Saddles!

SugarNSpikes

I'm looking for a new saddle and Dover has some decent mark-downs going on. Thing is.. I'm not UTD on all of the popular brands. I found a kincade that looks nice, are they any good?

I need just a regular all-purpose/eq saddle that can hold up to almost daily riding. The saddle I have now is just no good anymore.. well it is.. but the color is really wearing and the flaps have really horrible rub-marks on it.

devinej

hmm i'd go try some at Elams so you can sit in them.

kinkade is a cheap brand, made to save costs so not high quality. any tack made in india is low quality mostli likely . get something made in france or england (avoid argentina and india)

there's a large difference between all-purpose (some call them no-purpose) saddles and equitation/hunter saddles. i'd go for a close contact hunt seat saddle if you are going to do any jumping.

Pessoas are OK-made saddles that put you in a nice position. i'd look into those. also some people like the bates, i don't like them much though. check ebay for even better deals on used saddles...better if they are already broken in. i bought a County Pro-fit a little while ago for $500. made in 1987 and still going strong, i love it.

good brand saddles (high quality, good design):
Beval
County
Butet
Pessoa (preferably nelson)
Hermes
amerigo
pj
bates

to prevent the stirrup rubs and stuff, you can clean and oil your tack.

fredsaid2

Pessoas are OK-made saddles that put you in a nice position. i'd look into those. also some people like the bates, i don't like them much though. check ebay for even better deals on used saddles...better if they are already broken in. i bought a County Pro-fit a little while ago for $500. made in 1987 and still going strong, i love it.

Beval
County
Butet
Hermes
amerigo
pj
bates

What a great deal you got on your County!

Another suggestion is to use lined calfskin leathers. The softer leather is kinder to your flaps.

Check E-bay and Tack Trader for deals.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
hmm i'd go try some at Elams so you can sit in them.

kinkade is a cheap brand, made to save costs so not high quality. any tack made in india is low quality mostli likely . get something made in france or england (avoid argentina and india)

there's a large difference between all-purpose (some call them no-purpose) saddles and equitation/hunter saddles. i'd go for a close contact hunt seat saddle if you are going to do any jumping.

Beval
County
Butet
Hermes
amerigo
pj
bates

Some saddles you should NEVER oil, it cheapens the quality of the leather. I am thinking of selling my brand new Bates Elevation for a good deal. I don't like it as much as my Caprelli and was thinking about getting a Pessoa instead. I have only ridden in it a few times. I will probably around $1200 for it.

Duckz

I'm looking for a new saddle and Dover has some decent mark-downs going on. Thing is.. I'm not UTD on all of the popular brands. I found a kincade that looks nice, are they any good?

I need just a regular all-purpose/eq saddle that can hold up to almost daily riding. The saddle I have now is just no good anymore.. well it is.. but the color is really wearing and the flaps have really horrible rub-marks on it.

Dover's line of saddles are inexpensive and in my experience pretty good quality for the price. I would have bought one but the Bates fit my horse a lot better.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I have a HDR and love it. For my boy I need a different saddle. He isn't as wide as the horse I bought it for.

I need to find a money tree somewhere...

FrmGrl

Get some!
A lot of saddles are made in Argentina now. Including Collegiates!. Pessoa's are nice but no longer made in Europe either. Most saddles still produced over there are very, very expensive. I had a Bates and sold it. I did not like it. I now carry Pessoa's so I am going to try one of those. Ebay has a lot of good deals on used saddles right now. Elam is still having a saddle sale I believe. I also sat in a Dover Circuit, it was very nice. Better off getting a used saddle made of high quality than a cheaper, newer saddle.

Berney Brothers

There is a beautiful Berney Brothers (Ireland) for sale on Ebay. Berneys are really comfortable. She's only asking $250.00 good price for one of them.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I agree with Devine that you should go with quality. I know it's more expensive but they're generally much more comfortable and much longer lasting so you're going to get more out of it. I four very different saddles and I like all of them.

I have a Bates Caprilli that is probably older than I am. I bought it like third hand used. It's super, super comfortable and quite obviously built to last!

I have a Courbette The Stylist that I bought 4 years ago at Rolex because the deal was just too good to pass up and the saving were more than the cost it would be to ship it back to KY if it didn't fit my horse. Thankfully it fit and I love it! Nice forward flap for my long legs and rounded panels for my slab sided horse.

Two years ago I broke down and decided I needed to buy a real dressage saddle so I went down to Elam's and I rode in 4-5 different saddles and ended up liking the Stubben Romanus the best however the Romanus would have take 3 months to order and ship from Germany so I went with the Stubben Scandica which was in stock and I love it too! It's super comfy and the elk hide is so soft.

When I got my new mare in Canada she didn't fit in any of the saddles I had for my other two horses so I had to go shopping once again. This time I opted for treeless and tried a Barefoot London. Wow, it's light, it fits great, and it's like riding on a sofa!

So, all four of those brands have my seal of approval.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
I agree with Devine that you should go with quality. I know it's more expensive but they're generally much more comfortable and much longer lasting so you're going to get more out of it. I four very different saddles and I like all of them.

I have a Bates Caprilli that is probably older than I am. I bought it like third hand used. It's super, super comfortable and quite obviously built to last!

I have a Courbette The Stylist that I bought 4 years ago at Rolex because the deal was just too good to pass up and the saving were more than the cost it would be to ship it back to KY if it didn't fit my horse. Thankfully it fit and I love it! Nice forward flap for my long legs and rounded panels for my slab sided horse.

Two years ago I broke down and decided I needed to buy a real dressage saddle so I went down to Elam's and I rode in 4-5 different saddles and ended up liking the Stubben Romanus the best however the Romanus would have take 3 months to order and ship from Germany so I went with the Stubben Scandica which was in stock and I love it too! It's super comfy and the elk hide is so soft.

When I got my new mare in Canada she didn't fit in any of the saddles I had for my other two horses so I had to go shopping once again. This time I opted for treeless and tried a Barefoot London. Wow, it's light, it fits great, and it's like riding on a sofa!

So, all four of those brands have my seal of approval.

Good point about saddle fit. No matter how much you may like a saddle if it doesn't fit your horse then you are back to saddle hunting. Testing or borrowing a saddle you are interested in is the best thing. What might feel comfortable and put you in the correct position at the tack store might be totally wrong once it goes on your horse. If your planning on jumping I'd recommend looking at a Close Contact vs an All Purpose. Dover's Circuit saddles seem to be a good deal right now at $699 in both a regular and wide tree. Good Luck on your saddle hunting.:howdy:

devinej

good point, the nicer saddles tend to fit horses better too. bates and collegiate and pessoa now have interchangeable gullets so you can change the width to fit your horse.

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)

I have a 16.5 Courbette Alpine hasn't been ridden in over 3 years. Didn't fit my new guys. PM if you want to try it

FrmGrl

Get some!

MDLawGirl

I keep hearing about Elam's...where is his shop? I would love to check out his stock. I need a new saddle for my draftx and cannot spare the $$$ now for the brand new custom I am in love with. :bawl:

devinej

YOU"VE NEVER BEEN TO ELAM"S?!?!?!?!

wow...

route 5, a few miles north of leonardtown you will find Loveville. on the right side of the road if you are going north, there's be a sign for loveville leather, go down that long driveway and follow the signs, you'll find it. Elam is mennonite. its open till 6 everyday except sunday.