Riding Lessons?

LostAngel

Is there any place in SOMD to get horseback riding lessons? I am in Waldorf - so a place nearer here would be great - but I can drive elsewhere on the weekends. The lessons would be for my 2 year old daughter who is so passionate about horses! She's done several pony rides and had one real lesson in another state, while visiting a friend. That horse was a full size horse and she did fantastic!

Thanks!

Robin

Is there any place in SOMD to get horseback riding lessons? I am in Waldorf - so a place nearer here would be great - but I can drive elsewhere on the weekends. The lessons would be for my 2 year old daughter who is so passionate about horses! She's done several pony rides and had one real lesson in another state, while visiting a friend. That horse was a full size horse and she did fantastic!

Thanks!
Most riding instructors would prefer not to give a student that young lessons. Most start at 5-6 years old.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm

Thanks!

She is too young. Stick with pony rides attached to leadline.

west

she probably is too young but i take my daughter to a farm in waldorf for riding lessons, called Bristol Heart Farm, they have a website you can check out at bristolheartfarm.com

Unbelievable

Spay and Neuter Your Pets
Most riding instructors would prefer not to give a student that young lessons. Most start at 5-6 years old.

I agree, both from a psychological and physiological standpoint. Obviously, from a psychological standpoint the child can't really grasp the principles of equitation and from a physiological standpoint even the act of holding the helmet on the head may be too strenuous for a 2 year old's neck muscles and will interfere with their balance. I would suggest their interest be maintained by visiting farms and reading until they have developed sufficiently. JMO, of course.:howdy:

bosox

Denise doesn't ride at all...only her daughter. Her daughter is a teenager. The address you provided is in a subdivision and there is no farm there at all and they live in Mechanicsville.

Continue to do pony rides--two years old is way too young. Most instructors can not take children before 5 years old due to insurance reasons. The two year old's ability to follow a set of instructions is limited, their dexterity is limited and not refined, their critical thinking is not developed and they won't be able to articulate the things that are going on underneath them if they are having a problem. Not that five year olds can do all of the above things well but they have a better attention span than a two year old and some of the above skills are starting to develop. This is an expensive sport, so save your money while you can!:biggrin:

KingFish

Nothing to see here
Denise doesn't ride at all...only her daughter. Her daughter is a teenager. The address you provided is in a subdivision and there is no farm there at all and they live in Mechanicsville.

That was the best I could do with google. :cheers:

LostAngel

11-27-2007 08:16 AM are you stupid?

Just noticed this. . . . I guess I am stupid - my daughter has a passion and I'm going to let her follow it! Guess I'm just one of those awful mothers who feels that letting their child explore various activites early in life, will set them up for great things later in life by giving her the option to discover what she likes and is good at . . . . what on earth was I thinking?!

FWIW - I'm not looking for someone to teach my child how to jump horses - merely the opportunity to ride a horse and really get to know the animal while being walked in a circle by a trained guide. Kinda like the county fair - with the exception that it runs more than a couple times a year.

Thank you for the suggestions, whether you agreed with me or not.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
11-27-2007 08:16 AM are you stupid?

Just noticed this. . . . I guess I am stupid - my daughter has a passion and I'm going to let her follow it! Guess I'm just one of those awful mothers who feels that letting their child explore various activites early in life, will set them up for great things later in life by giving her the option to discover what she likes and is good at . . . . what on earth was I thinking?!

FWIW - I'm not looking for someone to teach my child how to jump horses - merely the opportunity to ride a horse and really get to know the animal while being walked in a circle by a trained guide. Kinda like the county fair - with the exception that it runs more than a couple times a year.

Thank you for the suggestions, whether you agreed with me or not.

Just ignore the negative karma givers. The peeps on here are just trying to give you good advice to save your money. There are instructors out there that would be more than happy to take your $40 for a pony ride. If you do choose to do that buy her a real helmet and stay close to her the entire time. I was showing horses at 3, but I have been around horses my entire life. Good luck.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I took my little one on a buddy saddle behind me when she turned 4. By the time she was 5, she had developed her balance to the point she was flapping her arms and screaming WHEEEEEEEEEEE FASTER MOMMY, while we loped down the trail, at that point my trail companions told me she she was ready to navigate onto her own pony.

We put her in lessons and found her a 28 year old sweetie with cushings who she developed her skills on by following us on the trails for 2 years until the sad day came, and we were forced to find her next pony, purchased from her old lesson barn, and she further developed another 2 years on that one-that one is currently being free leased by a wonderful family with a 4 year old and doing lead line shows with her. Now at 10 my daughter rides better than most adults and many on this list can attest to that. her day will come if you are in a position to encourage it.

My little 20 month old granddaughter is doing the same thing, she's a natural horse person already - my horses instantly navigate towards her when she pops our of the SUV. I would NEVER put her on the back of a horse without me standing right by her side the entire time, and if i do it's on something i can for the most part, predict it's actions. when she is 4 and physically strong enough to stay in the buddy saddle, we'll do the same with her as i did with my daughter.

ElliesMom

I too have buddied my daughter since she was 2. (those kiddie harness are great!) Its also good that as long as my mare has a buddy she isnt stupid so I felt safe with that and a helmet too!

Personally I dont see any point in letting her even attempt to go solo untill she is 6 and shows some modicum of responsibility.

If you can find someone who is willing to try and teach a 2 yr old, then try. I highly doubt there are a lot of people out there willing to do it though. Untill then I hope you have good friends that help you pursue your daughters interest in horses.

Its never too early to teach kids about animals (as long as your safe).

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
This is my daughter when she was around 5

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 101

Eventer29

My parents had me on the backs of horses before i could walk. I was showing in leadline and walk at 3 on my not so angelic shetland pony. Lil sis (3 yrs younger) felt she had to keep up with me was WTC and jumping small jumps at 4. Certainly didnt seem to hurt us any. Of course when we were little mom was right there with us. We learned at a VERY early age how to act around horses. The only time i remember mom beating our butts was when we did stupid dangerous stuff around horses.
Id say if you can find someone who will do the lessons go for it. Keep it slow, and very short lessons. If it were my child I'd prefer a small pony too.

netherfield

Thanks!
Try AMIT Farm. (A Moment In Time) They're in the book. Ask for Bobby and he'll work with you. The lessons might not be "riding" as much as leading, grooming, etc. By the time she's 4 she'll be a champ at all that stuff.