Roger Clemens Named in Steroid Report

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Report: Clemens' name in steroids report

NEW YORK (AP) - Seven-time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens and Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte were the first names to emerge Thursday from the Mitchell report.

ESPN.com reported Brian McNamee, a former trainer for the Yankees and Clemens, told investigators he supplied Clemens and Pettitte with steroids and that information is in the report. The Web site cited an unidentified source close to the trainer.

Otter

Nothing to see here

NEW YORK (AP) - Seven-time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens and Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte were the first names to emerge Thursday from the Mitchell report.

ESPN.com reported Brian McNamee, a former trainer for the Yankees and Clemens, told investigators he supplied Clemens and Pettitte with steroids and that information is in the report. The Web site cited an unidentified source close to the trainer.

:yeahthat: and Jody Foster is mentioned,too.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Actually, they have not been named yet, as the announcement hasn't happened (conference at 2). That report is from their former "strength conditioning guy" who told someone at ESPN the magazine..

So no, they haven't been "named" yet :smack:

:neener:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I read this story earlier. It's really sad but hardly surprising and I fear this is just the tip of the iceberg. Steroid use in baseball has been rampant for many years and a lot of players are going to be outed.

I see mention of a few O's players already, past and present. Former Oriole David Segui was named and current player Jay Gibbons has already been suspended for the first 15 games of the 2008 season. :ohwell:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
How timely...

I read this story earlier. It's really sad but hardly surprising and I fear this is just the tip of the iceberg. Steroid use in baseball has been rampant for many years and a lot of players are going to be outed.

I see mention of a few O's players already, past and present. Former Oriole David Segui was named and current player Jay Gibbons has already been suspended for the first 15 games of the 2008 season. :ohwell:

..that you would happen along just now. :buddies:

So, as a real baseball fan and not a fake or indifferent like me, if this thing blows up big and basically says most everybody did it, will it put you off as a major attack on the games integrity or perhaps you may take it a bit more philosophically, and still be a solid fan?

Thoughts?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
So, as a real baseball fan and not a fake or indifferent like me, if this thing blows up big and basically says most everybody did it, will it put you off as a major attack on the games integrity or perhaps you may take it a bit more philosophically, and still be a solid fan?

Thoughts?

I have been and always will be a fan - that will never change. I am disappointed but hardly surprised given that baseball itself has pretty much turned a blind eye towards steroid use in the sport until recently. Unfortunately, all sports have become less and less about the game and more about being a money-making business - at all costs.

Let me ask you this, Larry? Was your loyalty to football rocked when the major player scandals erupted about them? And why is it when steriod abuse is discovered in football, it barely elicits a yawn but now the nation is going crazy about its use in baseball. Case in point:

ESPN.com: Page 2 : Football's silent cheaters

Consider some of the stuff they uncovered: Three of the Panthers' starting offensive linemen from the 2004 Super Bowl team had what amounts to perpetual prescriptions for steroids. According to the Observer, less than a week before the team left Charlotte for the Super Bowl, two of them -- starting tackle Todd Steussie and practice-squad lineman Louis Williams -- were given prescriptions for five different banned substances.

This is wild -- guys are presumably shooting up in the week leading up to the Super Bowl, yet the NFL still gets away with saying it has the most comprehensive, foolproof testing system in sports.

It seems the outrage is reserved solely for baseball. When they pull this kind of news out of a football locker room it barely elicits a shrug. Why is that? Is it because there are no records in danger of being broken by an offensive lineman?

Or is it because we expect it from football players, and our lack of response is merely a reflection of our lack of surprise?

And this is hardly an attack against football by me. I'm just trying to understand what makes it acceptable in one sport and not another. I found it interesting the NFL Union is going to extraordinary lengths to protect its players even when there may be very strong evidence that steriod use has been occurring and will only "discipline for a positive test":

NFL union won't support steroid "witch hunt" - NFL - MSNBC.com

NFL players union executive director Gene Upshaw said he would not support suspensions for any players named in steroid probes unless they test positive, the Charlotte Observer reported Sunday.

"We are not going to get into a witch hunt," Upshaw said in an e-mail, the newspaper reported.

Upshaw was responding to a statement from World Anti-Doping Agency director Dick Pound, who said the NFL should punish any players linked to steroids if the evidence is reliable, even without positive drug tests, the newspaper reported.

"We will not let WADA determine how we operate our program," Upshaw said in an e-mail, the newspaper reported. "We discipline only for a positive test."

WADA and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency both support using "non-analytical postives" in rooting out steroid users. In other words, players can be suspended even without a positive drug test if there is enough other supporting evidence.

Pound challenged Upshaw's stance in an e-mail to the Observer.

"If he wanted his sport and the NFL to be drug-free, he would not say that," Pound said in an e-mail, the newspaper reported. "It's an either-or situation: Either he wants drug-free football or he does not."

Shouldn't standards be just that? Standard across the board regardless of the sport?

Last edited:

Kittykat33

Why me??

I still can't believe that Brian Roberts was on that list:nono:

danny3527

You notice a lot of the players on the list were/are injury prone players(b/c of steriod use) . Look at jay gibbons he gets a hang nail and he's out 3 weeks.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Jazz...

Let me ask you this, Larry? Was your loyalty to football rocked when the major player scandals erupted about them? And why is it when steriod abuse is discovered in football, it barely elicits a yawn but now the nation is going crazy about its use in baseball. Case in point:

I've been letting this one ferment for a few days. Short answer, I gave up on football, being really passionate about it, when free agency really got rolling and I had to learn the names of 1/3 of the team every year and deal with all sorts of guys from teams, especially, ex Cowboys, coming here. Now, it's just entertainment, no longer a real passion.

So, yeah, my loyalty changed, but not so much over something like steroids. I just assumed everyone was using something, be it baseball or football, from the era of the Hogs when Jeff Bostic put on 25 pounds one off season, to baseball when Brady Anderson belted 50 and looked like a pro wrestler.

My issue with baseball today is that an awful lot of people, writers, fans, owners, owe Barry Bonds a huge apology. They've all been calling him a whore and now we know they've all been yelling at Barry as they stand on the corner of Hollywood and Vine, so to speak. It seems intensely unfair he has been singled out so aggressively and for so long and allowed to take soooo much heat for everyone else.

In any event, a further part of the conversation delves into the players from this stand point; baseball takes more skill and the players have longer careers and their salaries are guaranteed. Football takes less skill for most positions, they have shorter careers and their union sucks compared to baseball never getting these guys guaranteed money.

So, what does this all mean? The bigger picture is that, I think, it's all gonna blow over pretty quick when you have so many people using. I think we're gonna start to hear from experts that things like hgh are harmless, especially in context of the horror stories of the Lyle Alzado type image most people get when they hear the word 'steroids'.

Baseball doesn't seem to have the psycho off field behavior of football, the shooting and associations with crime. I wonder if that is the nature of the beast or the type athlete or a deeper issue as to types of steroids?

I have no problem, really, with pro athletes seeking ways to stay healthy longer, recover from injuries and so forth, especially in baseball. As for football, I think there needs to be rule changes that de-emphasize size so much. I'd rather see 275 pound linemen, better athletes, running and moving and stamina counting rather than these 330 monsters whose defining characteristic is that they can stand in the way due to shear bulk and muscle.

I'd like to see football players get guaranteed contracts as well to reduce some of the meat market aspects that baseball doesn't really seem to suffer.

In summary, I understand baseball owners turning a blind eye to steroids. They're paying these guys $10 mil a year; they want them on the field. I understand players 'using' to get those $10 mil contracts. I think I hold the media, sportswriters, in higher contempt as they are the ones who said the truth is less important than access that they gain and keep for not exposing the truth. Media, the press are supposed to be the defenders of the truth.
As for fans, I'm not sure if they hold any responsibility or not. After all, they get to see a guy like Bonds and Clements play for 20 plus years. How bad can it be, really? No baseball players are dropping dead.

Football fans, maybe we are guilty of too much of a gladiator thing where we are the ones not objecting enough to the abuse football players suffer.

Hmmm...

BlackSheep

Sorry Larry

I have to disagree with you, you are joking with this remark:

Quote: After all, they get to see a guy like Bonds and Clements play for 20 plus years. How bad can it be, really? No baseball players are dropping dead.