Saddle Question

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
What do you folks use as a leather cleaner preserative on your saddles. I used saddle soap on my bike seat and it's become very slick. Not so bad if I'm wearing jeans, but when I have my rainsuit on, I'm sliding all over the place.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
aps45819 said:
What do you folks use as a leather cleaner preserative on your saddles. I used saddle soap on my bike seat and it's become very slick. Not so bad if I'm wearing jeans, but when I have my rainsuit on, I'm sliding all over the place.
Velcro! :shrug:

spellbound

aps45819 said:

Glycerine soap will do that. Horsemen's One Step leaves a bit of a tacky feel. You can also try conditioning it with Lexol after you clean it.

fredsaid2

I like Stubben Hammanol, a leather conditioner, for the bit of tackiness it leaves. I've also found that glycerine applied very dry with a barely moistened sponge will leave a good tacky layer. Once the leather gets wet you're probably out of luck whichever product you use. Maybe just get some Saddle-Tite, it comes in a small deodorant like dispenser. Go to any local tack shop to find it. Riders use it for extra grip.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Loveville Leather is right outside of Leonardtown on Rt 5. Elam has a great selection of leather care products, and they are very knowledgeable.
By the way....do you wear chaps? I love the look....:faint:

DQ2B

Saddle soap is a leather cleaner and not meant for "everyday" use. You also should never let the soap foam up when you use it as this indicates too much water is being used. Additionally, if you are using saddle soap, you must go back over the leather with a clean damp sponge to remove any residue and then always follow with a conditioner. Saddle soap alone leaves residue and will dry out the leather.

mingiz

Horse Poor
Years ago when I first started riding I made the mistake of putting armour all on my saddle seat. :killingme :lmao: Luckily it was western so I had a horn to hold onto....Wow what a ride that was until it wore off. :lmao: I usually use a good harness cleaner. Leaves it soft and non tacky... :howdy:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
DQ2B said:
if you are using saddle soap, you must go back over the leather with a clean damp sponge to remove any residue and then always follow with a conditioner. Saddle soap alone leaves residue and will dry out the leather.
Thanks, If I don't get by Loveville today, I'll try and hit WallyMart for some Lexol

fredsaid2

DQ2B said:
Saddle soap is a leather cleaner and not meant for "everyday" use. You also should never let the soap foam up when you use it as this indicates too much water is being used. Additionally, if you are using saddle soap, you must go back over the leather with a clean damp sponge to remove any residue and then always follow with a conditioner. Saddle soap alone leaves residue and will dry out the leather.

The excess water is the drying agent. After cleaning and conditioning you should seal the leather by buffing on a thin layer of glycerin soap. Use a dry sponge and dip the bar in the water, helps to get the right amount of moisture to work correctly. This will seal the pores in the leather and keep in the conditioner you applied earlier.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
After your leather is clean, I recommend a beeswax waterproof, conditions, protects. I use Australian Leather Seal