Redskins v. Seahawks game tread...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...I was pondering this this am; we know what we're gonna do; RGIII, Morris, play action and, on D, stop the run and try not to get killed on big plays.

What are they gonna do? Griffin has given people problems because of the option. Even hurt against Dallas, at, what, 70%, Robert picked them apart on the option.

Now, RGIII is a special talent and all but, let's look at the option and the NFL and why it is rare and it's place.

In High School, you ran the option if you had a fast kid who could handle the ball, make rather simple reads.

In college, same thing. You'd have a guy who was never going to make it in the NFL run the option because he was fast, could handle the ball and make a simple read. These kids couldn't drop back and make complex reads and deliver the ball. They were runners, athletes. Not quarterbacks by NFL standards.

So, first, that changed in high school starting probably 20 years ago where more and more, kids wanted to throw the ball. So, it grew but, you still had great athletes who could run it. Now, they were learning at an early age how to read and make throws as well.

So, that moved to college and has culminated in the NFL in three rookies, Luck, RGIII and Wilson, all very successful in college, all good runners, all good readers and all good passers, in the playoffs their rookie years.

Now, going back to high school, I played and was not even a starter. However, what we all knew, what we were taught, what we were coached, was how to stop the option. I was an end/outside linebacker. My job on EVERY play against an option team was the QB. No matter what. He keeps it, you tackle him. He hands off, you hit him. Every single play.

Now, the problem with this was that option QB's were, as I mentioned, great athletes so, they'd make you miss or they'd break tackles or get separation. Same thing in college. Good option teams could be stopped only by good defenses that had great ends and outside LB's.

In the pro's, EVERYONE had great ends and outside LB's so, in addition to college option QB's not being able to pass, they also couldn't defeat ends and LB's in the pro's.

Over time, because they never face it, people like RGIII are feasting on it now because, in the NFL, because there is no option to worry about, ends and LB's do all sorts of things like focus solely on RB's, gap responsibilities, myriad blitzes, getting back in coverage, far more duties than just hit the QB every play.

Well, Pete Carrol was coaching college not too long ago. If it were me, I would make sure my ends and LB's, on every play, took away Robert. Hit him, on every play. Take a PF or two. Just get after him, make him give it to Morris. Dallas failed at this miserably, RG making fools of Dallas's outside guys, time after time, buying the fake. And that's the thing; you IGNORE the fake and go after the QB. Every play.

That is what I think we are in for this weekend so, it's gonna come down to Morris and Robert being able to find open receivers. I gotta think Seattle is not going to let him do to them what he did to Dallas.

:popcorn:

Hank

my war
Dallas failed at this miserably, RG making fools of Dallas's outside guys, time after time, buying the fake. And that's the thing; you IGNORE the fake and go after the QB. Every play.

God! Watching Dallas stop dead in their tracks in slo-mo was embarrassing!

On another note, listening to Warren Moon yesterday on 106.7. I guess he is the Seahawks play by play radio guy... You would think he would learn some player names. He was flubbing every Redskin player name while trying to sound on point.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
...I was pondering this this am; we know what we're gonna do; RGIII, Morris, play action and, on D, stop the run and try not to get killed on big plays.

What are they gonna do? Griffin has given people problems because of the option. Even hurt against Dallas, at, what, 70%, Robert picked them apart on the option.

Now, RGIII is a special talent and all but, let's look at the option and the NFL and why it is rare and it's place.

In High School, you ran the option if you had a fast kid who could handle the ball, make rather simple reads.

In college, same thing. You'd have a guy who was never going to make it in the NFL run the option because he was fast, could handle the ball and make a simple read. These kids couldn't drop back and make complex reads and deliver the ball. They were runners, athletes. Not quarterbacks by NFL standards.

So, first, that changed in high school starting probably 20 years ago where more and more, kids wanted to throw the ball. So, it grew but, you still had great athletes who could run it. Now, they were learning at an early age how to read and make throws as well.

So, that moved to college and has culminated in the NFL in three rookies, Luck, RGIII and Wilson, all very successful in college, all good runners, all good readers and all good passers, in the playoffs their rookie years.

Now, going back to high school, I played and was not even a starter. However, what we all knew, what we were taught, what we were coached, was how to stop the option. I was an end/outside linebacker. My job on EVERY play against an option team was the QB. No matter what. He keeps it, you tackle him. He hands off, you hit him. Every single play.

Now, the problem with this was that option QB's were, as I mentioned, great athletes so, they'd make you miss or they'd break tackles or get separation. Same thing in college. Good option teams could be stopped only by good defenses that had great ends and outside LB's.

In the pro's, EVERYONE had great ends and outside LB's so, in addition to college option QB's not being able to pass, they also couldn't defeat ends and LB's in the pro's.

Over time, because they never face it, people like RGIII are feasting on it now because, in the NFL, because there is no option to worry about, ends and LB's do all sorts of things like focus solely on RB's, gap responsibilities, myriad blitzes, getting back in coverage, far more duties than just hit the QB every play.

Well, Pete Carrol was coaching college not too long ago. If it were me, I would make sure my ends and LB's, on every play, took away Robert. Hit him, on every play. Take a PF or two. Just get after him, make him give it to Morris. Dallas failed at this miserably, RG making fools of Dallas's outside guys, time after time, buying the fake. And that's the thing; you IGNORE the fake and go after the QB. Every play.

That is what I think we are in for this weekend so, it's gonna come down to Morris and Robert being able to find open receivers. I gotta think Seattle is not going to let him do to them what he did to Dallas.

:popcorn:
Depending on how the ref's are calling the game, this could get to be a very expensive way to eliminate an issue.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Depending on how the ref's are calling the game, this could get to be a very expensive way to eliminate an issue.

Yeah, but, that's the beauty of the option, you honestly don't know, in that split second, if he kept it or not. Yes, they can't hold their ground, wait, see that he has handed off and then deck him but, you watch option football defense. The moment the end sees the action, you head for the QB.

cricketmd

This morning "NFL-FOX" camera crew was recording at park near where I work. They were interiewing someone with an earmuffed hat and wearing a burgandy #10 jersey. It was across from Farragut Metro. I look forward to watching the FOX-pregame shows to what all they were talking about. :lol: I have a sneaking suspicion it was about RG3. :lmao:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Keeping RG in the game was the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. It was obvious from the 2nd quarter he was hurting bad and things just progressed down hill from there. Kyle, Mike, and the medical staff sucked on this call.

It was a good season though.

PsyOps

Pixelated
If the Skins want to build on next year they'll start by dumping DeAngelo Hall and Josh Wilson.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Keeping RG in the game was the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. It was obvious from the 2nd quarter he was hurting bad and things just progressed down hill from there. Kyle, Mike, and the medical staff sucked on this call.

It was a good season though.

RG knee. RG knee. If he is one and done, he is still rich.......