Road foods

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Here are a few of the popular/regional foods we have encountered along the road. I'm sure I've forgotten a few items. Vrai could do this with her coffee selections. She often remarks how 1 coffee or another is the best she's ever tasted. Almost all of them are flavored coffees.

St. Mary's county - Stuffed ham
Charleston, WV - Pepperoni roll
Louisville, KY - Hot Brown
Nashville, TN - Prince's Hot Chicken
Vicksburg, MS - Tamales (No joke)
Lincoln, NE - Runza
Des Moines, IA - Loose meat sandwich
Rapid City, SD - Chislic
Cody, WY - Elk medallions, Cowtown crunch
Scranton, PA - Old Forge pizza
Belleville, NJ - Stretch's Chicken Savoy
Myrtle Beach, SC - Calabash style seafood
Mt Pleasant, SC - Deep fried asparagus
Panama City Beach, FL - Sharkey's margaritas, Smoked brisket tacos, Smoked jalapeno salsa
Sunnyside, FL - Cronut
Mystic, CT - Mystic pizza
New London, CT - Fried clams
Newport, RI - Lobster pizza, lobster nuggets
Fall River, MA - Portuguese cod
Boston, MA - Moxie
Wells Beach, ME - Seafood chowder
Bar Harbor, ME - Blueberry beer
York, ME - Whoopie pie stout
Montreal, QE, CA - Smoked meat
Burlington, VT - Apple cider, hard cider
Seaside Heights, NJ - Sausage & pepper sandwich
St Augustine Beach, FL - Mayorcan chowder
Miami, FL - Cubano sandwich
Marathon, FL - Stone crab claws, Lobster Reuben
Naples, FL - Carnitas
Cedar Key, FL - Clams, chowder
Baton Rouge, LA - Boudin, Chargrilled oysters
Lockhart, TX - Smoked beef rib
Wheeling, WV - Blue suede shoes burger
Indianapolis, IN - Pork tenderloin sandwich
Las Cruces, NM - Green chiles

Clem72

I hate it when I don't quite make it to the restroom in time and the Hot Brown Chislic Runza down to my Lobster Nuggets.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
East Texas - Buc-ee's the holy grail of convenience stores
Texas - Kolachees
Clifton, NJ - Ripper hot dog

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Had stuffed ham yesterday. Oh yum, oh yum, oh yum......

I don't think stuffed ham gets the national love it deserves. Everyone in American knows the Philly cheesesteak and NY style pizza, but very few people outside of SoMD know about stuffed ham. People should know about runzas, too. And Utah's green Jello.

Okay, not that last one.

Myrtle Beach hidden Treasure.... Little Italy just off the beaten path from the crazy strip of chain restaurants and tourist traps... 3001 N Kings St. In a small strip. It is owned and chefed by Luigi, born and raised Italy. This is his retirement place... small, but big enough for him to continue the cooking and baking he loves. Sauces, oils and even the house Italian dressing are full bodied flavor and robust.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Myrtle Beach hidden Treasure.... Little Italy just off the beaten path from the crazy strip of chain restaurants and tourist traps... 3001 N Kings St. In a small strip. It is owned and chefed by Luigi, born and raised Italy. This is his retirement place... small, but big enough for him to continue the cooking and baking he loves. Sauces, oils and even the house Italian dressing are full bodied flavor and robust.

That sounds great!

Our Myrtle Beach happy place is Jerusalem on Kings. Israeli noms and the first time I ever had shakshuka.

WingsOfGold

You're killing me with this thread. at 1230 tomorrow I have a date with the Silver Stallion, I haven't eaten since yesterday with the exception of orange popsickles, duralax, Gateraid and some other shlt to make me shlt. She WILL stop and get me milkshake and Chickfila on the way home for me to grill my bison burgers!
PS I hope they don't knock me out this time so I can get the full effect! :eek:

That all being said up here in York County Pa it is the "junk food capitol of the world" IMO, no tiny town of at least 50 isn't worth it;s salt without at least 2 pizza or sub joints. Allen's Eatery in Lewisberry, Pa gets the nod for pizza and subs here IMO.