River's Edge Restaurant in Benedict up in flames

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Well that sucks. It had a beautiful view of the river from the main dining hall. I'll miss it.

mitzi

Back in the 80s, another place burnt down there, I think it was called Benedict Pier.

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
I remember when it was called Shorter`s back in the 90'S my dad ran his charter boat out of there.

mitzi

I wonder if the person that dropped the butt knows what they did? If it was a customer they may have been long gone before the fire was apparent.

In all fairness to smokers, people stick trash in those smoking stations. I don't know how many times I've seen candy wrappers, receipts, etc. stuck in them.

officeguy

I wonder whether they could rebuild if they wanted to. With all the shoreline regulations, even on a replacement structure, the cost to replace something like that would be astronomical. I bet the owners are just going to take the check and not rebuild.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Heard all the siren commotion yesterday afternoon while at Yoga. Harshes the Zen a little bit. :lol: Anyhoo, Thing 2 sent me several pictures from different vantage points while he was on the scene. (PFVFD) He said it looked like the whole thing was a goner. :ohwell:

Such a shame-sure hope they rebuild. It's an awesome location, and reasonably priced great food. We had several forum M&Gs there, and had also been to dinner there a couple other times.

Bann

PREMO Member
No, ####. As if we don’t all feel sad. My FIL lives in Benedict; right next to the restaurant. You can see his driveway in one of the pics. We ate there many times. We called him today to be sure he was ok. He said the wind was blowing across the river, so he wasn’t affected. He is 85 years old, and we were worried about him. We hated leaving him, but moved for grandtots. And, for the record, Montgomery Cty sucks.

:rolleyes:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Such a shame-sure hope they rebuild.

I predict that will never happen. The building codes that would be in play require a new structure that would be so wildly expensive compared to what burnt that is makes such a recovery almost always economically infeasible. T'S Cove is a good example...Bailey ended up simply tearing the old structure down and leaving a vacant lot.

The St. George's Island Ruddy Duck building is another good example but of the consequences of going ahead and building; it was built to meet all current Critical Area and commercial codes. And it belongs to the bank now because the cost to build it was wildly in excess of any reasonable expectation of a return operating as a restaurant/bar operation.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
My one and only show up at a meet and greet was at that place about five years ago. Met a number of the posters that are still around today. My daughter and I had a nice time there.

Bann

PREMO Member
My one and only show up at a meet and greet was at that place about five years ago. Met a number of the posters that are still around today. My daughter and I had a nice time there.

I remember!! Was that the night all our cell phones went off with severe weather alerts?

officeguy

I predict that will never happen. The building codes that would be in play require a new structure that would be so wildly expensive compared to what burnt that is makes such a recovery almost always economically infeasible.

I am afraid you are right. Not sure what is up with that part of the river but there seems to be very little boating. Their Marina piers have been near vacant for the past 10 years.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I remember!! Was that the night all our cell phones went off with severe weather alerts?

Think so. Just after daughter and I left for Annapolis, we hit a real thunder storm. Reminded me of Fl where we live. It was nice meeting some of you guys.