Rufus

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
seems as though they are a fickle bunch :lol: We must handle them with care. And don't under any circumstances feed them any GOSSIP (iced tea is good). :lmao:

SOMDRocks, PM me....we can talk about scheduling a day each month for your farm. We :huggy: U :biggrin:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I agree that a farrier shouldn't loose his temper with any horse.

Having said that, and having a husband that is doing horse's feet (on a very limited bases) I will tell you IT'S NOT THE FARRIER'S JOB TO TRAIN YOUR HORSE.

My hubby has WAY too many nasty bruises, scrapes, pulled muscles, stomped on feet, etc. for me to be quiet on this subject. last week an especially nasty long yearling who can't even be fly sprayed reared up and two foot slammed him in the chest for his troubles and hubby knows horses believe me. He also knows how to keep himself positioned safely and this little bugger spun around so quick i was shocked. He also took an hour and a half doing ground work on another 6 y/o gelding before he could lift a rear foot on it. It's the owners job to ensure the animal is safe for general care and those care providers.

Before hubby started doing our horse's feet, if Tim came and the horse misbehaved even a little hubs would do some ground stuff, and if it didn't work, he'd say nope, do him next time I want to keep you coming back to do my horses (and keep you safe), we'll make it so you can do the horse next time.

My husband really likes doing feet. He also likes training. The mere 30-35 bucks he charges per horse is no where near worth the amount of emotional and physical toll not to mention actual physical danger he puts himself into each time he goes to do someone's horse who has never had their feet picked up, or who is so disrectful of people that it cow kicks him for trying to do what needs to be done.

Don't complain people, TRAIN your horse for the farrier. It's not his job to do it. If he does PAY him or someone else for the training necessary for the necessities of horse care and husbandry. this would include holding your horse's head so he doesn't BITE the farrier, and it's tail so the farrier doesn't get a sliced eye by a swinging tail swishing flies "because poor lil Alpo won't let me fly spray him...sorry". YES we've heard that one too....sigh.

And NO your horse doesn't "have a problem with that foot, because he won't let anyone touch that one foot". He has a problem in his head. Get it worked out peeps. Don't expect someone else too do it for free, just so they can do their job for 30 bucks.

:yeahthat::popcorn:

mingiz

Horse Poor
I have used Pat since I fired the other farrier I had. I have NOTHING bad to say about Pat. He treats my horses good and never says anything bad about anything or anyone....I have a newbie that is a 3yro and he jerked away from Pat the first time he did him. I told him that I will work on that problem. He has always been on time or early..Plus he fixed the damage the other farrier made. KUDOS to Pat!!!! When my Fat Pony Shiloh fell down on him he never said anything but told Shiloh to wake up. It was kind of funny. He gets along with my horses and the most important part me. It's not an easy job that they do. I used to trim my own back in the day but can't now. I respect my farrier as long as he respects my horses. Thier time is as valueable as ours. I always make sure I'm ready for him and that my horses are cleaned up. I hate cleaning up a muddy dirty foot, so why should he, the easier I make it for my farrier the better service I get. Most of all the farrier appreciates his customers for the small things they do that make thier job easier. :popcorn:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I have used Pat since I fired the other farrier I had. I have NOTHING bad to say about Pat. He treats my horses good and never says anything bad about anything or anyone....I have a newbie that is a 3yro and he jerked away from Pat the first time he did him. I told him that I will work on that problem. He has always been on time or early..Plus he fixed the damage the other farrier made. KUDOS to Pat!!!! When my Fat Pony Shiloh fell down on him he never said anything but told Shiloh to wake up. It was kind of funny. He gets along with my horses and the most important part me. It's not an easy job that they do. I used to trim my own back in the day but can't now. I respect my farrier as long as he respects my horses. Thier time is as valueable as ours. I always make sure I'm ready for him and that my horses are cleaned up. I hate cleaning up a muddy dirty foot, so why should he, the easier I make it for my farrier the better service I get. Most of all the farrier appreciates his customers for the small things they do that make thier job easier. :popcorn:
:yay:
Will you adopt me? my feet need cleaning and my toenails need trimming. :rolleyes: I'll be good i pwomise :angel:

Chickadee1

It really seems hard to choose a farrier in this area. Some like certain ones and others don't. do these people have to go to farriers school? Is a person with more school better then another one? and where would I go to check on there work history?

I

ilovemyappy

I used Tina once and I liked her. She is really nice and very patient with the horses. I recommend her and she does not cost a lot too.

Martinigirl

I use Pat too. The man is awesome. Saved my horse from permanent injury. Vet never had to come out. Vet said leave it to Pat. He really treats his practice like a business. I never have to hunt him down. He is usually calling ahead of time hunting me down. I think his prices are great too.

SugarNSpikes

We use Dennis Atkinson at my barn but I'm not sure if he takes any new clients. He's been around for a long time and even did my grandma's horses 20 years ago, and she highly recommends him. His only thing is that he doesn't put up with a lot of nonsense and isn't scared to smack a horse if they get out of line.

But for the past year, he's done a marvelous job with my horse.

Robin

Tim Hamilton does an outstanding job. He focuses on a natural trim for barefoot horses taking many things into consideration in balancing a horse's hoof. He looks at the pastern angle to get the angle of the hoof. He looks at the medial/lateral balance of the hoof and at the same time the semtry of the hoof to know where to trim and balance. He also looks at the toe lengh to help balance the foot at the end. His number is 301-904-0383.

horse hoof 101

Robin

Pat has lost him temper with our really quiet quarter horse after he quicked him. not only did we have to make a hospital trip because when the horse was quicked he hurt the handler, but pat didn't pull the shoe back off or put enough nails back into the shoe to keep it on, so the horse pulled it and stepped back on it, lodging the toe clip between the white line and the sensitive laminae.

it has taken me 2 years to get the horse calm about doing trims.

I have to admit I was warned prior about Pat's temper.

is angus still doing horses in Charles county? i know you could trailer there, I think that who Stueart Pittman uses. he has done shoes forever but is older now and will only do really well behaved horses that you take to him.

I used Dave Kosack for my horse when he had 4 shoes, he was expensive and kept charging me for when my horse was losing shoes within a week of him being there, but he is pretty good.

we use Elam's son, Raymond.. he is reasonable .. my horse who is has had really bad feet keeps all 4 shoes on longer than six weeks (i used to have to do every 5). Walter was great at shoeing, but in my opinion Raymond is better with the horses because he takes a greater interest in training them.

I too, have had a horse quicked, it does take time if it is a bad one for them to recover. The hoof wall was thin, and she was a 00 shoe size. typical halter horse build. She reared and came down blood trickling out of the nail hole. We could not even get near her to pull the shoe back off. She was in a fearce protective mode. This stuff happens, they can not see where things are inside the hoof wall. Its a judgement call with every nail that is put in. I don't blame the farrier for what happened, it was an accident.

As far as Pat, I was using Angus, when Pat was apprenticing with him. I have come to know him and his wife over the years, and when he started out was taking horses that some of the other farriers would not touch because owners/ horses had their own issues and were tossed to the side from them.
Like all the new farriers, they build their clientel know who to keep and who to toss. I would not want their job. I give them credit for wanting to be under horses day in and out 5-7 days a week. Pat is one of the most caring farriers out there and has learned to pick his clients for quality verses quanity of how many he can do.

All farriers, get burnt out, and need a break. If you don't like their work, move on and chose another. Some of us have been very fortunate and have found someone we are comfortable with working with our horses. There is good and bad with them all. They come and go.

Hopefully you have found one that suits your needs.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I too, have had a horse quicked, it does take time if it is a bad one for them to recover. The hoof wall was thin, and she was a 00 shoe size. typical halter horse build. She reared and came down blood trickling out of the nail hole. We could not even get near her to pull the shoe back off. She was in a fearce protective mode. This stuff happens, they can not see where things are inside the hoof wall. Its a judgement call with every nail that is put in. I don't blame the farrier for what happened, it was an accident.

As far as Pat, I was using Angus, when Pat was apprenticing with him. I have come to know him and his wife over the years, and when he started out was taking horses that some of the other farriers would not touch because owners/ horses had their own issues and were tossed to the side from them.
Like all the new farriers, they build their clientel know who to keep and who to toss. I would not want their job. I give them credit for wanting to be under horses day in and out 5-7 days a week. Pat is one of the most caring farriers out there and has learned to pick his clients for quality verses quanity of how many he can do.

All farriers, get burnt out, and need a break. If you don't like their work, move on and chose another. Some of us have been very fortunate and have found someone we are comfortable with working with our horses. There is good and bad with them all. They come and go.

Hopefully you have found one that suits your needs.

Very well said :drummer:. Don't judge them untill you wear thier apron :killingme