• Jack Nicholson's "Joker"

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Jim Carrey's 'Mask"

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I voted for the Joker, but I have to say that both characters are among my favorites, and equally entertaining.

SamSpade

I think both are largely forgotten. This would be like saying who was the bigger star, Olivier or Burton? Answer? Doesn't matter, too many today don't remember them. Jack Nicholson's Joker was 17 years ago. The Mask was 12. Try saying things like "Somebody stop me" and "Ssssssmokin'!" and it doesn't register.

But neither does "Wait'll they get a load of me" or "Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?". People have forgotten them.

You know what DOES amaze me? Star Wars. The originals. Kids STILL want Darth Vader toys, and he hasn't been in a movie in twenty years.

Tina2001aniT

SamSpade said:
I think both are largely forgotten. This would be like saying who was the bigger star, Olivier or Burton? Answer? Doesn't matter, too many today don't remember them. Jack Nicholson's Joker was 17 years ago. The Mask was 12. Try saying things like "Somebody stop me" and "Ssssssmokin'!" and it doesn't register.

But neither does "Wait'll they get a load of me" or "Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?". People have forgotten them.

You know what DOES amaze me? Star Wars. The originals. Kids STILL want Darth Vader toys, and he hasn't been in a movie in twenty years.

The mask was 12 years ago?? :faint:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
SamSpade said:

I haven't forgotten. :howdy: I'd know exactly what someone was referring to if they quoted either. :shrug:

SamSpade

Nickel said:
I haven't forgotten. :howdy: I'd know exactly what someone was referring to if they quoted either. :shrug:

I realize that YOU might - but - I work with recent college grads. They were in kindergarden when "Batman" came out. I also have nephews and nieces - they never *HEARD* of "The Mask". Scary, but that's the way it is.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nickel said:
I'd know exactly what someone was referring to if they quoted either.
So would my older kids - 19 and 23. And I think they'd recognize the Mask's lines before they'd recognize the Joker's, but daughter (19) said "the Joker" yesterday when the question was put to her.

Shoulda said signature lines and made her guess who said them.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
SamSpade said:
I realize that YOU might - but - I work with recent college grads. They were in kindergarden when "Batman" came out. I also have nephews and nieces - they never *HEARD* of "The Mask". Scary, but that's the way it is.
I'm not much older than that...24.

SamSpade

Nickel said:
I'm not much older than that...24.

Every once in a while, I'll be in a group of folks with big differences in age - and someone will quote "Taxi Driver" or Richard Pryor or "Young Frankenstein" or whatever - and others will look at them as though they had three heads. And I realize that for some, if the movie was made before 1985, it didn't happen. I can't quote "Sunset Boulevard" or "All About Eve" or "On the Waterfront" or "Casablanca" and even get a response. Not too long ago, I said something like "you know how to whistle, don't you?" and NO ONE had any idea I was quoting a movie line.

Do you know what it's like to say something like "we're gonna need a bigger boat" and not get a response - but even have people not react to "you think they'll have THAT on the tour?" is already too old. (What does strike me as funny is people often quote movies, and don't realize the source - such as "be afraid - be VERY afraid".)

We're all fast approaching a time when our audience will have NO connection to the movies we knew.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SamSpade said:
We're all fast approaching a time when our audience will have NO connection to the movies we knew.
I don't really mind that so much. I tend to like having an inside joke, even though it used to be common pop culture.

We'll be sitting with a group and Larry will say, "Yooou...are my number one....uh-guuuyyy..." and it sends me on the floor with laughter while the others are just looking at us like we're from the moon.

:lmao:

What I do to him that nobody else seems to get is we'll get a waiter or someone who's just scary and I'll go, "Ohhnnn wait...was she a great big fat person?" and it kills him every time. :lol:

SamSpade

vraiblonde said:
What I do to him that nobody else seems to get is we'll get a waiter or someone who's just scary and I'll go, "Ohhnnn wait...was she a great big fat person?" and it kills him every time. :lol:

I think what I do is, sometimes I'll make references to movies that - well - maybe *I'VE* seen, and my friends have seen - but others haven't heard of. Like "Army of Darkness" - "Lady - you got reaaaaal ugly" or
"They Live" - "I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick azz - and I'm all out of bubble gum" or
"The Princess Bride" - "Sleep well, and dream of large women".

It gets laughs from a few, but I have to realize that the references will fall flat for a lot of people.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
I have a more important question... find an addition to my afternoon snack? Or wait and load up at dinner? :stillhungry:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
And, I voted for "The Mask" as the movie and his outrageousness, I feel, made him more prominent...