Roommates

lilbluestar

I've been living in my own apartment for a year and I'm just starting to consider getting a roommate. On one side, I'm excited and think it could be fun and on the other I'm freaked out wondering what I could be getting myself into :p

Do any of you ladies have any advice on finding a good roommate? What to look out for? Or if I should just completely avoid it lol?

I see there are classifieds you can post to find a roommate, but are there any other local sites for young professionals?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I've been living in my own apartment for a year and I'm just starting to consider getting a roommate. On one side, I'm excited and think it could be fun and on the other I'm freaked out wondering what I could be getting myself into :p

Do any of you ladies have any advice on finding a good roommate? What to look out for? Or if I should just completely avoid it lol?

I see there are classifieds you can post to find a roommate, but are there any other local sites for young professionals?

The first step is really to determine if you'd be a good roommate yourself. I had both girl and guy roommates and then I realized that I am way too anal to be a good roommate. I'm plenty pleasant and was a lot of fun to hang out with in my late teens - early twenties, but not so much to live with.

muttdog

PM Kelb

Littlebit

Forget about it, if you can afford to live by yourself go for it. Too many crazies out there. Plus think about if they decide to leave and not tell you and you end up getting stuck with all of that persons bill sharings. My son had one many years ago and ended up with stolen checks cashed, lots of personnal items taken, took him a long time to recover from the trauma. SO, again, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

dn0121

PM Beta

kelb

art imitating life

:lol:

I ♥ you!! thank you!

I'm looking for a roommate as well. I'm really picky and scared to let anyone live in my house. If you look at the ads I have posted it says "will do a full background and credit check" I think that scares people away.. but GOOD I dont want people who cant pay their bills or have a criminal past living with me anyways.

Where is your apartment? Wanna share 1/2 my house? :lol:

lilbluestar

The first step is really to determine if you'd be a good roommate yourself. I had both girl and guy roommates and then I realized that I am way too anal to be a good roommate. I'm plenty pleasant and was a lot of fun to hang out with in my late teens - early twenties, but not so much to live with.

That is really good advice. I was doubting myself and that's why I've put it off so long but I'm a pretty passive person and as long as the person isn't a complete slob I don't get irritated that easily.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've had two female roommates in my life and they were my best friends. The first one, who I barely knew when I moved in with her, was Maid of Honor at my wedding. The second one was a co-worker and we're still good friends 15 years later - she left me for her now-husband :mad:

dn0121

She`d have to relocate, much farther than from somd. I`m very picky myself. It is a kind thought. If she`s not a wacko & str8, no prob. now don`t go insinuating anything. of course u`ll find sumthin 2 bash me about. U don`t even know me. :p
:smoochy:

Black-Francis

She`d have to relocate, much farther than from somd. I`m very picky myself. It is a kind thought. If she`s not a wacko & str8, no prob. now don`t go insinuating anything. of course u`ll find sumthin 2 bash me about. U don`t even know me. :p

There is no dungeon or pit to keep your victims in.....:yay: ......move along...

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I've had two female roommates in my life and they were my best friends. The first one, who I barely knew when I moved in with her, was Maid of Honor at my wedding. The second one was a co-worker and we're still good friends 15 years later - she left me for her now-husband :mad:

My experience was the opposite with my first roommate. We were friends and co-workers. She was a SLOB. We lived together just shy of a year. She became engaged. I often wondered if her fiance knew what he was getting in to. The house when we lived together was clean, none of which was thanks to her.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
That is really good advice. I was doubting myself and that's why I've put it off so long but I'm a pretty passive person and as long as the person isn't a complete slob I don't get irritated that easily.

You should have a much easier time then. I didn't realize how bad I was until I was always cleaning up after someone else. I won't cook in a dirty kitchen so before I could even think about making myself some mac n cheese or ramen I'd feel compelled to clean the whole kitchen, down to scrubbing out the sink with comet. I developed a good bit of resentment as a result.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
yea dont do it there are way to0 many nut jobs out there. you wouldnt want omone like me moving in. LOL.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones

I didn't get stressed by it, just knew I didn't want to live with someone like that nor did I care to continue a friendship with someone that could give two craps less about the effort I put forth to maintain a nice house that we shared.

On the contrary my next roommates were two guys. I'm quite certain that one of them probably never wanted to live with another girl again. I moved to the bedroom in the basement for privacy. I got up at 5:00 for work, he owned a night club and didn't get home until like 2:00. He told me if I ever needed anything no matter what time of day/night that he'd be happy to help. A couple 5:00 wake-up calls to kill spiders was probably more than enough to give him second thoughts about living with a 19 year old girl. :killingme