Scanner Terms, FAQ's and Basic Information

mdff21

I thought St. Mary's stopped using the Conditions on fires when they stopped using the 10 codes. I haven't heard any of them use Engine 31 10-23 Condition 1 for quite some time, with the other units going 10-19, 10-48 or 10-47.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
It depends on who's officer on the truck. The terms are still recognized by Fireboard.

Kumba

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any info on Charles' call signs on their radio?

I've figured out what an Adam (Patrol), Adam-Paul (acting sergeant), and Paul (sergeant) are. Traffic Ops is self-explanatory. I think "ID" is the investigative division, and Charles-Ocean is a corrections officer. But I'm a tad stumped on the rest. Clues/Thoughts?

Here's the ones I've observed, and taken guesses at:

Car (no assigned function?)
David (detective?)
John (PG liason? Uses 4-digit identifiers, which matches up with PG numbering).
Robert (School resource officer?)
Sam (Prison? SWAT?)
Victor (Vice/Narc?)

mdff21

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any info on Charles' call signs on their radio?

I've figured out what an Adam (Patrol), Adam-Paul (acting sergeant), and Paul (sergeant) are. Traffic Ops is self-explanatory. I think "ID" is the investigative division, and Charles-Ocean is a corrections officer. But I'm a tad stumped on the rest. Clues/Thoughts?

Here's the ones I've observed, and taken guesses at:

Car (no assigned function?)
David (detective?)
John (PG liason? Uses 4-digit identifiers, which matches up with PG numbering).
Robert (School resource officer?)
Sam (Prison? SWAT?)
Victor (Vice/Narc?)

CAR # Higher ranking in department. ie. Car 1 Sheriff Coffey

Kumba

CAR # Higher ranking in department. ie. Car 1 Sheriff Coffey

Ah, that explains a few things. Does the lower the identifier (like 1xx over 2xx) signify a higher rank, or is Coffey the exception as Car #1 (which I don't think I've picked up on my scanner before).

mdff21

Not really, the numbers are assigned to the individual when hired, with the exception of command staff. They have the lowest numbers and usually 2 digits. The three digits numbers are the numbers used when hired and once the officer retires the number is no longer used. However those that have been there the longest will have lower numbers and most likely have been promoted to a higher rank. There are a few exceptions, some just like to do patrol work and remain at a lower rank.

Kumba

Not really, the numbers are assigned to the individual when hired, with the exception of command staff. They have the lowest numbers and usually 2 digits. The three digits numbers are the numbers used when hired and once the officer retires the number is no longer used. However those that have been there the longest will have lower numbers and most likely have been promoted to a higher rank. There are a few exceptions, some just like to do patrol work and remain at a lower rank.

Ah, that's good info. I've only ever heard one two-digit identifier before, and that was a "Charles-Ocean" one, which I assumed to be a corrections officer. I frequently heard it when they were entering/leaving the county and going straight to the detention center.

mike2u

Charles County Rebanding & Radioreference.com

Greetings all,since the rebanding in Charles I've noticed that it's dissapeared on RadioReference.com. Anyone have any insight on that? I had to have my RadioShack Pro96 rebanded but that wasn't a problem.
Happy scanning!

Kumba

Greetings all,since the rebanding in Charles I've noticed that it's dissapeared on RadioReference.com. Anyone have any insight on that? I had to have my RadioShack Pro96 rebanded but that wasn't a problem.
Happy scanning!

They're still there:
Charles County Trunking System, La Plata, Maryland - Scanner Frequencies

However, unless you have a Uniden HomePatrol-1 (which gets its updates from RR), you'll have to program in a custom band plan in order for the scanner to properly track the new frequencies. Info on that is here:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding

officeguy

Who has the call sign 'Ocean King' ? I assume it's not the fishing trawler by that name. Is that the bridge police ?

Kumba

Who has the call sign 'Ocean King' ? I assume it's not the fishing trawler by that name. Is that the bridge police ?
That's not a callsign, but instead law enforcement phonetic alphabet for saying "OK". State police agencies (MSP, DNR/NRP, MdTA Bridge Police) switched to the military alphabet (alpha, delta, november, romeo, tango, etc) a while back and abandoned the 10-codes (so "off duty" instead of "10-42"), but local police have stuck with the law enforcement alphabet (adam, david, nora, robert, tom, etc) and the 10-codes.

Last edited:

officeguy

That's not a callsign, but instead law enforcement phonetic alphabet for saying "OK". State police agencies (MSP, DNR/NRP, MdTA Bridge Police) switched to the military alphabet (alpha, delta, november, robert, tango, etc) a while back and abandoned the 10-codes (so "off duty" instead of "10-42"), but local police have stuck with the law enforcement alphabet (adam, david, nora, robert, tom, etc) and the 10-codes.

doh!

Thanks.

Kumba

doh!

Thanks.

You can find additional talkgroups (what a "channel" is called on a digital system) here at Radio Reference (great place to hang out for scanner info, hit the forums up if you've got any troubles with your particular scanner model):
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2847

MSP and MdTA technically have their own separate radio systems right now, both of which are old analog systems. But they participate on the county's digital system for the most part. At some point, the big wigs up in Annapolis will eventually bring FiRST down here, which is the all-digital, state-wide radio system for state agencies, and MSP/MdTA will use that instead. No idea if they'll still peer with the county system when that happens.

One outlier, is DNR/NRP. They operate on their TAWES system, and it's a bit of an odd one. They do not peer into the county system at all. More here:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=607

officeguy

You can find additional talkgroups (what a "channel" is called on a digital system) here at Radio Reference (great place to hang out for scanner info, hit the forums up if you've got any troubles with your particular scanner model):
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2847

MSP and MdTA technically have their own separate radio systems right now, both of which are old analog systems. But they participate on the county's digital system for the most part. At some point, the big wigs up in Annapolis will eventually bring FiRST down here, which is the all-digital, state-wide radio system for state agencies, and MSP/MdTA will use that instead. No idea if they'll still peer with the county system when that happens.

One outlier, is DNR/NRP. They operate on their TAWES system, and it's a bit of an odd one. They do not peer into the county system at all. More here:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=607

The stupidity, waste and abuse that governs public safety in MD is truly astounding.