Remembering Challenger

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
At 11:38 am on #ThisDayInHistory in 1986, the Space Shuttle Challenger lifted off from Cape Canaveral, FL. Seventy-three seconds later, the shuttle broke up in a forking plume of smoke and fire. There were no survivors.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I was in a ski lodge drinking a beer and watched it happen.
Sad, sad day.
Then a couple weeks later I left for boot camp.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I was sitting on the end of my bed putting on my socks to get ready for work.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I was fueling up my truck in Trenton, NJ and thought heard it over the radio.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Down here folks are already camped out to view the possible SpaceX launch today. We have an unobstructed view from the campground.

L'Town.girl

Serving overseas in Germany then. Saw it on the Day Room TV. Sad. I think Chernobyl wasn't too far after this too.

gemma_rae

I remember watching Ronald Reagan's statement and bawling my eyes out. "...they've left the surly bonds of earth, reached out, and touched the face of God".

Shoot, my peeps are leaking right now.😢

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
It was Wednesday, Jan. 28th, it was cloudy in Naples. We were working the starboard watch out of supply. My partner is Schmuckatelli. The boss is El Tee. My name's Monello.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
At home watching it on tv. Because it was so unexpected, it took a few minutes for it to sink in that it had blown up. Listening to the narrator at the launch center, he didn't react immediately either, adding to my surprise.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My father had passed away 10 days prior. I was still in a bit of a haze, but remember seeing it on TV. It took a while for me to realize that it really happened.

Grumpy

I was working a food truck and that morning I was listening via the radio. I had read in the paper (fake news back then,too) that the launch window ended at 1030am so when it didn't go by then, I quit listening. Someone later asked me if I heard about the space shuttle blowing up, I said that couldn't be because I thought it was scrubbed. Shocker, very sad day.

The year before I was working at NASA Goddard and Judy Resnick was up at Greenbelt for some reason and I gave her a tour of our computer facility. Very curious lady, lots of questions and very personable.

Wife worked for the Deputy Director at Goddard and they all watched as it happened. Wife said the Director at the time, Noel Hinners, collapsed in a heap when it happened.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I was working a food truck and that morning I was listening via the radio. I had read in the paper (fake news back then,too) that the launch window ended at 1030am so when it didn't go by then, I quit listening. Someone later asked me if I heard about the space shuttle blowing up, I said that couldn't be because I thought it was scrubbed. Shocker, very sad day.

The year before I was working at NASA Goddard and Judy Resnick was up at Greenbelt for some reason and I gave her a tour of our computer facility. Very curious lady, lots of questions and very personable.

Wife worked for the Deputy Director at Goddard and they all watched as it happened. Wife said the Director at the time, Noel Hinners, collapsed in a heap when it happened.
Wow. Talk about being close to it.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The year before I was working at NASA Goddard ...

Goddard was always my favorite field trip when I was in elementary school.

At that time, the Air and Space Museum downtown was still in the Castle.

Grumpy

Goddard was always my favorite field trip when I was in elementary school.

At that time, the Air and Space Museum downtown was still in the Castle.
Really enjoyed my time at Goddard, met a ton of interesting people working there from 1975 through 1983. Lot of golf, tennis and softball leagues for the employees/contractors and the xmas parties were crazy. Worked alot of midnight shifts and spent alot of afternoons at Pimlico or Laurel losing money. :lol:

Was detailed there for 6 months(12 hour shifts,1 day off a week) when they launched the Hubble which showed me how stupid the press was. The group I worked with was responsible for the initial checkout of systems after the launch and, of course, they discovered the problem with the mirror. More than once after press conferences, I saw engineers explaining things to certain reporters so they could understand only to get it totally backwards in the news the next day(Kathy Sawyer of the WaPo most times). The Hubble was in partnership with the European Space Agency so there were a bunch of British engineers at Goddard, smart guys but when work was done, I never met a crazier group. I couldn't hang with them. :lol:

Last edited: