Ralph Northam blames Virginia drivers for getting stranded on I-95: 'People need to pay attention'

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, D., took heat Wednesday after blaming thousands of drivers for being on the road only to be left stranded on Interstate 95 due to heavy snowfall that crippled snow removal crews.

Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., was among the drivers who were stranded for hours on I-95

:lmao:

HelloDave

Given that MSM were warning from Sunday morning onwards not to travel unless essential, he has a point.

Scootboot

I wonder if he called Tim Kaine and asked what the hell he was thinking. I can kind of understand the folks driving through on their way home but he got in his car at 1:00pm during the height of the storm. Idiot!

nobody really

I need a nap
what indont understand is, if it started as a backup due to a 5 truck accident, why werent people taking detours or exits? its not like the snow was not in the forecast. i mean there's waze, google....i have to agree with the other posters...i think the drivers have some respnsibility.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
He has a point, but he's also the Governor and responsible for keeping things going.

So..what exactly should he and VDOT have done that would have prevented the shutdown north of Carmel Church when it occurred? Send in the National Guard and bulldoze all the stranded vehicles off to the side?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
what indont understand is, if it started as a backup due to a 5 truck accident, why werent people taking detours or exits? its not like the snow was not in the forecast. i mean there's waze, google....i have to agree with the other posters...i think the drivers have some respnsibility.
Once they got on the road, there was absolutely no way to get off. Everything was blocked, trucks couldn't get out of the way. Some tried to turn around and go the wrong way, but they got stuck.

During a phone interview, it was asked why the entrance ramps weren't closed to prevent more cars from getting on, and the gov hemmed and hawed and said, well I guess we should have, we'll look at that.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

In the long stretch between Carmel Church (exit 104) and Fredricksburg are only two other exits...both to "rural nowhere" except for the remote possibility that you could divert to Rt 1 (couldn't). That's pretty much the reason why that particular stretch of I95 is a parking lot for a large percentage of any entire year...even without any weather impacts. It's a miserable stretch of highway that we avoid all times of the year...

nobody really

I need a nap
In the long stretch between Carmel Church (exit 104) and Fredricksburg are only two other exits...both to "rural nowhere" except for the remote possibility that you could divert to Rt 1 (couldn't). That's pretty much the reason why that particular stretch of I95 is a parking lot for a large percentage of any entire year...even without any weather impacts. It's a miserable stretch of highway that we avoid all times of the year...
oh, ok. i didnt realize that, makes sense

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So..what exactly should he and VDOT have done that would have prevented the shutdown north of Carmel Church when it occurred? Send in the National Guard and bulldoze all the stranded vehicles off to the side?

Who cares? They always want to blame Republicans for every little thing, even when it happens in Democrat run states and cities, so screw Northam. Hell, they tried to blame Glenn Youngkin and he's not even an official yet. I'm surprised they're not trying to blame Trump. Or the unvaxxed.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Who cares? They always want to blame Republicans for every little thing, even when it happens in Democrat run states and cities, so screw Northam. Hell, they tried to blame Glenn Youngkin and he's not even an official yet. I'm surprised they're not trying to blame Trump. Or the unvaxxed.
Point -> DeeJay

mitzi

He has a valid point. I can kind of understand traveler's unexpectedly getting caught in that mess. Not those who live is the Md/Va/DC area. There was plenty of warning and you can't assume the highway is going to be cleared.

Last edited: