Respiratory Illness

Agilemom

Maine

I'm from Maine, too. Did you come from Brunswick?

I lived in central Maine (one flashing red light town called Greene for most of it) then in Bath where I met my husband; moved down here after the base closing and stupid Lepage made keeping my job difficult.

"Hard time" lol, that's what I called the summer here last year! Whew! 105, you folks know how to party!

xobxdoc

I lived in central Maine (one flashing red light town called Greene for most of it) then in Bath where I met my husband; moved down here after the base closing and stupid Lepage made keeping my job difficult.

"Hard time" lol, that's what I called the summer here last year! Whew! 105, you folks know how to party!
Did a winter in East Booth Bay. Just a little nippy there.

Catman2

You people are disgusting.....these are nice people that have lost loved ones, and all you jagoffs can do is make stupid Stephen King references and yak about your Maine experiences.....you should be ashamed.

terbear1225

You people are disgusting.....these are nice people that have lost loved ones, and all you jagoffs can do is make stupid Stephen King references and yak about your Maine experiences.....you should be ashamed.

So because people we have never heard of nor met have passed away all conversations in the state should cease? Yes it is a tragic loss for this family, yes we all have utmost sympathy, but the world did not come to an end. No one is being rude, noone has said f em who cares, how is anything that is being discussed in this thread disgusting or offensive?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
According to tv..influenza A. Really strange.

:confused: The flu caused vomiting of blood, CDC involvement and progressed so rapidly it caused several deaths in short period of time?

who knew...:shrug:

I'm seriously going to throw the BS flag at this. No way its influenza A. That does not progress to vomiting blood unless you're a guest star on House (and then you find out you have some unpronounceable disease).
Black mold would have been a better fit if they wanted to keep down hysteria.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I'm seriously going to throw the BS flag at this. No way its influenza A. That does not progress to vomiting blood unless you're a guest star on House (and then you find out you have some unpronounceable disease).
Black mold would have been a better fit if they wanted to keep down hysteria.

They didn't say that Influenza A caused death, they said that tests indicated it. Sounds more like the flu started it, then a nasty secondary infection took over.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Legionnaires' disease is not contagious unless they all got it from drinking dirty water in the home but that really is unlikely. Septicemia is not contagious. strachybotrys atra a strain of black mold is highly dangerous but something about 4 people getting sick and some dying from it... I dunno and I'm thinking with the mentioning of vomiting blood being a factor it isn't black mold ... I really think this could be an intentional poisoning. :shrug:

Last edited:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Running the reported symptoms through Web Md's symptom checker results in the following possibilities: Viral syndrome, bacterial pneumonia, influenza (flu)-adults (top 3 with highest percentage). Any one of these could have led to complications that could prove to be fatal to some people.

First of all, I am sending out thoughts and prayers to the family members of this family that has suffered such a horrific loss.

Secondly, could the rest of us please get off of the panic wagon? Flu season is just getting started around here and it is a late start. Flu cases are just beginning to be reported here in Maryland and we're a bit behind some of the other states. Flu has always had the capability of producing fatalities, especially in those who are elderly or have other health issues. That's why they put such an emphasis on flu shots each year.

Take the normal flu precautions -- hand-washing, covering sneezes & coughs and all of the other things suggested by the health department in all of their publications. And the biggest -- if you are sick, stay the hell home! Do not try to "tough it out" because you are "necessary" at your job. Hate to break it to you but if something happened to you, they'd replace you soon enough. Please do not bring your illness around those of us who aren't sick.

Most especially, if your children are sick, KEEP THEM HOME!!! Little ones are notorious for not remembering the hand-washing/sneezing/coughing rules and things spread very, very quickly in schools.:coffee:

MarieB

My sister, who is a nurse, said that the kids probably got the staph infection (bacteria) from taking care of the mom. (Which the mom could have gotten it in the hospital depending on the timeline)

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
We should remember that the "vomiting blood" symptom was rep8rted here on somd..not official releases..so take it with a grain of salt. It also says they were sick for two weeks..not that they died in 24 hrs..again, that was reported on somd not in official releases. Over age 50 (which all the victims were) increases your chance of dying from respitory illnesses. It is very possible that they had influenza which in turn caused severe distress/pneumonia..no mention of subtype that I heard..what's rather strange is that 3 of them died..flu can def be fatal..but not usually such a high incidence..unless they had some kind of genetic problem that left them particularly suceptible..just a really strange outcome...

Pete

Repete
We should remember that the "vomiting blood" symptom was rep8rted here on somd..not official releases..so take it with a grain of salt. It also says they were sick for two weeks..not that they died in 24 hrs..again, that was reported on somd not in official releases. Over age 50 (which all the victims were) increases your chance of dying from respitory illnesses. It is very possible that they had influenza which in turn caused severe distress/pneumonia..no mention of subtype that I heard..what's rather strange is that 3 of them died..flu can def be fatal..but not usually such a high incidence..unless they had some kind of genetic problem that left them particularly suceptible..just a really strange outcome...

You need some surgical masks?

MarieB

The Washington Post reported the it

Tests confirmed the siblings who died had a strain of flu virus known as influenza A, and each also acquired a serious staph infection, according to Orlowski. She said it was unlikely the infection was acquired in the hospitals because the siblings arrived coughing blood. “It’s likely they came to the hospital with the infection, which is what caused the cough and fever,” Orlowski said.
Janis Orlowski, chief medical officer at the hospital center

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/three-dead-from-cluster-of-respiratory-illnesses-in-calvert-county-md/2012/03/06/gIQAztDDvR_story.html