Rain drops keep...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...soaking my bones.

So, the ride to girl friends house yesterday was fine. A little cold. Toes and my one bad finger were cold but, all in all, not bad. Took me maybe 2 hours to get my core back up. Not bad considering I've put myself in bed for a couple days before. :stupid:

Today, HAVING to get home...was a little different. :lol: Weather man said "Watch the suckers buy this one..." yesterday when he said no rain until 5 pm or so. :tantrum:

It's a tradeoff, haul balls, get home faster but deal with the impact of speed on 'getting' soaked body parts or take it easier and get more soaked. Time v. Temp.

The last 20 miles I was going fast enough to create heat....great rubber is NOT to be underestimated. Michellin RC II Bad ass.

:lmao:

glhs837

Power with Control
I just stopped worrying about it. 65-7 mph, 35 degrees,wet. dry, no matter......

http://www.amazon.com/Firstgear-Thermo-One-Piece-Suit-Medium/dp/B001A3ER3C

I ride to work wearing khakis and a tee shirt with button down shirt. Never even feel that cold. Granted it's only a nine mile ride back and forth to work, but I'm sure I could go all day. Oh, and the heated glove liners, those things are amazing. Less than $250 for the suit and gloves and I'm comfortable right down to the teens.

And by "that cold", I dont mean "not that cold", I mean I dont feel it at ALL, except as pressure against the suit. Did make the mistake of wearing a duffel bag slug over my shoulder once. That bit was cold.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I just stopped worrying about it. 65-7 mph, 35 degrees,wet. dry, no matter......

http://www.amazon.com/Firstgear-Thermo-One-Piece-Suit-Medium/dp/B001A3ER3C

I ride to work wearing khakis and a tee shirt with button down shirt. Never even feel that cold. Granted it's only a nine mile ride back and forth to work, but I'm sure I could go all day. Oh, and the heated glove liners, those things are amazing. Less than $250 for the suit and gloves and I'm comfortable right down to the teens.

And by "that cold", I dont mean "not that cold", I mean I dont feel it at ALL, except as pressure against the suit. Did make the mistake of wearing a duffel bag slug over my shoulder once. That bit was cold.

See, I don't want to be too comfortable. There is an appeal to getting cold, to getting wet, tired, pushing it some. Riding is part of my existential time, just being ALIVE. I mean, riding is stupid to begin with if being safe and sensible is the goal. It's a whole other ball game to be out there, moving in and around traffic, and just GOING. Riding. There is a profound appeal to being the maniac riding in THIS weather while people plod along with their face in their hand, bored to death in a car.

####in' eh. ALIVE.

glhs837

Power with Control
I get that, did that all last winter. But I find I enjoy the ride more the less I suffer. :) Hard to focus on how awesome the ride is if your wondering when frostbite is gonna kick in :)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I get that, did that all last winter. But I find I enjoy the ride more the less I suffer. :) Hard to focus on how awesome the ride is if your wondering when frostbite is gonna kick in :)

Riding isn't every day for me this time of year. There is just something redeeming about 80 miles of "Next time, bring the extra pair of gloves...like you meant to...last time..." :lol:

There is focus in suffering. :buddies:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Can't waterproof, insulated motorcycle suits and insulated gloves still be found? Those two things combined with Rain X on a helmet's face shield would work.....wouldn't they?

bulldog

Can't waterproof, insulated motorcycle suits and insulated gloves still be found? Those two things combined with Rain X on a helmet's face shield would work.....wouldn't they?

Yes, but in my case it's a pain in the azz to get all dressed out for a short ride to work.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yes, but in my case it's a pain in the azz to get all dressed out for a short ride to work.

Well, I found some boots that work as casual footwear. One piece suit takes about a minute to don and seal. Heated gloves, I leave those plugged in on the bike, and just put those on under my winter gloves. Suiting up takes virtually no time over the normal armored jacket I always wear.

glhs837

Power with Control
Get water spots all over the chrome?....nah.

What is this "chrome" you speak of, Sirrrah? I have plastic, aluminum, rubber.......and some vinyl.....oh, wait, there is some shiny stuff on the fork tubes, is that this "chrome" stuff?