Sad day at horselady's barn

GallopNTec

I'm really sorry. They are awesome people, took care of my boy like he was their own when I boarded him at their place.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Okay, trying to reply to this nice thread without getting too weepy! Thank you for all the kind thoughts! It was Hubby's new replacement horse for Bubba who is now 23. Diego was a 10 yr old spanish mustang who had been bred in N. Dakota and worked cows on a ranch out there. Had many long talks to get more info about him with his breeder and he truly was special. He was a big, beautiful buckskin who had that something "extra" about him. Extremely smart and loved people. I'm kicking myself for being a fool and not taking any photos of him yet - who thinks their new horse is going to pass away?

He was fine Wednesday evening and dinner time but colicked overnight and by the time we found him Thurs morning he was too far gone. Vet came and hypothermia had started - he tubed him with mineral oil and medicated him but nothing passed. He had either ruptured or twisted irreversebly Wed night. Checked him late Thurs to give him more Banamine and he was still laying quietly but he would get up and change sides and lay back down. All day he never passed manure or peed. Friday went out early and he had gone overnight. At least he was warm and with company, no signs of thrashing or distress.

We only had him for a few months but he touched all of us. There will never be another Diego. We may get a few spanish mustang babies and take on their training to see how they do but they have awfully big hooves to fill. Rest in Peace Starbucks Diego!

:huggy: At least he went peacefully. I had a mare that was fine at night time feeding and had colicked overnight - same as your boy. We had her stalled and she had destroyed the stall during the night, by the time I went out the next morning (6:30 AM) and found her she was too far gone. The vet showed up at the time she went down for the last time. To this day I still feel guilty that I didn't get to her sooner.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
No matter how or what happens you always wonder "what if?"! Most of the time it is out of your hands and in Someone Elses. G'night guys!

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
HorseLady said:
No matter how or what happens you always wonder "what if?"! Most of the time it is out of your hands and in Someone Elses. G'night guys!

I feel for you. No matter how long you have a horse, it is always tough to deal with the loss. I lost several in the last few years, and I can tell you this....dont beat yourself up with the what-ifs...especially with colic. I just read an article on the Nakota horses...they sound like a fantastic breed! You have my deepest sypathy over your loss.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
TWHFAN1 said:
Hi guys. Horselady's hubbies horse passed on last night. Colic they think. Very sad, please say prayers for them and for the Diego to be blessed in the grassy horse heaven above! :0(

So sorry to hear. RIP Diego. :flowers: