Recreational Crabbing

F

Flo

Any recreational crabbers out there?  Has anyone heard how the season is starting out?  My husband enjoys crabbing on the Patuxent, and is looking forward to catching a couple of bushels this weekend.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Flo,

Not sure about the Patuxent River, but they have recently started running fair in the Potomac River.  BTW if your hubby plans on catching more then two dozen a day, and less then a bushel, he will need the new recreational license.   For less then two dozen a day no license required.  Try http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/crab/2001crabproposal.html for more information.

(Edited by Ken King at 5:37 pm on June 11, 2001)

F

Flo

Ken,

Yes, we are aware of the new licensing requirements.  Maybe I should have clarified the name of the license...as he informed me last night it is called a "Sportsman" license for a bushel.  He can catch 2 bushels with another passenger with a "Sportsman's License."

He is set up and rearing to go....maybe today, if he can get off early from work. (o:

(Edited by Flo at 12:27 pm on June 12, 2001)

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Okay,

I guess he's got the license for the boat (sport fishing license).  Seems a lot to pay for the pleasure of plucking a few crabs out of the rivers and bay.

F

Flo

Not a big price for a bushel of tasty crabs in my view; and, if another passenger is on the boat with a license, that's another tasty bushel.  Though the crabs haven't been plentiful the last couple of years, and it is a lot of work, it is great to get out on the water for the day.  He trys to go at least once a week and on weekends.  Can't beat the price for the enjoyment and the taste of Southern Maryland's best delicacy!

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
I haven't heard much on the Patuxent this year, but there usually are a few more crabs there, as they don't allow crab pots.  But you also have more commericial trot liners over there, too.  Crabs have really picked up in the Potomac & Wicomico over the last week-and-a-half, and the crabs are nice.  I caught just short of a bushel Tuesday evening in a couple hours, and they were nice big crabs.  Some say the recent increase in crabs is due to the beginning of "skate" mating season, and has made the crabs run a little closer to shore.  I'm sure that's probably true, as skates love to feast on hard shells.  For whatever reason, I'll take them while I can.

Oh, yeah, I used eel this week instead of my trusty bull lips.  They won't last as long, but they'll work me through this weekend hopefully.

F

Flo

Thanks Tipsey,

He baited his trotline this past weekend with chicken necks, though he had a problem with his boat motor, and it poured down raining.  Placed a classified here searching for a boat motor mechanic.  Do you know anyone experienced in FORCE motors?

Better luck next weekend!!

B

BigBrothaCon

I do some crabbing out on the navy base and can catch usually about 3-5 dozen crabs with a net.  It is alot of fun and you do not need expensive equipment to do it.  Just a net and something to put the crabs in.  I enjoy it and the crabs I catch are mighty tasty.

F

Flo

Bro,

Since I last posted, we went and bought a new "Yamaha" motor.  My husband usually goes out once a week, and catches a bushel or close to it, which is enough for us.  I have froze crab cakes in the past, but haven't had much of a chance this year.  A good ol' crab cake is mighty tasty on a cold, snowy day.  Got a late start, but enjoying them very much.  Hopefully, we will have nice weather up through September.  Have even done some crabbing in the first part of October.

B

BigBrothaCon

Sorry it took so long to reply.  From what I have been told, the best crabbing times are during low tide and the best catch is usually at night.  The tide is usually going out around dusk and the water level in the tributaries goes down alot during a new moon.  That has been the best days for me.  I don't have a boat yet, but next year I plan to have one so I can use a trotline to catch crabs.  That seems to be the best way for recreational crabbers to get crabs.