riding for work

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
Easy killer!:lmao: Nobody is suggesting you are not smart enough to piece this together. They (and I) were merely offering suggestions to protect you. I have been around horses for many years, and I still welcome suggestions...and I don't take them as an insult. On that note, remember that since you are a minor, your signature is not a binding contract...to solidify it you will need your parents signature on it too (this protects them as well because if you hurt the horse, the owners would sue your parents). Just food for thought....I got paid to ride track lay-up horses at 15, so I now the situation you are facing...it can be done easily and be a nice source of income ... most kids your age make 6 bucks an hour flipping burgers...here you could make about twice that doing something you love! Go for it!:howdy:

i know exactly what you mean. even the nicest people can turn on you and sue. but i was getting defensive because it almost seemed like some people were :elaine: this hole thing doesn't affect my status at shows just liek the one person said its 18 and the party is over im assuming because im a minor. but i would love to ride as a job sorta kinda because i show and have my own horse and most "Student jobs" don't have flexible enough schedules.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
but i was getting defensive because it almost seemed like some people were :elaine: this hole thing doesn't affect my status at shows just liek the one person said its 18 and the party is over im assuming because im a minor.

I'm not sure what this means, it looks like your saying two different things, so just to clarify. BZ asked if getting paid to ride would effect your status at shows. Since adults who get paid to ride are considered professionals and can not ride as amatuers. Bosox says that under the age of 18 you can get paid to ride and it will not effect your status, ie you will not be considered a professional.

I think you understand that, but just in case I wanted to clarify.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Here is the AQHA 2008 rule book.
AQHA - HANDBOOK OF RULES AND REGULATIONS
If you cannot find what you are looking for, call them.
In many cases if you are receiving money for working with horses they (AQHA) will consider it training, even if what you are doing has nothing to do with what you show.
Good Luck.

Thanks Bosox and showqueen.:howdy: In my teen years growing up I use to condition peoples field hunters for the up coming Hunt Season. I was paid and never thought anything of it.

I wasn't trying to get :offtopic:, but the the topic of getting paid for any type horse service and a riders status sometimes has some grey areas. Plus rules vary from USEF, USHJA, & AQHA to name a few.

The insurance issue was another great point being brought up.

Bliss that is great that you want to help the new owners with your previous horse. Good luck with that.