Reddit Boyfriend, You Need To Dump Your Vegan Girlfriend

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Let’s review what he says, and then I will make a judgment. Here’s the post:

GF was a vegetarian when we started dating and is now completely vegan with no exceptions.
I am very meat conscious, and only eat it on holidays. I try to avoid animal products in general because of my GF, but personally have no problem with eating locally sourced/humane animal products including meat. I also eat eggs daily from my backyard chickens and butter for cooking. GF and I used to rotate cooking meals. GF now refuses to eat the meals I prepare because I use butter in most of my recipes.
I told her if she didn’t like what I made she doesn’t have to eat it, but I feel like I compromised a lot in order to satisfy her lifestyle, and it’s not fair for her to expect me to make completely vegan meals.
She says I am not respecting her choice to be vegan. She says she can’t make me vegan, but the least i could do is prepare vegan meals. I told her that I sacrificed eating lot’s of animal products i enjoy to respect her, while she hasn’t done anything for me. Such as eating my dishes were the only animal product is butter.
I told her I am making meals with no meat, no eggs, but I don’t like the vegan substitute for butter when I make my creamy dishes. such as pot pie (with fake chicken). I am trying to accommodate but it feels like i’m the only one giving anything up
AITA?

You are absolutely not the a-hole.

The vegan here is the a-hole — which tends to always be the case. They’re very demanding. They decide they want to live a certain lifestyle, then it becomes a cult, and they try to force everybody to go along with it — especially those closest to them.

limblips

PREMO Member
Bitch would starve with me. I wonder since the spoiled vegan insists he cater to her when he cooks does she cater to his food choices when she cooks? I would defend him but it is obvious he gave up his man card a long time ago.

gemma_rae

I hope he makes a succulent chateaubriand for himself then turns to her and says "Hunny Bunny, I didn't forget you baby, here's your platter of carrot sticks"

Really, how hard is it to make a platter of carrot sticks for her? On special occasions he can grind'em up in the 'Salad Shooter'!

ThatOneNerd

cut it off and find yourself a girl who if not at least has the same eating habits as you, can understand you and not judge you for what you eat
get out while you still can reddit guy

Grumpy

vegan.jpg

SamSpade

See, I don't know what to think - my gut tells me the vegan is being an ass.

But I'm trying to see it through the lens of - what if it was someone you cared about that embraced Islam or Judaism, and refused to eat dishes that weren't kosher or halal? I thought about if it was gluten or lactose, but that at least is biological - this is a conscious choice, but a choice at least as profound to them as religious conviction.

rio

But I'm trying to see it through the lens of - what if it was someone you cared about that embraced Islam or Judaism, and refused to eat dishes that weren't kosher or halal? I thought about if it was gluten or lactose, but that at least is biological - this is a conscious choice, but a choice at least as profound to them as religious conviction.
Go with your gut on this one😁

But seriously, as in any relationship, there is always some give and take. It's a matter of deciding what's important enough in your life to give and take with your partner. Sometimes those things just don't jive with each other and you need to move along.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

The problem isn't her dietary preferences, it's her demanding HE adhere to them as well. So like if your wife decided to embrace Islam, and demanded you do the same.

SamSpade

I keep reading this thread - and I DO KNOW of people who will lecture you that meat is murder and pester you for your choices in a way extremely UNLIKE the most zealous religious fanatics that I lived with for ten years. They were jerks, but even they wouldn't get as bad as some of these vegan warriors.

On the other hand, I have been in relationships where I made mistakes and did things a little inconsiderate, on the order of "you do know I am allergic to shellfish - and I don't like fish - why do you insist of taking me to seafood restaurants?". Or "honey, I appreciate the present, but I'm on a diet and you know that - you know I can't eat any of this stuff". And I can think of several variations.

AND I've also been the kind of jerk who would make something **ANYWAY** because I think their ideas were stupid or they needed to try something new. I remember a girl I knew who openly said how much she hated Chinese food, and I took her to one ANYWAY. So yeah, *I* was the ass. And I usually assume that these kinds of stories usually portray the writer in the best light possible.

Now, I've changed, of course. I've even decided to go on the same diet as my significant other not because she's MAKING me but because I want to let her know she has my support - and that was MY CHOICE and I offered to do it. But if she won't try lamb or veal, I'm fine with cooking it for myself and she's fine with that.

That said -----

I wouldn't waste two seconds with someone who insisted on ruling what I could do. I'd be gone so fast, you'd think Scotty just beamed me up.