Renting our your home

DallasRed

I will be Renting out my home while I live in Maryland. I have friends and relatives telling me its a bad idea...Won't be in the area..People will trash it etc..

If you have rented your house out can you share your experiences and thoughts about it with me?

TIA : )

wineo

loving life
I will be Renting out my home while I live in Maryland. I have friends and relatives telling me its a bad idea...Won't be in the area..People will trash it etc..

If you have rented your house out can you share your experiences and thoughts about it with me?

Turn it over to a real estate agent, then they can worry about collecting the rent and damages(if any) or repairs. Just an idea, might be worth what they charge for handling it. JMO:coffee:

Jigglepuff

Chin Jiggla!

Also.....don't accept Section 8.

I rented mine in AZ for about fours years. It was a good deal taxwise. I went out once a year (tax deductable) to check on it. Get someone to manage it for you if you have a friend there that would do it. All they have to do is drive by once in a while and be an intermediary. Pay them 5% of the rent (deductable). If something needs doing they make the calls, etc. Get references for renters and give someone you feel would take care of the place well a break on the rent. You can get lease forms etc. online. Oh, I also have managed two rentals for friends.

Don't know if it still applies, but you used to be able to deduct travel expenses on your taxes to check up on your rental property.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Just wouldn't want to be an absentee landlord on a property so far away. But I know many that have done it and did not regret it.

JustTheFax

On the Right Side.
It may be a better idea to rent it out rather than try to sell it now. Property values will go back up and the appreciation combined with the deductions now will be worth it in the long run.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I managed my mother's house in CA when she moved to MD 1985. Never had any problems. Then again, she had to hire someone else when I decided to move out here five years later. She just sold it last year.

sweetpea15

i had my home rented out for 8 years and i listed my house for base housing. that way i got the military families. Never had a problem. They took care of the house like it was their own.

DallasRed

i had my home rented out for 8 years and i listed my house for base housing. that way i got the military families. Never had a problem. They took care of the house like it was their own.

I'll have to look into that...Dobbins isn't that far from my house..NAS Atlanta is gone...

Thanks

onebdzee

off the shelf
I rented mine in AZ for about fours years. It was a good deal taxwise. I went out once a year (tax deductable) to check on it. Get someone to manage it for you if you have a friend there that would do it. All they have to do is drive by once in a while and be an intermediary. Pay them 5% of the rent (deductable). If something needs doing they make the calls, etc. Get references for renters and give someone you feel would take care of the place well a break on the rent. You can get lease forms etc. online. Oh, I also have managed two rentals for friends.

:yeahthat: DON'T use a rental agency!!!

Me and my ex rented our house in Va while we went to Japan....what a disaster....we hired a rental agency to do all the stuff for us(collect deposit and rent, fix all repairs, etc)....the first person they rented it to didn't have the full deposit, then she didn't have her rent....she moved out after a month and a half....the agency didn't even know she was gone....they did nothing but try to rent it again

Which they did....this woman had her full deposit and first months rent....then never paid again....the agency took the "the checks in the mail" excuse for 2 months worth of rent :ohwell:

Of course they got their "fees" for renting it, but they didn't do anything when the renters bailed on the lease...All I got on the phone(long distance from Japan) when I talked to the rental manager was "if you want to go after them for the remainder of the lease, you have to do it yourself"....After 6 months and 2 renters, we got $123....minus 6 months of mortgage payments :ohwell:

flyingdog

Hmmm, I suppose the question you have to ask youself is why you are renting it out? If it is because you know you could not sell it in today's economy then okay. But if you are doing it to try to make a bit of money, then I would say just sell it. By the time you get done with having it sit empty by renting it and then all the time you put in managing it, even with an agent, I can't imagine it being worth it.

That being said, we have been renters the last 3 years and like to think we are great. Never a prob with rent and treat the place like it's our own. Then again, we are moving out, so now he still has to deal with renting it and it is a tough market...we've had at least 12 folks come by and look.

Good luck to you!

Jannifer

We are a rental family and take good care of the house. The owners have it through an agent who takes care of everything. PM me for details. They do a very good screening of who they rent to.