ray hunting question

Thanks for the answers, we were in the Patuxent and at least one boat was looking for rays, he stopped and asked if we had seen any. Two nights ago the water was full of them, they were all around the BFs kayak, but none that night. Lots of croakers though. I like to watch the rays so it upset me some to think people would shoot them just because they could, I'd rather think they were using them for food.
Lots of snakeheads in Mattawoman, the BF hooked one in the back several years ago, that was one nasty looking fish. There was a snakehead contest at Smallwood, fishing and cooking them. I read about it in the Post, sounded like a neat thing to go to.

http://bowesandarrows.com/ went to 2 of them just to see them bring them in and take pictures. they bring in loads of them on some pretty cool setups. best one I saw was a pontoon rig with a grill setup and two seats up front for the shooters.

Chris0nllyn

Thanks for the answers, we were in the Patuxent and at least one boat was looking for rays, he stopped and asked if we had seen any. Two nights ago the water was full of them, they were all around the BFs kayak, but none that night. Lots of croakers though. I like to watch the rays so it upset me some to think people would shoot them just because they could, I'd rather think they were using them for food.
Lots of snakeheads in Mattawoman, the BF hooked one in the back several years ago, that was one nasty looking fish. There was a snakehead contest at Smallwood, fishing and cooking them. I read about it in the Post, sounded like a neat thing to go to.

Skate is a pretty common meal. Maybe not so much around here, but the wings are pretty tasty. Just takes some soaking, or a day or two to get rid of the ammonia smell. (before it comes back)

It's pretty similar to shark.

Last edited:

Natron0915

Yeah I guess that's technically correct...funny that they have always been called skate, local waterman included. I've yet to see or catch a carp in the waters surrounding St. George's Island. The cove on the creek side that everyone was bow hunting in last weekend is only a few feet deep at most and is a popular hangout for skate,,or rays......would it have been carp they were looking for?

While putting in at the ramp on St. Georges creek, we found a (to me) large ray tied to the pilings in about 4" of water. Someone had cut the tail off and threaded line through each nostril. I cut it loose and away it went. Anyone know if they can live with the tail cut off? Just curious... My crabbing buddy and I both had the same thoughts...what kinda twisted idiot would do that to a fish?

While putting in at the ramp on St. Georges creek, we found a (to me) large ray tied to the pilings in about 4" of water. Someone had cut the tail off and threaded line through each nostril. I cut it loose and away it went. Anyone know if they can live with the tail cut off? Just curious... My crabbing buddy and I both had the same thoughts...what kinda twisted idiot would do that to a fish?

Yeah they can live like that. I can't imagine why they did it though and kept it. Maybe keeping it for bait like someone said.

Yes it is a little early

They are Cow Nose Rays and there is plenty of carp around here in the spring spawning

And they destroy grass beds while hunting for food. Hook one and you have a tough time reeling them in. I wouldn't call it a fight as much as a tug of war.

intertidal

Skate is a pretty common meal. Maybe not so much around here, but the wings are pretty tasty. Just takes some soaking, or a day or two to get rid of the ammonia smell. (before it comes back)

It's pretty similar to shark.

Yup. Skates, rays and sharks are elasmobranchs and they all have urea in their blood - hence that ammonia aroma. Its important to bleed and ice them quickly.
I saw plenty of them sunday in shallow water at Dares Beach. The ones seen most around here are cownose rays - commonly (and erroneously) called "skates".

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I tossed a line at the mouth of Goose creek last night. There were dozens of rays rolling around near the bridge. They would have been easy pickings for any capable archer. I managed to hook 1 on a beetle spins and after about a 20 minute fight it abraded the line on the rocks. It was a nice fight while it lasted.