Saddle help, please!

Duckz

I'm having trouble finding a saddle that fits both my horse (17 hand TB/Percheron) and myself. He's got high withers for a draft cross, and a prominent shoulder. So far the best fitting saddle we've had on him is an old Collegiate with a narrowish-medium width tree paired with a withers relief pad. The problem is that I'm tall and the flaps are way too short for me. I can get by in it for now, but I'd obviously like to find something that fits me, too!

So far, we've tried an HDR close contact and a Dover Circuit Eq, both with medium trees. I think both are too wide since they sit low at the withers and there is a gap between the side of the withers and the tree. When I rode in them, the pads slipped back under the saddle after a couple minutes of trotting and cantering. I guess that means the saddle is moving around? Some people at the barn have also tried their saddles on him, but no luck. Honestly, I don't even remember all the saddles we've put on his back. Elam at Loveville Leather tried some saddles on him and the best we could find was a Stubben with a size 31 tree, but even then it would have to break in and probably be re-stuffed to get a decent fit.

Any suggestions? This is frustrating! :jameo:

fredsaid2

I'm having trouble finding a saddle that fits both my horse (17 hand TB/Percheron) and myself. He's got high withers for a draft cross, and a prominent shoulder. So far the best fitting saddle we've had on him is an old Collegiate with a narrowish-medium width tree paired with a withers relief pad. The problem is that I'm tall and the flaps are way too short for me. I can get by in it for now, but I'd obviously like to find something that fits me, too!

So far, we've tried an HDR close contact and a Dover Circuit Eq, both with medium trees. I think both are too wide since they sit low at the withers and there is a gap between the side of the withers and the tree. When I rode in them, the pads slipped back under the saddle after a couple minutes of trotting and cantering. I guess that means the saddle is moving around? Some people at the barn have also tried their saddles on him, but no luck. Honestly, I don't even remember all the saddles we've put on his back. Elam at Loveville Leather tried some saddles on him and the best we could find was a Stubben with a size 31 tree, but even then it would have to break in and probably be re-stuffed to get a decent fit.

Any suggestions? This is frustrating! :jameo:

PM Spellbound, she is well versed in the angst of fitting long legged riders!

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Last edited:

Duckz

Hey Duckz, you should try my Courbette. I have the stylist and it has a forward flap that is great for long legs. I even shortened my stirrups a whole on Saturday. Eeek.

Let me know if you want to try it. It's medium width also.

And, I have a thin line contour pad you can try with it if you want. :)

That would be great! I haven't tried a Courbette on him yet. There's an AMIT show May 4 and another one May 18. Maybe if you're coming to one of those we can try the saddle on him? :huggy:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Have you tried the Bates? They have interchangable gullets and are comfy!

Bates are good for round horses, but I could bring my Bates too if you want to try that Duckz it's the Caprilli and I use it on my QH mare. The panels are square instead of round like on the stubbens and courbettes so they're for more "table top" horses.

Duckz

Bates are good for round horses, but I could bring my Bates too if you want to try that Duckz it's the Caprilli and I use it on my QH mare. The panels are square instead of round like on the stubbens and courbettes so they're for more "table top" horses.

I'm going to try a friend's Bates in a couple weeks...I think that shape might actually work better for him because a lot of saddles "rock" on his back, so he might need a square type panel. It's weird...he's got the TB withers, but then flattens out farther back. I'll keep you updated!

PS...I personally didn't like the one Bates I rode in a few years ago, but I'm willing to try anything!

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
I'm going to try a friend's Bates in a couple weeks...I think that shape might actually work better for him because a lot of saddles "rock" on his back, so he might need a square type panel. It's weird...he's got the TB withers, but then flattens out farther back. I'll keep you updated!

PS...I personally didn't like the one Bates I rode in a few years ago, but I'm willing to try anything!

I've got a Crosby Prix des Nation w/medium tree you are more then welcome to try. :howdy: For some reason it seems to fit many different shaped horses.

Maybe give the person you bought Lincoln from a call to see what type of saddles work well for the Draft Crosses they have.

Duckz

I've got a Crosby Prix des Nation w/medium tree you are more then welcome to try. :howdy: For some reason it seems to fit many different shaped horses.

Maybe give the person you bought Lincoln from a call to see what type of saddles work well for the Draft Crosses they have.

Ooooh, I love those saddles! Good idea...:huggy: A friend of mine works for Dover, she's going to bring some saddles to a show in a couple weeks to try them on Lincoln. I'll add that to the list of saddles she should bring! Unless you'll be at the AMIT show this weekend and want to bring your saddle :howdy:

I'll be on the huge paint with the teensy tiny saddle :jameo:

devinej

you can try my beval natural. i love it. its got their medium tree. but normal flaps.
i don't like the bates either. no offense to my bates-loving friends haha

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
you can try my beval natural. i love it. its got their medium tree. but normal flaps.
i don't like the bates either. no offense to my bates-loving friends haha

devine...you are in desperate need of a new saddle! You must really love that one!:killingme

Duckz

devine...you are in desperate need of a new saddle! You must really love that one!:killingme

It's got character :whistle:

Devine, we can throw it on Lincoln this Sunday if you're coming out, thanks! It's the new barn game called, "Does ANYTHING fit him??" :popcorn: I think a Beval is a little out of my price range though.

fredsaid2

It's got character :whistle:

Devine, we can throw it on Lincoln this Sunday if you're coming out, thanks! It's the new barn game called, "Does ANYTHING fit him??" :popcorn: I think a Beval is a little out of my price range though.

You will likely have to go the high end route to get what you need. Once you find what fits you and the horse you can go on the hunt for a used version. Tacktrader, E-Bay, Rick's Saddlery - are all good sources. Good luck!

barncat

Hey Duckz, you should try my Courbette. I have the stylist and it has a forward flap that is great for long legs. I even shortened my stirrups a whole on Saturday. Eeek.

Let me know if you want to try it. It's medium width also.

And, I have a thin line contour pad you can try with it if you want. :)

Here's info on the saddle - Courbette Saddlery Company, Inc. The Stylist

And, the thin line pad -
Ultra ThinLine Contour Pad - ThinLine Inc Saddle Pads - Every Horse, Every Rider

I was going to suggest the same thing. I've decided to sell my Stylist, pregnant again and don't see myself riding anytime in the near future, but my guy had wide, high withers, so I have the 33cm tree. It's fit just about every horse I have put it on. I used my Stylist for preliminary eventing and the extra forward flap was perfect for allowing me to get a great angle through my thigh without going over the flap.

Duckz

I was going to suggest the same thing. I've decided to sell my Stylist, pregnant again and don't see myself riding anytime in the near future, but my guy had wide, high withers, so I have the 33cm tree. It's fit just about every horse I have put it on. I used my Stylist for preliminary eventing and the extra forward flap was perfect for allowing me to get a great angle through my thigh without going over the flap.

Thanks! I sent you a PM.

Duckz

oooh the stylist sounds good duckz.....

i got my beval off EBAY!! $800!! and yes...it has LOTS of character!!! and gorilla glue....

definitely try Ricks heritage tack - Rick's Heritage Saddlery - West Chester, PA - Carrying a full line of new and used Saddles they ahve a TON of used saddles - actully mor elike 10 tons...

I did the ebay route with my HDR, and I LOVE it, but of course it doesn't fit Lincoln. I'm a little nervous buying a used saddle without trying it on the horse first, even if its the same model as what I've already tried on him. I would think there are some variations from saddle to saddle, especially if they're made in different years. Anyone have experience with that?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I did the ebay route with my HDR, and I LOVE it, but of course it doesn't fit Lincoln. I'm a little nervous buying a used saddle without trying it on the horse first, even if its the same model as what I've already tried on him. I would think there are some variations from saddle to saddle, especially if they're made in different years. Anyone have experience with that?

I got my Bates when Ruby (my QH) was my only horse and I had been riding her in that saddle for a while. I've used it on about 6 different andalusian stallions and a frieisan and it fit all of them really well. But, it did NOT fit Peanut.

I bought the Courbette for him when I was at Rolex (Kentucky) from a tack store that is located in Ohio. They said I had 10 days to get it home, ride in it and if I didn't like it I could ship it to Ohio for a refund. It fit both of us really well and was nice and comfy!

The Stubben dressage saddle I bought from Elam and I took Peanut down there and tried a handful of saddles on him and rode in a couple. I really like the Romanus HP, but the one he had in stock was a little small for me and it had a 3 month wait from Stubben. So, we ordered the extremely similar Scandica and I LOVE it.

I haven't noticed a big difference bewtween individual saddles of the same brand/design being different in size. I could see if you rode in an older model that it may be differently sized than a newer model. For example my Bates is OLD and would probably fit differently than a new Bates, not to mention that it as the wool panels, not cair and no easy change gullet system.

Duckz

Okay, we had a breakthrough tonight after test riding the Stubben and throwing some other saddles on Lincoln. The Stubben is similar to my HDR and also the Dover saddle I tried. The back panels (underneath the cantle) curve up and don't evenly distribute the weight on his back. I think that's what is causing the rocking back and forth. The saddles that work better have the flatter, wider panels that evenly distribute weight across his broad back. Now the trick is finding a saddle with the wide flat panels, enough room up front for his withers, and a long enough flap for me. Easy, right? :eyebrow: An Albion and an older model Dover Circuit fit pretty well, but of course their owners weren't interested in trading for my HDR :whistle:

By the way, I LOVED riding in the Stubben. I think its the Roxanne model.