Rail union strike would create a ‘crippling’ economy, industry official warns

PeoplesElbow

Your average rail employee is not making $160K in wages and benefits. Maybe the suits in the corporate offices, but not the blue collar folks.

And again, it's not about wages anyway. It's quality of life issues like time off and sick time. The companies have cut the workforce to the bone for profits. Hardly anybody is left anymore.
Rail workers make a crap ton, my friend works for the rail road, the bad thing is he gets calls all hours telling him he has to be there within an hour.

herb749

The companies would cave quickly and give the 7 days paid sick leave. Right now they have no reason to because they know the Govt will step in an protect them thanks to the RLA.

Biden & the fed made the contract offer. These companies know they'll get govt money .

stgislander

PREMO Member
Let me state up front that I'm a railway labor kid. Grandfather, father, and even my brother. So I've got a soft spot for them. Dad would go years without a new contract. A lot of that because the govt decided that railways were too important to allow them to strike like other industries. (Coal miners got the same tratment too back in the day.) And the unions share the blame too. While the rank and file were concerned about better benefits, the union leadership negotiated for pay raises. Dad would say that was so the union could charge the workers more in dues.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I have family that work(ed) for Long Island Rail Road. The benefits and retirement packages are crazy good. 2 of them retired at 50. My nephew is in his 30s and he could retire very shortly and make more in retirement than I ever could have working. But like has been mentioned, you're on the hook to be called in at any time, holidays, weekends,....

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I have family that work(ed) for Long Island Rail Road. The benefits and retirement packages are crazy good. 2 of them retired at 50. My nephew is in his 30s and he could retire very shortly and make more in retirement than I ever could have working. But like has been mentioned, you're on the hook to be called in at any time, holidays, weekends,....
Maybe they could hire a few of these guys to work for them, and ease up on their employees a bit.

OPEN-HOUSE-1.jpg

stgislander

PREMO Member
I've heard good things about LIRR, and the other commuter railways for that matter. It's the big Class I freight haulers that suck rocks. Especially after implementing PSR.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Let me state up front that I'm a railway labor kid. Grandfather, father, and even my brother.
Both of my Italian great grandfathers were brought over by railroad companies, and they spent most of their working life here in the US with the Boston and Albany Line. One of great grampa D'Orazio's sons started as an oiler, and worked his way up to Conductor. After he retired, AMTRACK got him to come back and instruct new conductors.

One of my Irish 3rd great grandfathers worked for a New Jersey Rail Company. One of his sons worked for one in Connecticut, then ended up with the Boston and Albany.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Let me state up front that I'm a railway labor kid. Grandfather, father, and even my brother.
Step-father, his father and brothers were all RR employees for life. Indiana. Pop still had his Dad's company issued Colt handgun back in the day. It was .38 ACP if I recall correctly.

Reactions: BOP

BOP

I just want to know how the Gipper would have handled this.

I have an idea...I just want to see the left completely lose their collective mind over it.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Both of my Italian great grandfathers were brought over by railroad companies, and they spent most of their working life here in the US with the Boston and Albany Line.
Same here. Paternal great-grandfather and grandfather came over from Italy to work on the B&O. Great-grandfather went back to Italy after he retired. (They were not WOPs. They had papers.)

I'm pretty sure a maternal great-grandfather was a conductor on the PRR for a time.