Satellite vs Cable

HopHead

Remember a few years ago (2000 i think) during the ice storm when the cable service pooped out during the Super Bowl and they had to re-air it the next weekend? I had DirectTV and didn't miss a down. Granted, during the commercials, I had to run out and chip the ice off of the dish.

ylexot

Super Genius
Homer J said:
So am I making a mistake by considering dropping DirecTV and going with Metrocast? The only reason I'm looking into it is for the cable internet. I am just so sick of dial-up. I know you can get cable internet without subscribing to the tv part but it is cheaper if you bundle it.

:jameo: Help, I'm confused.
I switched from DirecTV to Metrocast Digital cable/HD/DVR (but never stopped the DirecTV...just in case). It sucked so bad that I dropped it a couple months later. The "digital" was horrible. The HD channels were nice...except for the occasional digital artifact. I kept the internet though. Oh, and DirecTV will give you upgrades if you tell them that you're thinking of switching. :yay:

BTW, now I am having problems with Metrocast billing (they have the worst billing I have ever seen). Apparently, when you sign up for auto bill pay, it doesn't automatically pay your bill :dork:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
HopHead said:
Remember a few years ago (2000 i think) during the ice storm when the cable service pooped out during the Super Bowl and they had to re-air it the next weekend? I had DirectTV and didn't miss a down. Granted, during the commercials, I had to run out and chip the ice off of the dish.

:lmao:

Isn't that a beotch? It's even worse when your dish is on top of your two-story house. I swear next time I have to get the extension ladder out to climb up there and chip ice I'm going to run heat tape to it! I'm scared of heights. :bawl:

ImnoMensa

The thing that gets to me about cable, Dish, Direct TV is the crap you have to take in the package. I dont want or need BET VH-1 or half of the other channels you have to take to get it.

No matter what you get or how many packages you get ,there still isnt anything much worth watching. How many times can you watch the same episode of Law and Order,CSI, Special Victims before you want to wring the thing out. same for the movies. The same ones over and over. How many times have I watched "El Dorado"

pooty_smack

wv4x4 said:
How many people have switched to satellite from cable. Im tired of my cable bill being outrageous. Is it any cheaper? Direct tv or Dish?

Had Direct TV years ago. I hated during any thunderstorm or heavy rains I could never watch TV when I had it. It wasn't just my setup either,I know others with the same problem now. Switched to Comcast and it's way better. Very rare for it to go out

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
General Lee said:
Can't you get a HD box and install it for high definition TV?

You need a different dish for HD and it has to point to 5 differnet satalites not just one. I have too many trees for that to work all year.

bfncbs1

Can you ping me now? Good
Radiant1 said:
:yeahthat: I pay about $60/month for my hughesnet service. The speed is acceptable but satellite 'net is unreliable for gaming or VPN. The satellite the dish points to for 'net is different and it does tend to lose link more often than DirecTV.

Take your $60 bucks your wasting on hughesnet and dump it for EVDO. There is no comparison when you look at the actual speed and latency. It was the best thing I ever did!

Doesn't matter which you choose. Sprint or Verizon Wireless. The only difference is VZW has a 5GB cap.

Plus you can get rid of that god awful ugly dish for direcway...

bfncbs1

pooty_smack said:
Had Direct TV years ago. I hated during any thunderstorm or heavy rains I could never watch TV when I had it. It wasn't just my setup either,I know others with the same problem now. Switched to Comcast and it's way better. Very rare for it to go out

That was a problem years ago....You no longer have those same problems. When I first had DTV about 12 years ago if it even thought about raining it would go out....if the wind blew the slightest it would go out. Nowadays it could be a monsoon out side and you generally will not lose TV service.

DTV has improved leaps and bounds since those dats. I have had cable and DTV and in my own opinion DTV wins by a mile. The Picture quality versus cable says it all.

pingrr

Homer J said:
So am I making a mistake by considering dropping DirecTV and going with Metrocast? The only reason I'm looking into it is for the cable internet. I am just so sick of dial-up. I know you can get cable internet without subscribing to the tv part but it is cheaper if you bundle it.

:jameo: Help, I'm confused.

Don't do it. Metro cast sucks. It is by far the worst cable company I have ever dealt with.

General Lee

bfncbs1 said:
Take your $60 bucks your wasting on hughesnet and dump it for EVDO. There is no comparison when you look at the actual speed and latency. It was the best thing I ever did!

Doesn't matter which you choose. Sprint or Verizon Wireless. The only difference is VZW has a 5GB cap.

Plus you can get rid of that god awful ugly dish for direcway...

What is EVDO? I have hughesnet and it sucks. Are you talking about an air card? Right now my only option is hughesnet and I'm not happy with it.

bfncbs1

General Lee said:
What is EVDO? I have hughesnet and it sucks. Are you talking about an air card? Right now my only option is hughesnet and I'm not happy with it.

yes the aircard.....there is no comparison. Hughesnet can even be metion in the same breath as EVDO.

Trust me I had Hughesnet for 6 long years and when EVDO came along I was happy to sledge hammer that dish in my yard.

Try it out and you wont be disappointed. They also have the USB available if u prefer that over the card.

Nitz

SO MD PHOTO
Go to the verizon store ask for the evdo card and get the usb model. You need a decent cell signal at your house to do this. Take the USB evdo and put it in your pc and load it up and get it working. Once you do that take the network connection and put it in the WAN or internet part of your wireless router.
Turn on internet connection sharing and reboot the router and you should be off to enjoying good internet. It kills hughes. Ive installed it for a couple of dish people and they can finally enjoy high speed. Also your xbox will work in that mix as well. Enjoy SMN

dn0121

I'mno Mensa said:
The thing that gets to me about cable, Dish, Direct TV is the crap you have to take in the package. I dont want or need BET VH-1 or half of the other channels you have to take to get it.

No matter what you get or how many packages you get ,there still isnt anything much worth watching. How many times can you watch the same episode of Law and Order,CSI, Special Victims before you want to wring the thing out. same for the movies. The same ones over and over. How many times have I watched "El Dorado"

Get a DVR then no more problems. Also if you could buy only the channels you wanted then it would cost more. They get subsides to carry the crap channels because the channel can charge for advertising. Channel makes money and says you can have such and such for this price but only if you carry this one too.

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
DirecTV owner here!

When are we getting more HD channels? I just got my extra module in the mail last week.

Thor

vanbells said:
DirecTV owner here!

When are we getting more HD channels? I just got my extra module in the mail last week.

We have the D-Tv HD package and about the only thing that makes it worthwhile is HD HBO. All the local HD channels from DC and Balt I can pull HD signals for free from my off air antenna in the attic.

In fact D-Tv will not allow us to view the Balt local channels which sucks becuse we are Ravens fans but are forced to watch the Redskins on the dish. Luckily the Balt local affiliates broadcast over the air a HD signal.

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
wv4x4 said:
How many people have switched to satellite from cable. Im tired of my cable bill being outrageous. Is it any cheaper? Direct tv or Dish?

Well, we have MetroCast for Internet. About 50 bucks a month. Because the level of freq that the Internet runs on, you still get ALL the basic and extended channels... they just won't tell you that. But where we live, we don't have much choice.

If you enjoy the Internet OFF more than it is ON and absolutely pitiful channel quality. go with MetroCast. Oh! along with a scathing and deplorable customer service. Welcome to the monopoly of this county!

dn0121

DooDoo1402 said:
Well, we have MetroCast for Internet. About 50 bucks a month. Because the level of freq that the Internet runs on, you still get ALL the basic and extended channels... they just won't tell you that. But where we live, we don't have much choice.

Does the local HD run on that too?

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
Thor said:
We have the D-Tv HD package and about the only thing that makes it worthwhile is HD HBO. All the local HD channels from DC and Balt I can pull HD signals for free from my off air antenna in the attic.

In fact D-Tv will not allow us to view the Balt local channels which sucks becuse we are Ravens fans but are forced to watch the Redskins on the dish. Luckily the Balt local affiliates broadcast over the air a HD signal.

Have you tried Discovery HD? Planet Earth series is pretty crazy.