Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

molly_21

Before we can choose, we need to know what constitutes being in any Hall Of Fame.

IMO, one hit wonders don't get in, gold/platinum records show popularity but not necessarily Hall worthiness. Same for longevity in the music industry - not necessarily worthy of Hall entry. Also, it isn't the "All Genres of Music Hall of Fame", it's the "Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame". So I think genres outside of rock should be excluded (JMO). :shrug:

What do you think?
What achievements must a band/artist make to even be considered as a nominee into the Rock and Roll Hall?

Rush, Jimi Hendrix, and Janis Joplin were technically a "One Hit Wonder's" ;-) Sorry had to throw that in.

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

Rush, Jimi Hendrix, and Janis Joplin were technically a "One Hit Wonder's" ;-) Sorry had to throw that in.

Hendrix was ground breaking, one could even say he changed music forever.

One hit wonders, people only have ever heard one song from that band.

Most people can recognize Purple Haze, Hey Joe, Along the Watch Tower, and Foxy Lady. Some of those songs were covers that widely eclipsed the original artist. Hendrix also popularized new recording methods and the use of the wa-wa pedal.

Not quite sure how you can call Rush a one hit wonder either because they are still around making music. They also have one of the most proficient drummers to ever live.

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
So for many of the sports Halls, players will not get in if they used PEDs (think Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, A-ROiD, etc.)

Can you imagine what the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would look like if drug users were excluded? :killingme

molly_21

Hendrix was ground breaking, one could even say he changed music forever.

One hit wonders, people only have ever heard one song from that band.

Most people can recognize Purple Haze, Hey Joe, Along the Watch Tower, and Foxy Lady. Some of those songs were covers that widely eclipsed the original artist. Hendrix also popularized new recording methods and the use of the wa-wa pedal.

Not quite sure how you can call Rush a one hit wonder either because they are still around making music. They also have one of the most proficient drummers to ever live.

I was trying to be funny, but make a point too if you reread my posting. One of the other posters noted:
"IMO, one hit wonders don't get in, gold/platinum records show popularity but not necessarily Hall worthiness."

Rush really did have only one "hit" meaning making it into the top 40, same goes for Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. Like the other poster mentioned, real "One Hit Wonders" really don't make it in the RnR HOF, like The Archies (unless you count them as a novelty hit). Same goes for the gold record statement.

Deep Purple might have had gold records, but that does not mean they were any good. A fan of course is going to think they deserve to get in and I get that. But in reality, is Deep Purple really deserving to get in? Probably not. They are just a standard generic sounding rock band from the 70's that got overplayed like Boston and Foreigner. But again, that is my option and I get why people might want to disagree.

I like Yes, and I think they have alot of redeeming qualities. But are they in the same league as other progressive rock bands like Rush or Dream Theater, maybe/maybe not. But I really don't think compared to other bands on the list they will get it. But who knows.

Hank

my war
He was a local Maryland guy (Accokeek), gained popularity in the 50s. You'll hear some of his music in movies but I don't think he had a hit since the 50s but he had a big following. He died a few years back.

You are thinking of Danny Gatton. I don't think Link Ray was from around here.