Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
Before we can choose, we need to know what constitutes being in any Hall Of Fame.

IMO, one hit wonders don't get in, gold/platinum records show popularity but not necessarily Hall worthiness. Same for longevity in the music industry - not necessarily worthy of Hall entry. Also, it isn't the "All Genres of Music Hall of Fame", it's the "Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame". So I think genres outside of rock should be excluded (JMO). :shrug:

What do you think?
What achievements must a band/artist make to even be considered as a nominee into the Rock and Roll Hall?

C

czygvtwkr

I would say Nirvana also, their sudden popularity helped change music for a decade (then sadly American Idol destroyed it).

molly_21

Nirvana, LL Cool J, KISS, NWA Among Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame Nominees | Variety

Here’s the complete list unveiled Wednesday:

•The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
•Chic
•Deep Purple
Peter Gabriel
Hall and Oates
•KISS
•LL Cool J
•The Meters
Nirvana
•N.W.A.
•The Replacements
•Linda Ronstadt
Cat Stevens
•Link Wray
Yes
•The Zombies

I have not heard of Link Wray (unless I have heard his stuff and not known it). The rest that are not bolded either suck or they have some good songs, but are meh to me on everything else. But of course just because I like Peter Gabriel, is someone else's sucky music.

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
I have not heard of Link Wray (unless I have heard his stuff and not known it). The rest that are not bolded either suck or they have some good songs, but are meh to me on everything else. But of course just because I like Peter Gabriel, is someone else's sucky music.

This is your opinion of what you like and don't like. And that's fine.
However, it's not entry into "molly_21's Rock and Roll HOF", it's entry into "THE Rock and Roll HOF".

That's why in my earlier post I was asking what thoughts people have on how to judge the nominated artists/bands. Is there any way to take out the personal opinion of their music and rate them on some other basis?

mitzi

He was a local Maryland guy (Accokeek), gained popularity in the 50s. You'll hear some of his music in movies but I don't think he had a hit since the 50s but he had a big following. He died a few years back.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
The only one worth a crap on that list is Peter Gabriel.

The others don't deserve to be in the RRHOF.

That the RRHOF is a joke makes the pick list pretty meaningless, though.

C

czygvtwkr

Molly, the thing is N.W.A is not rock and roll, nor is Run DMC.

molly_21

Very true. They either need to change the name to music hall of fame or give rap and soul their own hall. Blues to me sorta goes with RnR, as without Muddy Waters or Robert Johnson, there would be no Eric Clapton or Janis Joplin.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Link Wray: you will recognize this song.

Wray invented the power chord, which became the signature sound for punk and hard rock. That is almost certainly why he was included, but I don't think he necessarily deserves a nomination.

The one that bowls me over is....Chic. They had a few cheesy disco hits in the 70s and that's it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Before we can choose, we need to know what constitutes being in any Hall Of Fame.

IMO, one hit wonders don't get in, gold/platinum records show popularity but not necessarily Hall worthiness. Same for longevity in the music industry - not necessarily worthy of Hall entry. Also, it isn't the "All Genres of Music Hall of Fame", it's the "Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame". So I think genres outside of rock should be excluded (JMO). :shrug:

What do you think?
What achievements must a band/artist make to even be considered as a nominee into the Rock and Roll Hall?

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is to music what the Nobel Peace prize is to...peace. And they use about the same criteria; who is favored?

Conferring any more legitimacy than that, on either, is to presume they are something they, simply, are not.

:buddies: