Religion and Relationship

signora

forever jewel said:
I couldn't decide which forum to put this under (religion or Dating and Marriage), so I flipped a coin...

Anyway, out of curiousity, how important is religion to you in a relationship? Would you date someone despite differences in religious beliefs? :popcorn:

We all have different views, beliefs when it comes to religion, but I don't think it should stop you from dating someone. However, if you have strong beliefs in your faith where you let those beliefs interfer w/the relationship then most likely it will cause a problem - so you probably shouldn't. The only thing I don't like is when somebody tries to preach me their religion (e.g. "born again") or cut up my religion.

UpChuckMan

Upper Charles County :-)
rack'm said:
It depends on how different their views are.

:yeahthat: For me, having shared beliefs is a fundamental foundation to a relationship. This does not mean that the beliefs have to be identical, nor, does it mean that one (excuse me - two) cannot have a solid relationship without having the same beliefs. Just my personal view of what will work for me.

One added point: Did not work the first time even after 20 years of marriage and three kids!!! So, who really knows.

Last edited:
B

Bronwyn

forever jewel said:
I couldn't decide which forum to put this under (religion or Dating and Marriage), so I flipped a coin...

Anyway, out of curiousity, how important is religion to you in a relationship? Would you date someone despite differences in religious beliefs? :popcorn:

Religion was never a major issue for me, in the past. In fact, my fist husband is an athiest. I went to church without him. Some guys that I dated said they were Christians, but none of them went to church. It earned many brownie points for my current husband though... When we were dating he would drive down here from Frederick County on the weekends. He asked me if I would like him to go to church with me one Sunday. I said yes, and he never asked again, he just kept going. He was a former Catholic, who stopped going to church years ago. After he moved here, he joined my church. He's there more for socializing than anything else. He likes the activities and everything that goes along with it. I'm just happy he goes, and I hope that some day something will hit him right and touch his heart. :huggy:

joeykcp

forever jewel said:

religion does not matter to me in the "dating" relationship
but marriage is a whole different matter

sockgirl77

Religion has no importance to me in a relationship. However, I am not really into religion so I doubt that I'd date a guy with that Jesus fish thing on his car. My family is about as diverse as you can get when it comes to religious background.
Mom- Baptist
Dad- Methodist
Stepmom- Jewish
Stepdad- Catholic
:lol:

sugarmama

sockgirl77 said:
Religion has no importance to me in a relationship. However, I am not really into religion so I doubt that I'd date a guy with that Jesus fish thing on his car. My family is about as diverse as you can get when it comes to religious background.
Mom- Baptist
Dad- Methodist
Stepmom- Jewish
Stepdad- Catholic
:lol:

Um, that's really not that diverse, dummy. :yay:

sugarmama

forever jewel said:

:huggy:

I think that if both partners, for example, are Christians (maybe one is catholic and another is baptist), but maybe not church-going (they just call themselves catholic or baptist), I don't think it would matter much. If they're both extremely "religious" and their days revolve around WWJD, etc... it may be hard to get past that.

On the other hand, if one partner is extremely involved in the church, but the other isn't... not only does the other partner have no interest, but they mock the other partner's views, that's a problem. JMO.

:huggy: