2005
By PAUL NOWELL
Associated Press Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Bono and Jesse Helms? Not only are they friends, but the Irish rocker and archconservative former North Carolina senator also share a common cause: fighting AIDS in Africa.

Before U2 opened to a raucous crowd of 17,000 at the city's new downtown arena, Bono had dinner with Helms.

"He (Bono) called us a couple of weeks ago and said he wanted to see his old friend the senator," said John Dodd, president of the Jesse Helms Center, who accompanied Helms and other family members to Monday's meeting.

Since they were introduced several years ago, the Republican Helms and Bono have become close allies in the fight against the AIDS epidemic in Africa.

Helms, who is 84 and suffers from a number of serious health problems, arrived backstage before the show and was joined by Bono for a casual meal. On the menu: grilled chicken, roast beef and salmon.

"It was nothing fancy," Dodd said. "They ate in the cafeteria with the roadies and the rest of the crew."

The two men talked for a few minutes about their work and what they have been able to accomplish and what still needs to be done, Dodd said.

Bono briefed the senator on DATA _ or Debt, AIDS, Trade in Africa _ a nonprofit organization he helped found in 2002 with other activists to increase awareness of the crises in Africa.

Did Helms stay for the concert?

"No, he didn't," Dodd said. "He has been to a U2 show before, but he was tired after traveling back from Raleigh earlier in the day."
YW

The Jesse Helms Center

Kerad

Awwww...... Looky yall. Kerads getting his panties in a wad. :poorbaby: :killingme

You threaten me with calling the USSS and I'm one of the most ignorant son of a #####es on the planet. :killingme

C'mon you lil :baby: :bawl: I embarrassed you when your hilarious threats backfired. The board laughed at you and now I own your pussy ass and you know it!! :killingme :yahoo:

:roflmao:

Yeah.

Visions of grandeur, much? Dumbass. You think you're some kind of forum studmuffin? With your pathetic internet racism and your internet bull####???

Heh. You tiny little boy.

I did call in attention to you and this board., dumbass. And I learned I wasn't the first to do so.

You're a pathetic joke of a....thing. Keep 'tarding. :yay:

T

tiny_dancer33

Right or wrong, he was raised with certain values and morals.. He didn't shift form one side to the other based on polls, or what was cool today.

He is what he is, but he's more of man than 90% of those we have in office today.

...Would you agree that what he thought to be right was right? Because I certainly wouldn't. There's no point in having someone fight for what they believe if what they believe is largely evil or to the detriment of society. Which most of his views were. I'd hardly call thinking that blacks and gays are the filth of the world and thinking that Pinochet's fascist regime was the best answer to dissident liberalism a "value" or "moral." And if you would...well, I don't really know what to say to that.

You're right, he is what he is. (Or rather, was what he was.) And what he was as a politician was hardly good for anyone.

And as for the bits quoted from Bann, yes, as was even stated in the original article at the beginning of this thread, he did revoke his position on AIDS in Africa. In Africa. He still refused to accept that there was any way other than what he deemed "immoral" behavior to contract HIV/AIDS in the developed world, and never as far as I am aware made moves to say that his own countrymen and women with HIV didn't deserve exactly what they got.

And revoking his position on AIDS in Africa hardly clears up the countless other gems of racist invective the man spewed throughout his career. And there's no beating about the bush about whether or not he was a hardcore racist, there were no double-meanings or insinuations in his words. He came out and said he didn't want blacks in the workplace alongside him, married to whites, taking places in the world alongside whites. Raised with it or not, it was wrong. I can't even admire him for sticking to his guns despite popular opposition, because his guns were wacked. So sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
:roflmao: Yeah. Visions of grandeur, much? Dumbass. You think you're some kind of forum studmuffin? With your pathetic internet racism and your internet bull####??? Heh. You tiny little boy.

I did call in attention to you and this board., dumbass. And I learned I wasn't the first to do so.

You're a pathetic joke of a....thing. Keep 'tarding. :yay:
Oooo.... jealous much?? :diva:

And you see what it got you huh big boy!!! :killingme

I see the influence your sorry leaders had on you... Keep posting K, it's hilarious!! :yahoo:

Wait.... is that a knock on my door??? :killingme

Kerad

Oooo.... jealous much?? :diva:

And you see what it got you huh big boy!!! :killingme

I see the influence your sorry leaders had on you... Keep posting K, it's hilarious!! :yahoo:

Wait.... is that a knock on my door??? :killingme

:jet:

Your ignorance amuses you. Typical.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

Attachments

• 00a21307.gif
    00a21307.gif
    90.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 42
  • US Secret Service CAT officer.jpg
    US Secret Service CAT officer.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 43
  • shithead.jpg
    shithead.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Retard%20Kitten.jpg
    Retard%20Kitten.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 39

Bann

Q. Some people have a hard time believing your assertion that race was not at the heart of your opposition to the civil rights movement, a Martin Luther King holiday and ads in your race against Harvey Gantt. What would you say to them?

The truth is the truth whether people choose to accept it or not. Let me be very clear. From my earliest days I was taught to respect all people. It is just that simple. I didn’t need to shift my position because it was always on the side my parents expected me to take and modeled by their example. I never took the time to argue with the nonsense claims that I was a racist because I knew the truth and more importantly every African-American with whom I had ever enjoyed a friendship or who worked with me in any capacity knew the truth, too.

I opposed the Martin Luther King Holiday because I thought it was a “politically correct” rush to confer an honor that the Federal government had waited more than eighty years to confer on George Washington. There were too many questions about information in sealed files for me in good conscience to agree to the holiday. **
I would have enthusiastically supported a holiday that honored the progress of African-Americans and their many contributions to our nation.
The well-known "hands” ad to which you probably refer had nothing to do with race and everything to do with a quota bill that I opposed and Mr. Gantt said he would support if he was elected. That bill was just plain wrong and the U.S. Supreme Court has agreed that quotas like those proposed in the bill are unconstitutional. This particular bill was not only unfair to job applicants, it was also unfair to employers who would have been forced to somehow prove that they had no intention of hiring anyone but the best qualified applicant

Some further research will show that he what he was concerned about was the supposed communist ties that MLK,Jr. was rumored to have back then. Not saying it's true or not - but it was why he opposed the holiday.
JesseHelms.com

T

tiny_dancer33

Some further research will show that he what he was concerned about was the supposed communist ties that MLK,Jr. was rumored to have back then. Not saying it's true or not - but it was why he opposed the holiday.
JesseHelms.com

Well, though I have to say I would take any claims from a website run by his supporters with a few dozen grains of salt, I can understand in that sense why he would oppose MLK Day. However, I don't think that opposing MLK Day is hardly the worst thing he said or did. Opposing a holiday can hardly be counted against him.

I would also seriously doubt the sincerity behind any of his words about "African-Americans [he] shared relationships with" - and it should make you wonder rather he really stuck to his ideals as much as above posters have claimed he did. He made his true ideals pretty obvious early on in his career, and anyone who says that his "hands" advertisement wasn't pandering to dormant racist sentiments is offering a weak defense. We're talking about a man who self-admittedly spitefully sang a song about cotton-picking to peevishly and childishly upset a black representative because he thought it would be funny if she cried due to his racist-tinged taunts. Thank god she didn't.

I can't understand why anyone would hold him up as a hero for his beliefs. Sticking to them, maybe. But I find that all of the beliefs he purported were condemnable for an American politician after the friggin Civil War, conservative or not.

Bann

...Would you agree that what he thought to be right was right? Because I certainly wouldn't. There's no point in having someone fight for what they believe if what they believe is largely evil or to the detriment of society. Which most of his views were. I'd hardly call thinking that blacks and gays are the filth of the world and thinking that Pinochet's fascist regime was the best answer to dissident liberalism a "value" or "moral." And if you would...well, I don't really know what to say to that.

You're right, he is what he is. (Or rather, was what he was.) And what he was as a politician was hardly good for anyone.

And as for the bits quoted from Bann, yes, as was even stated in the original article at the beginning of this thread, he did revoke his position on AIDS in Africa. In Africa. He still refused to accept that there was any way other than what he deemed "immoral" behavior to contract HIV/AIDS in the developed world, and never as far as I am aware made moves to say that his own countrymen and women with HIV didn't deserve exactly what they got.

And revoking his position on AIDS in Africa hardly clears up the countless other gems of racist invective the man spewed throughout his career. And there's no beating about the bush about whether or not he was a hardcore racist, there were no double-meanings or insinuations in his words. He came out and said he didn't want blacks in the workplace alongside him, married to whites, taking places in the world alongside whites. Raised with it or not, it was wrong. I can't even admire him for sticking to his guns despite popular opposition, because his guns were wacked. So sorry.

Well it sounds like you're being as ignorant as you're accusing him of being. From what you write, it looks like you haven't read one word about Jesse Helms other than from the hit piece posted. I hope you take the time to read up on factual information rather than the slanted hit pieces posted by the resident leftist whackjobs.

No one said he was PERFECT. He was a staunch conservative and he stuck to his principles and values even when it wasn't popular.

Bann

Well, though I have to say I would take any claims from a website run by his supporters with a few dozen grains of salt, I can understand in that sense why he would oppose MLK Day. However, I don't think that opposing MLK Day is hardly the worst thing he said or did. Opposing a holiday can hardly be counted against him.

I would also seriously doubt the sincerity behind any of his words about "African-Americans [he] shared relationships with" - and it should make you wonder rather he really stuck to his ideals as much as above posters have claimed he did. He made his true ideals pretty obvious early on in his career, and anyone who says that his "hands" advertisement wasn't pandering to dormant racist sentiments is offering a weak defense. We're talking about a man who self-admittedly spitefully sang a song about cotton-picking to peevishly and childishly upset a black representative because he thought it would be funny if she cried due to his racist-tinged taunts. Thank god she didn't.

I can't understand why anyone would hold him up as a hero for his beliefs. Sticking to them, maybe. But I find that all of the beliefs he purported were condemnable for an American politician after the friggin Civil War, conservative or not.

WHATEVER! Obviously you came in with a chip on your shoulder. Have fun carrying it around.

bcp

In My Opinion
WHATEVER! Obviously you came in with a chip on your shoulder. Have fun carrying it around.
dont hold it too much against her, I feel the same about the day kennedy was shot, and the day martin lufer was killed.
the world instantly became a better place in the instance of both.

some feel the same about Helms passing away.
on the bright side, look at how many years he had to keep certain programs from running completely out of control.

T

tiny_dancer33

Well it sounds like you're being as ignorant as you're accusing him of being. From what you write, it looks like you haven't read one word about Jesse Helms other than from the hit piece posted. I hope you take the time to read up on factual information rather than the slanted hit pieces posted by the resident leftist whackjobs.

Correction. Helms, his views, and other politicians with similar mindframes have been topics of discussion in my household for as long as I can remember being into politics. Don't presume to know where I come from.

If he's your idea of conservative politics, I can't understand how any decent person could be conservative. I think most of my conservative friends/acquaintances would wholeheartedly disagree with you claiming that his viewpoints supported their own.

Of course I came in with a chip on my shoulder. The title of the thread was "Racist Senator Dead," was it not? My original post merely stated how I felt about his passing and the man himself. Am I supposed to support someone who would have been adamantly opposed to my own parents' marriage, to my mother attending a college alongside whites? As far as I'm concerned the man belonged in the antebellum period, not helping to legislate in a country where thousands of families like my own exist. I don't normally get charged over things on these boards in this manner, but this is one thing where I believe there is very little for which I can forgive this man for believing in. I believe people's viewpoints can change drastically, yet I think that any retracted beliefs he proclaimed later in his life/career were insincere. I'm normally quite open to logical arguments that challenge my viewpoint on an issue - but this isn't an issue. It's a fact. And I didn't come in here asking for anyone to change my mind.

I will enjoy not respecting him or his viewpoints, thank you kindly.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tiny_dancer33

So how do you feel about Robert Byrd? (D-WV) :killingme:

Pretty much the same way I feel about Helms. No matter how much talk I'm 99% sure the sentiments are always there. They might be less inclined to act on their beliefs once they take public office and need more mainstream support, but I'm sorry, I can't fully support someone who was the Kleagle (or whatever they call it).