Remember when.....

E

EmptyTimCup

1980. Control Data 1700 pre-processor. Water cooled. 16 K of memory. Took up the floor space of an average living room. Talked to it with a model 17 teletype, one instruction at a time. Manual toggle switches for the IPL (initial program load), and that load came from a punch tape.

That was just the front-end to the Control Data Cyber computer. What a piece of work that thing was....

I have a PDP 11/05 :popcorn:

E

EmptyTimCup

in 1982 in my Into to Data Processing class we dialed in with an acoustic modern to the main frame @ PG Com Collage

in yr 2 we had Trash 80 III's with a serial network ....

I have a PDP 11/05 :popcorn:
:lol: We used one of those as a terminal server for the VAX back in the early 80s'.

in 1982 in my Into to Data Processing class we dialed in with an acoustic modern to the main frame @ PG Com Collage
I learned on a Model 33 Teletype linked to Stony Brook University over a dedicated wire, hosted by a PDP-11/70, '73-'74. Wasn't easy getting time on it as it was SO slow and you had to manually enter and compile all the FORTRTAN source.

I still have my Atari 800 and ALL the bells and whistles. 360 and 720 K 5.25" floppies, comm controller, thermal printer, various OS disks and software, and tons of documentation. Also have every issue printed of Analog magazine, dedicated to the Atari user.

E

EmptyTimCup

:lol: We used one of those as a terminal server for the VAX back in the early 80s'.

The first mainframe I ever worked on were a PDP-11/70 and VAX 11/780. This was right after punch cards got phased out, but we had the toggle switches to load the boot strap on the PDP 11/70, the 11/780 had it's own hard drive, a massive 200MB! :lol:

can someone provide a test sequence for my PDP ?

yrs ago I exchanged emails with an old MF Guy ... and he had provided a basic ..

flip 1,5,6, 15 up press load ....

flip x,y,z ... press load

press run ... all the lights should blink now ... If so your PDP is in working order ... and of course I have lost those load seq by now

:coffee:

E

EmptyTimCup

1980. Control Data 1700 pre-processor.

That was just the front-end to the Control Data Cyber computer. What a piece of work that thing was....

My PDP 11/05 came from a desk housing black planes (with cards) and a box on the top for switching between 4 tape drive units ....

the think must have weighed 500+ lbs with the

3 - 220 V AC 6VDC PSU
PDP 11/05
back planes w/cards