Rifle accessories...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Burned some powder in a Remmy 308 this afternoon, prevailing winds to my right and from behind me averaging 11 to 18 mph.
First target with finished load work was at 550 yds, and second was at 800.
American Steel Baby. ]

Damn! I can't SEE that far!

black dog

Free America
Nice. No locations around me that even allow that kind of distance.

Bridgeville,DE. Out to 1000 yds
Quantico Rifle & Pistol Club out to 1000+
Ft Meade Club I have shot 600 there they might have a longer range but I have never shot it.
are about it for you all unless you head to WV.

Wishbone

Bridgeville,DE. Out to 1000 yds
Quantico Rifle & Pistol Club out to 1000+
Ft Meade Club I have shot 600 there they might have a longer range but I have never shot it.
are about it for you all unless you head to WV.

I don't have the kind of time to drive out that far for an hour or so range time. Until I relocate in the near future, i'll have to stick with the short line at Sanners.

Did have two friends that were talking of making a day of driving out to Peacemaker National, which is where I assume you meant by WV. I've heard a lot of good reviews about their facility.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Burned some powder in a Remmy 308 this afternoon, prevailing winds to my right and from behind me averaging 11 to 18 mph.
First target with finished load work was at 550 yds, and second was at 800.
American Steel Baby.
View attachment 117487

View attachment 117488

I shot small bore competition in my teens.. 50 feet, and 50 meter targets. Our "ten" was a pinhead.. a dot on the paper.

Always wanted to try my hand at long range competition, M1 Garand Match Grade and the like.. but not sure BG would be ok with the outlay of $$$$ to do it.

Father-in-law back in the day did it, and talked of 1/2 mile (880 yards?) targets.. and at the extreme 1 mile targets..

Just to put a hole in the paper at 1/2 mile would make me smile.

black dog

Free America
I don't have the kind of time to drive out that far for an hour or so range time. Until I relocate in the near future, i'll have to stick with the short line at Sanners.

Did have two friends that were talking of making a day of driving out to Peacemaker National, which is where I assume you meant by WV. I've heard a lot of good reviews about their facility.

My son has shot there along with a few friends, they all speak very highly of it.
Good Luck with your move.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It's good to know that the rules get tossed aside when goofing around. Loudest noise you will ever hear is a empty gun going
" Bang "
Closed bolt, mag in and it looks like the booger hook is on the bang switch, soft tissue for a front rest for starters. Lots of rules being broken, lots of dead folks out there from breaking the basic rules.

I agree with you.

I've seen the aftermath of a close range 7.62 that was empty..

black dog

Free America
I shot small bore competition in my teens.. 50 feet, and 50 meter targets. Our "ten" was a pinhead.. a dot on the paper.

Always wanted to try my hand at long range competition, M1 Garand Match Grade and the like.. but not sure BG would be ok with the outlay of $$$$ to do it.

Father-in-law back in the day did it, and talked of 1/2 mile (880 yards?) targets.. and at the extreme 1 mile targets..

I grew up shooting high power with my Gfather, I started with pit duty ( pulling target frames up and down pasting targets ) and around 9 or 10 with a 03A3 then on to a few Garands and then M14's and I still shoot all of them.
Springfields, Garands and M14's are mostly used in the vintage high power matches but occasionally you see them at local & state matches.
Everyone shoots AR platforms now, semi auto or bolt AR's.
You can buy a Garands through CMP for 750 + - bucks and up.
You can go shoot a high power seminar at Fort Meade through Maryland State Rifle & Pistol and they will supply everything you need.
That will fulfill some of the required parts of buying a Garands from CMP.
Plus lots of learning that weekend shooting out to 600 yds.

It really doesn't have to cost tons of money to shoot Long Distance,
Look at Gilligan, rumor has it he can kill a 8 ft round steel circle at 500 yds with vintage Russian equipment :dye: :whistle: :dye:

Also look into shooting a few Appleseed's and then a known distance Appleseed.
It's a gas to shoot 22's out to 300 yards. It will work your math skills.

black dog

Free America

My teenage son shoots a few different disciplines with rimfire.
My dad and I put him in a new Anschutz 22 repeater last year, most expensive firearm I have ever bought. Sights were over a grand.
He was shooting my brother's and my Anschutz my dad bought in 1967, the stock cracked for a second time and it just wasn't worth it to restock the rifle. Plus it is a single shot.

Two friends that I shoot with had bolt 338 Lapua's built for shooting a mile.
They bought new Savage rifles and took them to Robert Stenski's ( gunsmith ) to have him rebarrel them with Bartlin barrels.
They hope to succeed by summer's end this year.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It really doesn't have to cost tons of money to shoot Long Distance,
Look at Gilligan, rumor has it he can kill a 8 ft round steel circle at 500 yds with vintage Russian equipment :dye: :whistle: :dye:.

No rumor. That PSL (7.62x54r, or course) of mine rings steel smaller than that quite regularly at 500 yards, shooting fairly inexpensive "match grade" ammunition and still with the POSP scope. It does pretty darned good with the cheap surplus ammo too, although I stopped shooting corrosive ammo in it.

Not a Dragunov...but then who can afford one of those? ;-)

One of my many regrets is not getting a Chandler rifle built for me before Rocky passed on. We talked about it. He loved my collection. But the "where to shoot it" part always gets in the way of progress.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You can go shoot a high power seminar at Fort Meade through Maryland State Rifle & Pistol and they will supply everything you need.
That will fulfill some of the required parts of buying a Garands from CMP.
Plus lots of learning that weekend shooting out to 600 yds.

THIS has captured my interest..

black dog

Free America
No rumor. That PSL (7.62x54r, or course) of mine rings steel smaller than that quite regularly at 500 yards, shooting fairly inexpensive "match grade" ammunition and still with the POSP scope. It does pretty darned good with the cheap surplus ammo too, although I stopped shooting corrosive ammo in it.

Not a Dragunov...but then who can afford one of those? ;-)

One of my many regrets is not getting a Chandler rifle built for me before Rocky passed on. We talked about it. He loved my collection. But the "where to shoot it" part always gets in the way of progress.

I met pops at a match / seminar a lifetime ago, junior and I chewed some of the same dirt.
Hell, didn't he spent a bunch of time up the road from you ?
But when was the last time he actually worked on a rifle? 1985 maybe..
For what Norman wants for one of his rifles and accuracy guarantee, I would just order a new Remington 700 40x from the custom shop or a off the shelf 5R 700 and send it to McMillan to be restocked. And get a better shooter and save a few thousand.

But I do get if you all were friends.