Remember Jeff Davis? Many say forget it

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" It hasn't been easy getting people excited about celebrating the 200th birthday of that tall, gaunt, bearded, Kentucky-bred president who was born in a log cabin and went on to lead his people through a bloody civil war.
ADVERTISEMENT

No, not Abraham Lincoln. Last week, President Bush himself helped kick off a two-year celebration of the Great Emancipator's Feb. 12, 2009, bicentennial that will include dozens of events in Kentucky, Illinois, Washington and beyond.

It's that other tall, log cabin-born Kentuckian, Jefferson Davis, whose 200th has turned out to be something of a lost cause.

"The response to date has been timid," acknowledges Bertram Hayes-Davis, head of the Davis Family Association and great-great grandson of the only president of the short-lived Confederate States of America. "Nobody has said no. Many haven't said yes."

Remember Jeff Davis? Many say forget it - Yahoo! News

T

toppick08

" It hasn't been easy getting people excited about celebrating the 200th birthday of that tall, gaunt, bearded, Kentucky-bred president who was born in a log cabin and went on to lead his people through a bloody civil war.
ADVERTISEMENT

No, not Abraham Lincoln. Last week, President Bush himself helped kick off a two-year celebration of the Great Emancipator's Feb. 12, 2009, bicentennial that will include dozens of events in Kentucky, Illinois, Washington and beyond.

It's that other tall, log cabin-born Kentuckian, Jefferson Davis, whose 200th has turned out to be something of a lost cause.

"The response to date has been timid," acknowledges Bertram Hayes-Davis, head of the Davis Family Association and great-great grandson of the only president of the short-lived Confederate States of America. "Nobody has said no. Many haven't said yes."

If you have the time.........learn the truth.

molake

As a descendant of a Union veteran, I'm saddened to see the squewing of history. Many brave souhern soldiers died for a cause of states rights and imposing federal governement. And modern day political figures and journalist make them out as if they were roudy bands of racists.

C

canuk woman

ADVERTISEMENT

Oh for a minute there I though you meant the really cute but barely seen Whose Liner Jeff Davis.

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
Traitors should be executed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Many...

modern day political figures and journalist make them out as if they were roudy bands of racists.

...were especially the 'Fire eaters'; Yancey, Rhett, Cobb and so forth and, for sure Davis. As was Lincoln and most Northerners.

In fact, pretty much everyone, including most abolitionists, considered African blacks to be an inferior race of people.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Take care of Jane Fonda, then get back to us

Davis was home schooled and served as a dragon in the first dragons?
Sorry, that's as far as I got on the You Tube biography.
How does the tale end? Wearing a woman's dress - I suppose.

Too long ago to rewrite history - let's discuss Hanoi Jane for a while.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok...

...were especially the 'Fire eaters'; Yancey, Rhett, Cobb and so forth and, for sure Davis. As was Lincoln and most Northerners.

In fact, pretty much everyone, including most abolitionists, considered African blacks to be an inferior race of people.

...whoever wrote this;

Maybe that many people were right. right?

...you got me wrong, pal. I'm a content of character person. The point was most people back then judged a person by the color of their skin.