Reality of Gun Ownership

Now I'm curious.
What firearm(s) or other means of defense, do you folks feel are most appropriate in the majority of home defense scenarios (IE: nothing completely outrageous like the guy having a tank or something).

For unanticipated, self-defense purposes, I think a large caliber revolver is the most appropriate weapon - as large a caliber as someone is comfortable shooting. And by comfortable, I mean that they won't wince slightly in anticipation of the bang/recoil. It is the anticipation of recoil, and not the recoil itself, that causes inaccuracy with a handgun. Also, a revolver is ideal because it is a simpler, more reliable mechanism. It is a crude tool, but a quality revolver does what it is asked to do, every time it is asked.

Under the right circumstances, a simple pump shotgun may be the best close range self-defense weapon. However, the circumstances will usually not be 'the right circumstances', and to a large degree the circumstances of a self-defense situation will be dictated by the perpetrator and not the victim.

Remember that a perpetrator has the advantage of knowing their specific intent and plan of action, while a victim has the liability of having to be prepared for an unknown and unanticipated range of threats.

That having been said, I choose a Sig P220 w/ night sights for in-home self-defense purposes. There are three main reasons for this:

(1) I've fired enough rounds through it to have a high degree of confidence that it won't jam - as much confidence as I could have in a non-revolver.

(2) It is the firearm that I have practiced and trained with the most, and with which I am the most comfortable. My manipulation of the gun is more instinctual than that with my other firearms.

(3) I personally wouldn't feel as comfortable entrusting my life to something less than .45 ACP, especially considering I don't know what/whom a potential threat may be. (Again, smaller calibers may be more appropriate for others, since comfort with what you're shooting is of the utmost importance.)

In the alternative, I have a Colt Anaconda that I would feel almost as comfortable with.

All that aside, I would say this. It is not as important which weapon someone chooses for self-defense as it is that they practice with that chosen weapon. If and when the need for its use arises, that person will most likely be facing an incredibly stressful and difficult series of decisions which need to be made almost instantly. It will likely be a situation that tasks their brain, as well as their sensory inputs, in a way that they have never been tasked before. Their brain's first impulse may well be to try to shut down, not knowing how to deal with all of the considerations flooding through it.

You cannot afford to ask your brain, at that moment, to devote conscious decision making energy to the manipulation of your self-defense weapon. Your hands' control of the firearm needs to be as close to instinctual as it can be, so that your brain is freed up to make more important decisions that may determine whether you (and others) live or die.

If you can not devote an appropriate amount of time to training with your chosen self-defense firearm, you may be better off not having one.

Last edited:
R

RadioPatrol

If you said, yes, you were a cop, I was going to assume you've heard the term "recidivism" and understand what that means.

Since you are not a cop, there's no reason to go down that path with you.

recidivism
One entry found.

Main Entry:
re·cid·i·vism Listen to the pronunciation of recidivism
Pronunciation:
\ri-ˈsi-də-ˌvi-zəm\
Function:
noun
Date:

: a tendency to relapse into a previous condition or mode of behavior ; especially : relapse into criminal behavior

R

RadioPatrol

vrai, most, if not ALL cops I know who are cops and post on the MD message boards are extremely cautious about revealing who they are or giving too many clues as to who they are because whatever they post can get back to them and may somehow jeapordise their carreer if it turns out they said something questionable. His reaction is not out of the ordinary and if anything shows he is more likey a MD police officer than not.

Then he should choose an different Nick and Av :whistle:

R

RadioPatrol

your are kidding right? I thought after the Joe Horn shooting everyone would be familiar with this law.

:whistle:

Grand jury

On June 30, 2008 a Harris County grand jury cleared Mr. Horn by issuing a no-bill after two weeks of testimony.[14]

[edit] Reaction to no bill

Quanell X said he is meeting with civil attorneys to discuss the next legal move. He said he planned to lobby lawmakers to change the Castle Doctrine, which he believes is racially motivated.
[15] He went on to say, "This was a wild and out-of-control Western-thinking, gun-toting man who saw the opportunity to be judge, jury and executioner, and Harris County let him get away with it. But we’re not going to let him get away with it."[15]

Joseph Gutheinz a Houston attorney and member of the National Republican Lawyers Association raised concerns in a New York Times story that bolstered Quanell X's position, Gutheinz said:“I wonder if Joe Horn were black if he would be free tonight or in the Harris County Jail.” Speaking of the Harris Country Grand Jury system, Gutheinz said: “It’s a sea of white faces that doesn’t look anything like the county.” [16]

How can the Castle Doctrine be racially motivated ? :confused:

R

RadioPatrol

You can own an antique handgun at any age in MD. However, you are limited to non-regulated firearms ammo.
YOu can also own a handgun with a barrel over 16 inches.

However, if you are under 18, a person can only give you an antique firearm and you probabably won't be able to find someone who would sell you one.

A cap and ball revolver usually fires a ball of lead and that generally will not penetrate as much through walls and it counts as an "antique" handgun that you can own.

Eww can you inagine the mess a .44 cal soft lead ball wold make out of someone .........:whistle:

R

RadioPatrol

Some people here have said they will shoot the burglar to kill because a burglar deserves to die. He has never said this. I am sure he is only saying he will shoot to stop the threat......if they die that was not the intent.

Cops in MD are not trained to shoot to kill, they are trained to shoot for center mass which has the most likely hood of stopping the attack......there is a distinct difference.

Only to Lawyers .......... Filing Lawsuits ....

I was trained to Shoot Center of Mass, when I went through Basic @ Fort Benning in 1984 .... Do you really think a good shot CoM will result in anything other than the death of the suspect ?

R

RadioPatrol

No matter how you slice it, if smcop shoots a burglar in his home, he has instituted the death penalty; that which he stated he was against.

And I'm not concerned with what cops are trained to do. I'm concerned with cops that make statements that I interpret as advocating the removing of a citizen's right to defend themselves. I know he has stated over and over he supports a homeowner to take whatever they deem necessary but I wonder... if this was on the ballot in MD that a homeowner can shoot (to kill) an intruder, regardless of whether the burglar is armed or not, how he would vote.

It is all in the language .... Shooting an intruder is eliminating a threat, not instituting the death penalty, even though that is mostly likely the result from several 9mm bullets CoM

it is all nice lawyer speak so Police Depts do not get sued every time there is a shooting ....

Distraught Parent: "Tyron was a nice boy, the police just executed my boy"

Police Spokesman: "the Perp, was a threat and the Officer only fired to eliminate the threat, not to kill, we are saddened @ the death of the suspect"

This is also why it is not recommended that Citizens defend their homes with Ugly Black Weapons ... in case you do kill someone, the lawyer for the family suing will have a harder time painting you as someone just looking to kill if you use Grandpa's old .38 and not a Glock .40 cal - even though Police use similar weapons - I know impracticable .... but better than a M4 with a 30rn Mag

Novus Collectus

Only to Lawyers
And if you have to go to court for shooting someone, who runs the show?

I was trained to Shoot Center of Mass, when I went through Basic @ Fort Benning in 1984 .... Do you really think a good shot CoM will result in anything other than the death of the suspect ?

Yes, I do, and since the military realizes that it takes three enemy soldiers out of commission for every wounded soldier that has to be carried from battle, why not.

Novus Collectus

It is all in the language .... Shooting an intruder is eliminating a threat, not instituting the death penalty, even though that is mostly likely the result from several 9mm bullets CoM

it is all nice lawyer speak so Police Depts do not get sued every time there is a shooting ....

Distraught Parent: "Tyron was a nice boy, the police just executed my boy"

Police Spokesman: "the Perp, was a threat and the Officer only fired to eliminate the threat, not to kill, we are saddened @ the death of the suspect"
Yup.

This is also why it is not recommended that Citizens defend their homes with Ugly Black Weapons ... in case you do kill someone, the lawyer for the family suing will have a harder time painting you as someone just looking to kill if you use Grandpa's old .38 and not a Glock .40 cal - even though Police use similar weapons - I know impracticable .... but better than a M4 with a 30rn Mag

If I had one, I would not hesitate to use an M4 for home defense. The reasoning for using it could be to prevent overpenetration and injuring others.

smcop

Now why would you think I'm in Calvert County, and how would you know what I know? You don't. And I know of what I speak. I have seen, shot with, St. Mary's, Calvert, and Charles' County cops and most of them are not very good.

Really, where did you shoot with these officers? Lets see, there are approximately 350 Charles County Officers, 120 St. Mary's Officers, and 110 Calvert County Officers and you say you have shot with MOST of them. I think you are either making this up, or like your "cops don't obey traffic laws" lumping cops into one category. There is at least one jurisdiction in Southern Maryland which has it's cops do moving drills and transitioning drills. Every cop in that agency scores over 70%, and 85 percent of the cops score over 88%. I would say that's pretty good.

Yeah. Cops should obey the laws just like ordinary citizens.

Never said they weren't, you just have some anomosity against cops. You put them in a group, rather than seeing them individually. Tell me who doesn't speed? I have given cops tickets in my career, have received tickets in my career, so what is your beef?

If the guy is not armed, then no, I would not shoot him.

I wouldn't say that. You have to look at the totality of the situation. If the guy is not armed, but is bigger and stronger, and is attacking you, why wouldn't you shoot him in your own home? Even if he is not bigger and stronger than you, why would you take the chance in your own home?

Look at it from another perspective. I would estimate that greater than 80% of crime is done by repeat offenders. Knock one off and the crime rate goes down significantly.

And where do you get your estimates?

The courts can't or won't control criminals. Can you say revolving door? Cops can't be everywhere even if they are honest and well meaning like I presume you are. So it is left to the citizens to defend themselves and their property.

I've never said anything to the contrary. I have always said in my posts that you should defend yourself and your property. Defense is one thing however, killing a man who is running away or surrendering is another.

smcop

I suppose it's true that not answering is easier than admitting either the hypocritical nature of your answers or admitting you're just wrong.

"The necessary amount of force to stop the threat". "Non-violent crimes do not justify lethal force."

Yep, just continue to not answer...........

I answered the question. I just didn't do it in the cookie cutter manner that you wanted me to answer it. There are many ways to handle the myriad of situtuations which can occur. To give an example to an example without looking at the totality of the situation is narrow minded and ignorant.

Because I didn't answer the question the way you wanted me to answer the question doesn't mean it wasn't answered.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Yes, I do, and since the military realizes that it takes three enemy soldiers out of commission for every wounded soldier that has to be carried from battle, why not.

You are not reffering to the myth as to why the military adopted the 5.56mm are you?

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

You can own an antique handgun at any age in MD. However, you are limited to non-regulated firearms ammo.
YOu can also own a handgun with a barrel over 16 inches.

However, if you are under 18, a person can only give you an antique firearm and you probabably won't be able to find someone who would sell you one.

A cap and ball revolver usually fires a ball of lead and that generally will not penetrate as much through walls and it counts as an "antique" handgun that you can own.

If you are 18, you can buy this handgun and use it for home defense: MidwayUSA - Uberti 1858 Remington Steel Frame Black Powder Revolver 44 Caliber 5-1/2" Blue Barrel

19 nearing 20 and I'll stick to the good ol' shotgun home defense for now. :smile: Don't really need it at my current location anyway considering I'm on the 2nd story of a house that has quite a few other tenants :lol: But ya never know :wink:

Novus Collectus

19 nearing 20 and I'll stick to the good ol' shotgun home defense for now. :smile: Don't really need it at my current location anyway considering I'm on the 2nd story of a house that has quite a few other tenants :lol: But ya never know :wink:

Well there is another good reason to own a cap and ball revolver....they are fun to shoot. :D
Also, with the Ruger C&B revolver, you can hunt deer with it if you are into hunting.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
No, I am referring to what I believe is general strategy. I already know the 5.56 myth is a myth.

Ok, I am just trying to think what enemy we have fought in the last half decade that even cared if a man was down and wounded to the point of getting him help.