Randy Moss to...

jetmonkey

LB Calvin Pace of the Cardinals signed with the Jets. 22 Million guaranteed.

All these big numbers, I'm glad the Skins are waiting. Some of these mediocre players just aren't worth it.
Wow they must have heard he really liked Miami.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Is that relevant?

That was under the previous OC, a system he had been in for 10 years.

I mean, I'm not knocking Campbell here; he is the stud, he's got the arm and can move and is strong and young.

What I see is a guy who made the offense work noticeably better than Jason and I would expect that the offense Zorn ran in Seattle isn't all that much different than what Collins just showed us. Maybe his reads are to a different defender, maybe the check down is a bit different, but, at the end of the day, the defense only gets to put 11 guys out there and a qb has about 3 choices to make if he's good and maybe 4 if he is real good and then it's a matter of can you make the throw or not and Hassleback wasn't asked to play like a Favre or Elway and make plays passed more on talent than on execution.

Clinton Portis made the comment that on identical plays, Todd made the check down to him so much quicker he knew he had a chance to catch the ball and make a move before contact whereas with Jason he was always waiting, nervously, on the ball as Jason would wait too long looking for something to develop downfield before giving the check guy a chance. That's Jason getting 2 or 3 or no yards because the guy gets hit right away v. Todd or Hasselback getting 4 or 5 or 8 out of the same play. That makes 3rd and 1 instead of 3rd and 8.

I mean, you're right about the experience and I shudder to think that, day in and day out, Al Saunders was watching his offense struggle in practice and games while a go who could make it go a good better sat.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Aren't they going West Coast? I don't see either of those guys being a good WC QB :shrug:
I'm not sure how each will react to the new system. As far as I can see it, it's 50/50 so I'll take a wait and see approach.

I know you must get the ball out quick in this system, perhaps that is impact factor that will make or break either QB.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I mean, I'm not knocking Campbell here; he is the stud, he's got the arm and can move and is strong and young.

What I see is a guy who made the offense work noticeably better than Jason and I would expect that the offense Zorn ran in Seattle isn't all that much different than what Collins just showed us. Maybe his reads are to a different defender, maybe the check down is a bit different, but, at the end of the day, the defense only gets to put 11 guys out there and a qb has about 3 choices to make if he's good and maybe 4 if he is real good and then it's a matter of can you make the throw or not and Hassleback wasn't asked to play like a Favre or Elway and make plays passed more on talent than on execution.

Clinton Portis made the comment that on identical plays, Todd made the check down to him so much quicker he knew he had a chance to catch the ball and make a move before contact whereas with Jason he was always waiting, nervously, on the ball as Jason would wait too long looking for something to develop downfield before giving the check guy a chance. That's Jason getting 2 or 3 or no yards because the guy gets hit right away v. Todd or Hasselback getting 4 or 5 or 8 out of the same play. That makes 3rd and 1 instead of 3rd and 8.

I mean, you're right about the experience and I shudder to think that, day in and day out, Al Saunders was watching his offense struggle in practice and games while a go who could make it go a good better sat.

I found an interesting dialouge between two ES posters.

Gigantor said:
I think his innacuracy stands out as something we can expect in the future.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Califan007 said:
That's true...which is why we saw his accuracy percentage rise from 53% to 60%. If Campbell continues that inaccuracy like you said, he should be at an embarrassing 65% completion rate in no time.

Gigantor said:
Also, the choking under pressure is a trait which we'll probably see over and over again.

Califan007 said:
That's true...so we better hope our defense can help sustain the leads Campbell builds for us in the 2nd half. Leads such as 20-9, 17-3, 21-6, 22-13, 28-14...too bad those leads couldn't have all lead to wins. But I'm sure Gregg Williams told the defense to let the opposing teams score so that we could see whether or not JC was a legit QB by leading a comeback that shouldn't have been necessary to begin with.

Gigantor said:
Then there is the misreading of defenses which result in interceptions.

Califan007 said:
There's also the receivers who run the wrong route that lead to interceptions, and the passes that are tipped up in the air that lead to interceptions, and of course just the good defensive play of opposing CBs that lead to interceptions...none of which has anything to do with Campbell misreading defenses.

Btw, Campbell was 19th in the league in terms of INTs thrown, behind the likes of Eli Manning, Jon Kitna, Carson Palmer, Derek Anderson, Tony Romo, Drew Brees, Marc Bulger, Brett Favre, Phillip Rivers, Peyton Manning and Matt Hasselbeck.

Of course he played in less games, so it would be more accurate to show an INT/Attempts ratio:

Young: 1 INT every 22 pass attempts
Bulger: 1 every 25 atts.
Eli Manning: 1 every 26 atts.
Romo: 1 every 27 atts.
Warner: 1 every 27 atts.
Kitna: 1 every 28 atts.
Anderson: 1 every 28 atts.
Palmer: 1 every 29 atts.
Rivers: 1 every 31 atts.
Cutler: 1 every 33 atts.
Brees: 1 every 36 atts.
Favre: 1 every 36 atts.
Peyton Manning: 1 every 37 atts.
Roethlisberger: 1 every 37 atts.
Campbell: 1 every 38 atts.
Hasselbeck: 1 every 47 atts.

So since you believe that INTs are only the result of the QB's inability to read defenses, your logic dictates that Jason Campbell can read defenses as well as Drew Brees, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger.

And just to cut you off at the pass, you were criticizing the number of INTs that JC has thrown, NOT the number of TDs thrown or the number of games won. So don't embarrass yourself by saying "But at least those other QBs throw a lot of TDS!" or "At least those other QBs win games!"...

Gigantor said:
Finally, his throwing motion, you better get used to lots of fumbles unless we get a first rate offensive line...<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Califan007 said:
Either that, or have JC use 3-and-5 step drops and release the ball quicker instead of waiting for the receiver to be open, and trust that his receivers will be where they're supposed to be. And--gasp!--that's exactly what Coach Zorn said he was going to have JC do this upcoming season. What a coincidence, huh!

Just another perspective.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4964939#post4964939<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->