riding for work

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
I'm getting ready to start riding a horse at my farm for a girl who can't make it out everyday when her horse needs ridden everyday. i plan on doing some training(not serious) but like head and jumping work. How much would you charge? I'll end up riding about 4 days a week. should i charge by week or ride?

devinej

For training, I charge by session if its once per week, but I charge per week if its several times per week. Once per week - $30, if its several times per week, I would say closer to $15-$20/session. That's without having to drive. I hear many people charge more than that. But if its for a friend, and its mostly excersising, I would def. charge less.

Last edited:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I charge by session. Generally $30. I'm hired for training, not just excersizing. I hear many people charge more than that. But if its for a friend, and its mostly excersising, I would def. charge less.

Teki was happy to see me tonight :whistle: I just got back in

BlissfulJumper

see me being 16 and whatnot i don't consider myself anywhere near a trainer. i use to own the horse and sold her to two sisters and they kinda slipped on her training and would like some help with her and seeing as i know the horse it would be easier for me to do it instead of another person cause i know how the horse use to go and blah blah blah but i don't wanna waste 2 hours of my time that could be for my horse without a reward ya know? i was thinking $15 a session but if i ride 4 times a week that adds up

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
see me being 16 and whatnot i don't consider myself anywhere near a trainer. i use to own the horse and sold her to two sisters and they kinda slipped on her training and would like some help with her and seeing as i know the horse it would be easier for me to do it instead of another person cause i know how the horse use to go and blah blah blah but i don't wanna waste 2 hours of my time that could be for my horse without a reward ya know? i was thinking $15 a session but if i ride 4 times a week that adds up

If you are BOTH happy with it..go for it..

devinej

BJ- Makes sense. talk to the owner, see what she's willing to pay you. I think $10/hour would be fair if its worth it to them.

haha pase, glad teki is happy. she was pretty good tonight

Robin

One thing to remember there is not set price in what someone is willing to pay for a service in the Equine industry. Work out something that is fair for you, your time, and a benefit for the horse. It is no different than getting paid at your job. Its your time and how well you value it. Good luck, just dont over commit to take away from your own riding.

BlissfulJumper

BJ- Makes sense. talk to the owner, see what she's willing to pay you. I think $10/hour would be fair if its worth it to them.

that's what i was starting to think cause then that would be forty dollars a week and that's not bad considering i have alot to do to get the horse back to where it was when i sold it but we shall see. thanks for the help!

BlissfulJumper

One thing to remember there is not set price in what someone is willing to pay for a service in the Equine industry. Work out something that is fair for you, your time, and a benefit for the horse. It is no different than getting paid at your job. Its your time and how well you value it. Good luck, just dont over commit to take away from your own riding.

ya the owner is kinda one of those people that has money but doesn't wanna put it out. sorta. but i'm still young and energetic ans still love riding so riding two horses isn't that bad seeing as my new one is pretty well behaved and doesn't need that heavy of a workout

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?

She was happy I took her off the wall...:killingme

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Does a Junior getting paid to train or school a horse run into the same problem an Amateur rider might have?:whistle: I'm not that familiar with the Junior rider situation as much as the Amateur. Just don't want there to be a conflict for BlissfulJumper.

spellbound

What about liability?
BlissfulJumper, you/your parents could be held legally responsible if anything happens to the horse while you are riding/training it.

pmsmare

I'm getting ready to start riding a horse at my farm for a girl who can't make it out everyday when her horse needs ridden everyday. i plan on doing some training(not serious) but like head and jumping work. How much would you charge? I'll end up riding about 4 days a week. should i charge by week or ride?

They might blame you, if by you jumpng the horse it becomes lame. You have sold this horse? It is no longer yours. It is there responsibility to ride the horse and keep it fit. I have seen this heart string situation go wrong too many times. Suggest another trainer or student at that barn and don't get involved. Your transaction is finished unless you stated it in the sale of the horse.

BlissfulJumper

i don't want it to conflict with my riding and my status. and i'm going to check to see if it does but i don't think it does. i'm not "training" the horse. But seeing as i use to own her the girls feel comfortable with me riding the horse because I USE TO and knows exactly what the horse needs. The girls know about the commitment but they have other sports and wahtnot just like any other teenage girl. They ride twice a week but would like the horse to be kept in shape more and i'm willing to do it and if i do ride the horse i will write a contract saying i am not resposible and whatnot. i'm not that stupid

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
These people are right...there are liability issues on BOTH sides...if the horse hurts you, and if you hurt the horse. Contracts between your parents and the owners would be best and do it up front to protect all involved. There are simple contracts that can be downloaded on the web. Good luck to you!

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
i will write a contract saying i am not resposible and whatnot. i'm not that stupid
Easy killer!:lmao: Nobody is suggesting you are not smart enough to piece this together. They (and I) were merely offering suggestions to protect you. I have been around horses for many years, and I still welcome suggestions...and I don't take them as an insult. On that note, remember that since you are a minor, your signature is not a binding contract...to solidify it you will need your parents signature on it too (this protects them as well because if you hurt the horse, the owners would sue your parents). Just food for thought....I got paid to ride track lay-up horses at 15, so I now the situation you are facing...it can be done easily and be a nice source of income ... most kids your age make 6 bucks an hour flipping burgers...here you could make about twice that doing something you love! Go for it!:howdy: