research paper

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
The problem is that there are studies done by Dr. Brambledge from NB that show training young (two yr olds) actually help strengthen bone... the study is called the Shin Study... so some of the ideas that racing them young causes more breakdowns than starting them later just doesnt hold water...

Barbaro and Eight Belles stories are tragic, but there are also lots of other "success" stories too...

In my barn is a horse named Grady... he ran 104 times, made 800G and we retired him sound... and he isnt a rare instance...

Racing is a tough sport, and because of the high rate of speed, one mistep can lead to a horrific injury.

And I second calling Linda, she worked with TBs at the track and her family and herself was heavily involved with Trotters....

PM me if I can help you!

Thanks. And I'm glad that thier finding studies to prove the bone stregthen but I'm still going to stick with my opinion and not agree with it cause It's too late to change the paper and I don't wannt start over. So Linda is my best bet.. If I don't hear back tomorrow I will call again

covekat

As far as when a TB stops growing, it's the same as any other horse, usually they are mature at age 5-6... there arent really any drugs to make them run faster, but steroids are used to help build muscle mass, lasix is used to help prevent pulmonary hemmorage, and anti inflamitory drugs (NSAID's) to help reduce inflamation and pain... Lasix and some NSAID's are legal in small dosages... steroid use is on it's way to be being banned, and already is in some states.

Of course your going to have trainers push the envelope with drugs, but it's the same in almost all diciplines if you look hard enough.

One thing to keep in mind is that management of horses comes in different forms, there are good trainers and there are bad trainers, as well as good trainers and good horses that have terrible things happen to them.

Eight Belles had never been given steroids, no illegal drugs were found in her system and was xrayed clean with no apparent injuries before she broke down in the Derby. That being said, there are plenty of TB's that race as two yr olds and never break down, and go on to have productive careers as racehorses.

BlissfulJumper

As far as when a TB stops growing, it's the same as any other horse, usually they are mature at age 5-6... there arent really any drugs to make them run faster, but steroids are used to help build muscle mass, lasix is used to help prevent pulmonary hemmorage, and anti inflamitory drugs (NSAID's) to help reduce inflamation and pain... Lasix and some NSAID's are legal in small dosages... steroid use is on it's way to be being banned, and already is in some states.

Of course your going to have trainers push the envelope with drugs, but it's the same in almost all diciplines if you look hard enough.

One thing to keep in mind is that management of horses comes in different forms, there are good trainers and there are bad trainers, as well as good trainers and good horses that have terrible things happen to them.

Eight Belles had never been given steroids, no illegal drugs were found in her system and was xrayed clean with no apparent injuries before she broke down in the Derby. That being said, there are plenty of TB's that race as two yr olds and never break down, and go on to have productive careers as racehorses.

Would you consider yourself a very informed thoroughbred trainer that has alot of knowledge in this subject? I need to quote someone for the mature age :whistle:

covekat

Nice meeting you too!!! Hopefully we can get together and hit the trails... anytime you want to come down and ride just let me know!

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
I'm writing a research paper for my college class and my topic is. Racehorses deaths are caused because of early starting(or however you want to word it)
My main points to prove my opinion are:
-Joint issues, bones & muscles being underdeveloped because of the early starting and can't take the stress of running so soon.
- Drugs that are given to the horses to make them run faster but have serious fatal side affects.
-and of course the increased death rate of track horses
I then have to have an opposing paragraph to talk about the other sides opinions which I'm going to talk about all the money it boost into the economy and blah blah blah.

But I really need to find a vet/trainer that I can quote to state when thoroughbreds bodies are mature. If anyone knows of any vets/trainers please let me know or if you have any other ideas to help me
TIA

Dr. Stott, the racehorse industry he has been around for years!!

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Would you consider yourself a very informed thoroughbred trainer that has alot of knowledge in this subject? I need to quote someone for the mature age :whistle:

I also heard that some racehorse training barns can have some not so good methods of training that could cause injury to the young horses. I have a rescued mare that was in training on the eastern shore..she ended up with a broken neck. I know you can't believe everything you hear but they never did give an honest explanation as to how her neck got broken...

BlissfulJumper

Nice meeting you too!!! Hopefully we can get together and hit the trails... anytime you want to come down and ride just let me know!

I will probably be sending you a PM with some questions to quote you on if you would not mind me quoting you. It's not for a vet school or anything just a college english paper.

covekat

I also heard that some racehorse training barns can have some not so good methods of training that could cause injury to the young horses. I have a rescued mare that was in training on the eastern shore..she ended up with a broken neck. I know you can't believe everything you hear but they never did give an honest explanation as to how her neck got broken...

There is so many things that could have happened to that horse... probably not related to training unless she fell or got hung up in a hotwalking machine (they are not at the tracks here in MD, but are on some farms)...My friends filly broke her neck out in her pasture, she never knew what really happened either.

I'm not arguing that race training isnt tough on horses, but a decent trainer will know how hard and how fast to push a young horse. Even with the best intentions, injuries do happen.

BlissfulJumper

Grade

I just wanted to let everyone know who helped me with my paper that I received a 95 out of 100 on it :yahoo: Thank you all for your opinions and suggests and thanks to covekat who provided me with a quote!