Rob Smith: I’m gay and support Mike Pence – don’t believe Pete Buttigieg’s claim that Pence is anti-gay

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But while I hope no one opposes Mayor Pete’s White House bid just because he is gay, I’m not ready to support him just because we share that one demographic characteristic.

And I think it’s unfortunate that Buttigieg has tried to portray Vice President Pence as anti-gay. Based on my own research, the work of the Log Cabin Republicans (an LGBT group) and my own experience recently meeting Pence, I know he is absolutely not anti-gay. That false accusation needs to be rejected once and for all.

[clip]

So I decided to get to the root of where this all came from, and was furious when I learned that it was based on a lie and a smear. I stumbled onto a Fox News op-ed written by former Log Cabin Republican Executive Director Gregory Angelo that delved into the origins of the smear.

Angelo found that Pence never advocated trying to change anyone’s sexual orientation. Instead, the governor supported reauthorizing funding to combat the spread of HIV/AIDS only if resources were “directed toward those institutions which provide assistance to those seeking to change their sexual behavior.”

Angelo, who is gay, wrote: “Changing one’s ‘sexual behavior’ is far different than changing one’s ‘sexual orientation.’ In fact, at the time of Pence’s proclamation, LGBT advocates were working to promote safer sexual behaviors themselves with condom distribution programs and public education campaigns about HIV transmission.”

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/rob...-pete-buttigiegs-claim-that-pence-is-anti-gay