Satellite dish removal

Goldenhawk

...you said you were offering said service you bleeping morons.
Heh. Years ago when our neighborhood was new, Metrocast sent flyers, but insisted (when I called about once every six months) that they didn't serve my neighborhood just yet. Then one day I was chatting with my neighbor who said he'd had it for a year already. I called them. "Nope, don't have it in your neighborhood yet." "Yes, you do about 100 feet away from my house. Send someone." Idiots.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Satellite company will not remove it because they do not want to be responsible for any damage that may occur from removing it. I have a big azz antenna on my roof from the previous owners. Debating about removing or cutting it down as low as possible. We have a metal roof. I'd leave it or just remove the dish part like another poster suggested.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
But they don't seem to have a problem drilling holes in the roof or sidewall to mount it.....

True. I guess they are more confident in their installation skills vs. their removal skills. Maybe the odds of it leaking are higher with removal than install so they're willing to risk it.

DEEKAYPEE8569

True. I guess they are more confident in their installation skills vs. their removal skills. Maybe the odds of it leaking are higher with removal than install so they're willing to risk it.
There is a quick-n-easy fix they might try when removing anything.....putting the screws back in the holes and/or applying clear RTV; leaving you, the homeowner to go back later and replace things with screws or holes or RTV in them.....at your own expense.

Clem72

??? Seems much more likely they would rather leave it in place as a reminder/to make it easier for you or the next owner/tenant to subscribe to their service.

Why do you think they offer to install a new antenna when you move and leave the old one in place? So the person who moves in after you will see it and go "oh look, it's already setup for DirecTv. Guess I should just give them a call instead of calling Dish."

DEEKAYPEE8569

??? Seems much more likely they would rather leave it in place as a reminder/to make it easier for you or the next owner/tenant to subscribe to their service.

Why do you think they offer to install a new antenna when you move and leave the old one in place? So the person who moves in after you will see it and go "oh look, it's already setup for DirecTv. Guess I should just give them a call instead of calling Dish."
Well, there's that.....

Goldenhawk

...except that the last time I had an install done, the installer looked at the existing dish, and said "well, that's an older model, so we're just going to install a new dish. Oh, and the new dish uses a larger pole than before, so I need to install a whole new base and pole." So now there are two dishes on the roof instead of one...

DEEKAYPEE8569

...except that the last time I had an install done, the installer looked at the existing dish, and said "well, that's an older model, so we're just going to install a new dish. Oh, and the new dish uses a larger pole than before, so I need to install a whole new base and pole." So now there are two dishes on the roof instead of one...
So, you could have taken the older dish assembly off the roof yourself and canned it without anybody saying anything? Would you have, before the new equipment install?

Goldenhawk

So, you could have taken the older dish assembly off the roof yourself and canned it without anybody saying anything? Would you have, before the new equipment install?
Oh, sure. Could easily have done that, if it wasn't needed. I actually left it up there, because... well, long story involving needing additional antenna outputs to feed additional new receivers.

I've tossed a few dishes so far that came down during house renovations (actually, put them in the recycled metal pile at the landfill; I'm SOMEWHAT eco-friendly). Each time, DirecTV told me they didn't want them back. They always SAY they want the receiver back, but never send me the box to ship it, so I'm guessing that it's not really valuable to them if it's not fairly new.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Oh, sure. Could easily have done that, if it wasn't needed. I actually left it up there, because... well, long story involving needing additional antenna outputs to feed additional new receivers.

I've tossed a few dishes so far that came down during house renovations (actually, put them in the recycled metal pile at the landfill; I'm SOMEWHAT eco-friendly). Each time, DirecTV told me they didn't want them back. They always SAY they want the receiver back, but never send me the box to ship it, so I'm guessing that it's not really valuable to them if it's not fairly new.
So, dump it, or put it in the back of a closet. :shrug:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

A year ago we went with the genie thing they offer. The only receiver we had to send back was the HD one that recorded. The other 2 we were told to send back the card and toss the receivers.

Restitution

One of the things that irritated the ever-loving-piss out of me was that they kept sending flyers to my house that if I 'SIGN UP NOW' that I could pay almost 1/3 of what I was actually paying - then when I called and asked for the special price, they told me that it's for "new customers only". When I pointed out that it sounds like they care a lot more about getting new customers than taking care of existing loyal customers they actually wanted to debate me about that over the phone. Who aggressively argues with their customers over something like that? Especially when I'm holding proof in my freaking hands.

This is true of a LOT of providers.

I have DirecTV. I love it even though I can get a like or similar service through other providers. I have been with them for 13 years.

Decided to expand my service into another bedroom in my home to make a total of 4 rooms using DirecTV. I already had the line for service in the room, just needed the receiver to hook it up. I called DirecTV to ask if they could send me one. NOPE! You need to pay $199 for it. I then asked them why they can offer "new customers" a free 4-room connection BUT, they cannot offer a loyal, 13-year customer the same thing! I spent 2 weeks on and off the phones with them before I finally had a customer service district manager relent and send me the receiver. Had to threaten leaving too.

Bottom line... once they have you (especially when in a contract) you are not the latest and greatest thing. Just another number. Welcome to business practice in the 21st century!

FettZilla

Yeah, I had to uninstall mine after I moved 5 years ago. Thank goodness it was on the lowerside of the house than on the roof.

BernieP

Resident PIA
My understanding of the way satellite is hooked up is, it is tapped into your existing coaxial cables and connected to receivers inside the house. GURPS, GW, correct me if I'm wrong.
(Yeah, I'm probably wrong).

Depends on the install. But disconnecting the antenna is easy compared to removing it, which I believe is the question.
Personally, I'd leave the brackets installed. If you want to, take down the dish and other components. But leave the bolts alone, even if they are in the rafters and not just the sheathing.

officeguy

Remove the bracket next time you need the roof replaced. If you take off the bracket, you have to replace two rows of shingles where it sits right now.