Riding Mower

SamSpade

Just two years old, ran fine a couple weeks ago, went downstairs - turns once or twice - nothing. Charge it up - full charge - no difference. Full tank - oil looks fine - gives one click - and nothing.

I’m kind of stumped. It doesn’t want to start but clearly has the juice to turn it once.

It’s kind of acting as though I didn’t have the brake pushed down.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
It could be "hydrolocked". Take the spark plug out and try to turn it over. Careful, it may spit raw gas out the plug hole, keep the spark plug wire grounded so there's no spark.

If it spins, there was excess fuel in the piston from a leaky carb. Once you clear the hydrolock, put the plug back in and try to start it.

SamSpade

It could be "hydrolocked". Take the spark plug out and try to turn it over. Careful, it may spit raw gas out the plug hole, keep the spark plug wire grounded so there's no spark.

If it spins, there was excess fuel in the piston from a leaky carb. Once you clear the hydrolock, put the plug back in and try to start it.
Thanks I’ll try that tomorrow.

I recall one other thing - performance was sluggish last time I used it.

limblips

PREMO Member
Not saying this is your problem but if all other solutions don't work be aware that most of those engines use a centrifigal compression release that opens the exhaust valve ~.003 to let the starter crank the motor. They are known to fail. Bad news because it requires you to replace the camshaft since it is part of it. If it is bad the motor will just crank until it gets up on compression. Not a hard job but a PITA.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Not saying this is your problem but if all other solutions don't work be aware that most of those engines use a centrifigal compression release that opens the exhaust valve ~.003 to let the starter crank the motor. They are known to fail. Bad news because it requires you to replace the camshaft since it is part of it. If it is bad the motor will just crank until it gets up on compression. Not a hard job but a PITA.
Briggs Intek motors were notorious for this.

gemma_rae

Transaxle in reverse?
🤔Hmm. Yeah, I can kinda see it.

1716222920628.png

SamSpade

Ok.... time to play, "Let's Make a Mountain out of a Mole Hill!!!" :lol:

Closest. Battery was dead as a doornail. Loaned him one until he gets a replacement.
In my defense - I have charged that m-fer for days. It just blows.

Anyway, thanks a lot, I had a gut feeling it was something simple. Get you the loaner back soon.

Clem72

In my defense - I have charged that m-fer for days. It just blows.

Anyway, thanks a lot, I had a gut feeling it was something simple. Get you the loaner back soon.
I haven't replaced the starter battery for my lawn tractor or quad or motorcycle for years. I have a cheapo lithium jump-starter and I just use that to start everything. Cheaper/easier than leaving everything hooked up to a battery maintainer and helps keep it theft-proof.

Blister

I haven't replaced the starter battery for my lawn tractor or quad or motorcycle for years. I have a cheapo lithium jump-starter and I just use that to start everything. Cheaper/easier than leaving everything hooked up to a battery maintainer and helps keep it theft-proof.
I've done the same thing for 5 or 6 years.