Reporting horse neglect

Josimmon

Can someone tell me who I can call and report neglect of horses and ponies? Yes, I have reported it to the police (Calvert) and they were sending animal control over today but I was hoping to do more. Other then HorseNet and Days End Farm is there anything local they may send out rescue people? Horses are way too boney, ponies are in very small pens with mud and yuck that they are standing in, did not see any hay around and empty water buckets. It broke my heart so I need to do more. Any suggestions?

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
I think you have taken the appropriate steps. Animal control will assess the situation and if they find the animals are being neglected than they will promptly remove them. They already have farms on hand that take in the rescued animals. You can always call animal control yourself to follow up and make sure these animals do not fall through the cracks.

Josimmon

mygoldnhorse said:
I think you have taken the appropriate steps. Animal control will assess the situation and if they find the animals are being neglected than they will promptly remove them. They already have farms on hand that take in the rescued animals. You can always call animal control yourself to follow up and make sure these animals do not fall through the cracks.

Thanks, I will.

somd.enigma

Josimmon said:
Can someone tell me who I can call and report neglect of horses and ponies? Yes, I have reported it to the police (Calvert) and they were sending animal control over today but I was hoping to do more. Other then HorseNet and Days End Farm is there anything local they may send out rescue people? Horses are way too boney, ponies are in very small pens with mud and yuck that they are standing in, did not see any hay around and empty water buckets. It broke my heart so I need to do more. Any suggestions?

Good job on having the guts to call and report it - most wouldn't!!!!

Give us an update on what happens.

SoftballCrazy

somd.enigma said:
Good job on having the guts to call and report it - most wouldn't!!!!

Give us an update on what happens.
Check out SMAWL and the Snowflake Society, which was set up to help horses and other large animals, they may be able to offer input/legal advice/etc as well.
http://www.smawl.org/

Good for you for looking out for those horses/ponies!!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SoftballCrazy said:
WOw, when someone comes on the boards and looks for info or opinions on reporting possible child neglect she/he is told to butt out, what businees is it of yours.. etc etc.. Ask about reporting a horse abuser and you're a friggin hero..

Does anyone else see anything wrong with that?

somd.enigma

itsbob said:
WOw, when someone comes on the boards and looks for info or opinions on reporting possible child neglect she/he is told to butt out, what businees is it of yours.. etc etc.. Ask about reporting a horse abuser and you're a friggin hero..

I find that hard to believe - I would hope that everyone is looking out for all the children & animals. Any form of neglect should be reported to someone. A person that takes the time to report ANY form of neglect is a friggin hero in my book!

fredsaid2

itsbob said:

She's only asking for the situation to be looked into. Maybe the owners just need a little education on care and they'll be fine. If the horses are truly underweight it's best to remedy that now before winter sets in and they lose even more weight.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
itsbob said:

NO..... I do not find anything wrong in asking for assistance/opinions on any subject in which someone is concerned.

But, it what you are saying is true about someone reporting possible child neglect.....I find it very sad to think that person would be told to butt out or to mind their own business. I love my horses, dogs, cat & pig and would never neglect them..... but they do not come close to being compared to my children. Too many people walk around like this :lalala:, and we wonder why this world has become so corrupted?

Last edited:

SoftballCrazy

itsbob said:

Whether its child neglect, elderly neglect, or animal, if something is wrong someone should be notified to have the situation checked out. I don't think I could sit by idly and see a child neglected, its almost the same as committing the crime itself...?? Someone needs to be a voice for those who can't speak for themselves...

Winn Dixie

Song of the South
itsbob said:

I'm afraid I'm with Bob on this one. I don't think he's saying it's wrong to seek the advice or to report it, what he's saying is wrong is that people will jump in like gangbusters to pat the person reporting animal neglect on the back but will attack them concerning child neglect report. Why? For the same reasons more research should go into either suspicion. A skinny horse does not mean a neglected horse anymore than a skinny child means child neglect, it could be an older horse who may just be ribby or hippy. And, after the recent rains, I'm sure you can go through the tri counties and find more than one pony up to it's knees in the mud. Unfortunately, not everyone has stalls to put them in until their pasture or paddocks dry. The point is, caution should be used and questions should be asked before anyone is reported for abuse or neglect. Bob, if I've misunderstood and/or mistated your concerns, I sincerely apologize. However, I do emphasize.

somd.enigma

Winn Dixie said:
I'm afraid I'm with Bob on this one. I don't think he's saying it's wrong to seek the advice or to report it, what he's saying is wrong is that people will jump in like gangbusters to pat the person reporting animal neglect on the back but will attack them concerning child neglect report. Why? For the same reasons more research should go into either suspicion. A skinny horse does not mean a neglected horse anymore than a skinny child means child neglect, it could be an older horse who may just be ribby or hippy. And, after the recent rains, I'm sure you can go through the tri counties and find more than one pony up to it's knees in the mud. Unfortunately, not everyone has stalls to put them in until their pasture or paddocks dry. The point is, caution should be used and questions should be asked before anyone is reported for abuse or neglect. Bob, if I've misunderstood and/or mistated your concerns, I sincerely apologize. However, I do emphasize.

Once again - I'd think anyone that reports any possible neglect would be a hero. Today, it's someone that suspects possible horse neglect - and that's why the people on here are patting them on the back. I didn't see(and haven't seen) anyone talk about reporting child/elder or any other kind of abuse. I'd do the same for them - green all the way

nomoney

itsbob said:

was this a thread I missed?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
nomoney said:
was this a thread I missed?
Don't recall particulars, but it was recent, like this week.

Someone asked advice about if they should, how would they, report possible child neglect.. 1200 people living in a single wide trailer with a 2 yo.. etc etc..

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
somd.enigma said:
Once again - I'd think anyone that reports any possible neglect would be a hero. Today, it's someone that suspects possible horse neglect - and that's why the people on here are patting them on the back. I didn't see(and haven't seen) anyone talk about reporting child/elder or any other kind of abuse. I'd do the same for them - green all the way

:yeahthat:

Josimmon

SoftballCrazy said:
Check out SMAWL and the Snowflake Society, which was set up to help horses and other large animals, they may be able to offer input/legal advice/etc as well.
http://www.smawl.org/

Thanks for the info...have been in contact with Snowflake...they have been great.

Josimmon

itsbob said:

Well I don't know who would react that way to someone reporting on a child...I would hope that anyone who suspected any form of abuse would call someone to at least look into it. I have reported possible abuse to children before. I worked as a crisis counselor for years and can't let possible abuse to anything go without having someone look into it more. Then it was my job, now I just could not live with myself if I ignore bad situations.