• Don't Know/Care

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Toxick said:
Pluto retains its Planet status.
Interesting. Textbooks manufacturers are rejoicing. :lol: And it may soon have more company:

An international panel has unanimously recommended that Pluto retain its title as a planet, and it may be joined by other undersized objects that revolve around the sun.

bcp

In My Opinion
I thought Pluto was a cartoon dog?

after posting this I decided to read all the comments.

as it would be normal in my case, I find that my insightful post was already covered by other posters with obviously greater cranial capacity than I am in possession of.

carry on.

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
OrneryPest said:
I'm perfectly happy to call Pluto a planet. In effect, that means that several other big things out beyond Pluto oughta be accepted as planets, too.

Hey, we can use all the planets we can get!

For the love of God,,

Please stop making posts that beg me to make comments about my mother in law,,, you know, the fuzzy faced planet with the noxious gas emissions.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
bcp said:
Please stop making posts that beg me to make comments about my mother in law,,, you know, the fuzzy faced planet with the noxious gas emissions.
Think positively: maybe you can convince NASA to strap her to a booster rocket and release her into orbit. :yay:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
The International Astronomical Union's Planet Definition Committee has proposed a new, official definition:

http://spaceweather.com/

"A planet is a celestial body that (a) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and (b) is in orbit around a star, and is neither a star nor a satellite of a planet." [full text]

In plain language, if it's round and it orbits the Sun, then it's a planet.

On August 24th, astronomers gathered at the IAU General Assembly in Prague will vote on the proposal, yea or nay. If it passes, the Solar System will have twelve planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto and Charon (a double planet) and 2003 UB313.

Draft Resolution 5 for GA-XXVI: Definition of a Planet
http://www.iau2006.org/mirror/www.iau.org/iau0601/iau0601_resolution.html

Toxick

Splat
Finally we can all stop saying "My Very Educated Mother Just Showed Us Nine Planets."

It is now: "My very education mother can juxtipose soundly upon politically-correct stuff"

Doesn't quite have the same ring.