Recommendations for a severly itchy dog.....

unlisted

SMOOTHMARINE187
he is a cute dog...my dog has skin allergies but we got under control mostly with change to a different diet plus she gets salmon oil daily..when she is really itchy i give her hydroxyzine (doc gave it to me for her) and it helps her too.

The dog would probably be happier if you just scratched him instead.

SoMDGirl42

He's probably to old to learn a new name :ohwell:

my oldest one is 14, and about a year ago I started calling him "fatboy" because he's gotten so old and fat. If it weren't for the fact that he's deaf now, he would still come running when I yelled FATBOY.

Im_Me

Take the dog to the vet and find out what is wrong.

$500 later I now know the dogs had fleas (I figured that at first, but I guess the first bath killed the live fleas, and my old eyes couldn't see the nits(?) in her thick long fur. She is apparently very sensitive). On the good side we found out she also has a tick borne disease that is causing her joint pain. I have pills to give her for this once the ones for the fleas are gone. She rattles when she walks for all the pills we are giving her, but at least she isn't tearing herself up.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I saw your picture of her. I thought she was cute, but what do I know? I like dogs with smooched faces .
Big problem with short faced dogs is they suck up a lot of air if they're fast eaters, this results in a very gassy dog.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
In addition to trying Head & Shoulders - try using just conditioner. That eliminates any residue on the hair/skin but doesn't strip the moisture.

You could also opt to try Micro-tek shampoo too. Its online order - I use it ALL the time on my pup - he is a MAJOR allergy sufferer.

Also - when your dog comes in from o/s use a baby wipe and wipe the pads of his feet. This is where they carry alot of the grass/pollen in too.

Changing food is not a bad idea - my pup is now on the kangaroo food from California Naturals (from Peppers Pet Pantry) - they have free samples- that has helped too, cause we think he is allergic to chicken too.

A visit to the vet is probably a great place to start - then you know if its a true allergy or an infection of some type. (at least let them rule out infection/fungus out) If its allergy - its going to be some trial and error.

I wish you well - hope your pup is feeling better soon.

great shampoo!!!!

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
$500 later I now know the dogs had fleas (I figured that at first, but I guess the first bath killed the live fleas, and my old eyes couldn't see the nits(?) in her thick long fur. She is apparently very sensitive). On the good side we found out she also has a tick borne disease that is causing her joint pain. I have pills to give her for this once the ones for the fleas are gone. She rattles when she walks for all the pills we are giving her, but at least she isn't tearing herself up.

that was one of the questions i tried to ask you in the pm....

never heard from ya. :coffee:

keekee

I use the store brand Gold Bond Powder whenever my dogs get itchy. Use it on the occasional hotspot too. It seems to work very well - and makes them smell kind of minty-good too. Wouldn't work for fleas of course, but it's great for random itchiness.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

Glad you solved the problem for your pup!