Schooling Shows

ARWB01R

What schooling shows are taking place in Southern Maryland in the next month or so? I know there's one at FIF, Freestate, SMHA, MSA...any others? Thanks!

K

Katie

FIF is 5/5/07.

SMAH is next weekend.

AMIT is 5/6/07

Not sure about any others.

Just went to MSA today. REALLY tired.

ARWB01R

Katie said:
FIF is 5/5/07.

SMAH is next weekend.

AMIT is 5/6/07

Not sure about any others.

Just went to MSA today. REALLY tired.

How did you do today? :howdy:

SMHA is next weekend? I thought it was the weekend of the 19/20? Know of anything this weekend? The 5th is prom so trying to work around that. :razz:

K

Katie

ARWB01R said:
How did you do today? :howdy:

SMHA is next weekend? I thought it was the weekend of the 19/20? Know of anything this weekend? The 5th is prom so trying to work around that. :razz:

This weekend coming up. I had a bike ride scheduled to work at this weekend, but something came up so I might do it.

I went this weekend for exposure to the show scene for my horse. He hasn't been to a show in a very long time. he was a total and complete angel. Just hung out. We went into one very large class, and he was fine. I didn't place but when there is 30 riders... :huggy:

fredsaid2

Katie said:
This weekend coming up. I had a bike ride scheduled to work at this weekend, but something came up so I might do it.

I went this weekend for exposure to the show scene for my horse. He hasn't been to a show in a very long time. he was a total and complete angel. Just hung out. We went into one very large class, and he was fine. I didn't place but when there is 30 riders... :huggy:

Sunday MSA may be a schooling show but it draws a lot of nice horses and riders. Some stay over from the saturday show. Pinning at all is quite an accomplishment. Glad to hear it went well, hope you enjoyed the beautiful weather!

K

Katie

fredsaid2 said:
Sunday MSA may be a schooling show but it draws a lot of nice horses and riders. Some stay over from the saturday show. Pinning at all is quite an accomplishment. Glad to hear it went well, hope you enjoyed the beautiful weather!

I really wanted to see how he was at a horse show off the farm. My neck is rather sunburned today!!

fredsaid2

Katie said:
I really wanted to see how he was at a horse show off the farm. My neck is rather sunburned today!!

Co-workers would always say "show this weekend?" when I'd come in monday w/ a lovely sunburn! I'd make sure everyone around me had sunblock and forget myself.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Katie said:
Katie, your horse did great. I would take him in the hunter flat classes next time and not worry about the equ. classes. He moves beautifully. Did you get to see Elvis get champion ?! I think everyone from our area that went did fabulously (except Sadie -turkey). I didn't get home until midnight. I went back to bed after putting the kids on the bus and woke up by alarm clock after 11.That show is way too large. Almost every class has 25 - 46 riders in it. We may start going to the VHSA shows and see how they run. I love the competition but I do not like the long day. :jameo:

K

Katie

Sadielady said:
Katie, your horse did great. I would take him in the hunter flat classes next time and not worry about the equ. classes. He moves beautifully. Did you get to see Elvis get champion ?! I think everyone from our area that went did fabulously (except Sadie -turkey). I didn't get home until midnight. I went back to bed after putting the kids on the bus and woke up by alarm clock after 11.That show is way too large. Almost every class has 25 - 46 riders in it. We may start going to the VHSA shows and see how they run. I love the competition but I do not like the long day. :jameo:

Yeah my equitation is horrible. I admit it.

He is a TOTAL love bug isn't he. I need to work on the canter with him at the farm, and than show.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Katie said:

He is a TOTAL love bug isn't he. I need to work on the canter with him at the farm, and than show.

Katie you picked a great day to bring Ashton out for your first show together. If you still need to work on the Canter just take him in the WT classes. The Open Horse Pleasure WT, the English Horse WT, and Sr. English Please Horse WT. All of those classes are judged on the way the horse moves. Plus once you get a horse trailer you wouldn't have to get to the show until after lunch time.!!!! :lmao:

Nice hanging out with you at the show.

Yes we So. Marylanders did pretty good yesterday. :yay:

Maybe if MSA moved the Western Classes to Saturday like So. Maryland does they could use the back to ring too. I know it would mean hiring another judge, but those classes shouldn't still be going on at midnight. However it sure would be cooler in the summer.

Man my mind is going like crazy. Guess those darn Frozen Capacinnos at WAWA make me hyper. :lmao:

K

Katie

BZHorseMomE said:
Katie you picked a great day to bring Ashton out for your first show together. If you still need to work on the Canter just take him in the WT classes. The Open Horse Pleasure WT, the English Horse WT, and Sr. English Please Horse WT. All of those classes are judged on the way the horse moves. Plus once you get a horse trailer you wouldn't have to get to the show until after lunch time.!!!! :lmao:

he does move rather nice doesn't he. YOu should see him move when i am not tense, and when we have room to really move out.

BZHorseMomE

Katie said:
he does move rather nice doesn't he. YOu should see him move when i am not tense, and when we have room to really move out.

It is so much fun to ride a horse with a little spring to his trot!!! You sure looked like you were having fun in your class. I was watching with Sadielady.

Eventer29

It was our first time showing at MSA since i was doing short stirrup (8 yrs old) Man have the shows grown! I was surprised to see QUITE that many people in the classes on the schooling day. We got there at 11 not knowing how the show would run time wise. figured we'd be early but the kids wanted extra schooling time. Well they got plenty!!! My sister didnt take my greenie in her classes till about 5, then the rest didnt ride till about 7, didnt finish till about 9:30. OMg loong day. Esp after eventing for a few years knowing exactly when you ride and being able to plan when to get there and about when you will finish. We had fun though, and the greenies, kids and horses all got some exposure. My kids and sis jokingly told me they want to stick to jumpers n they never want to do hunters again lol. But I think they will try again. And when my mare is back in action I'll do the hunters there with her.
I probably wouldnt recommend MSA for someone looking for a real schooling experience. (ie, first time out, very green horse)
I have heard Freestate is a good schooling show. and Mounted Wanderers if you like lots of flat classes and not much over fences at all but a couple hunter hack classes.

K

Katie

Eventer29 said:
My sister didnt take my greenie in her classes till about 5, then the rest didnt ride till about 7, didnt finish till about 9:30. OMg loong day. Esp after eventing for a few years knowing exactly when you ride and being able to plan when to get there and about when you will finish. We had fun though, and the greenies, kids and horses all got some exposure.

I watched the Green class, and couldn't believe how big the canter class was for the greenies.

BZHorseMomE

Eventer29 said:
It was our first time showing at MSA since i was doing short stirrup (8 yrs old) Man have the shows grown! I was surprised to see QUITE that many people in the classes on the schooling day. We got there at 11 not knowing how the show would run time wise. figured we'd be early but the kids wanted extra schooling time. Well they got plenty!!! My sister didnt take my greenie in her classes till about 5, then the rest didnt ride till about 7, didnt finish till about 9:30. OMg loong day. Esp after eventing for a few years knowing exactly when you ride and being able to plan when to get there and about when you will finish. We had fun though, and the greenies, kids and horses all got some exposure. My kids and sis jokingly told me they want to stick to jumpers n they never want to do hunters again lol. But I think they will try again. And when my mare is back in action I'll do the hunters there with her.
I probably wouldnt recommend MSA for someone looking for a real schooling experience. (ie, first time out, very green horse)
I have heard Freestate is a good schooling show. and Mounted Wanderers if you like lots of flat classes and not much over fences at all but a couple hunter hack classes.

I keep saying we need to start a Tri-County Horse Show Association. :lmao: Honestly the rings at PG are great, but the time it takes to water them down constently can really slow the show up. Like I said they need to move the Western Classes to Saturday. Then they need to have more specialized division for English so you don't see the same people or horses going in 3 or 4 divisions. Guess with each division going so long the horses and riders can recharge there batteries to go in so many divisions. With the show running 17 hours long it really does seem like a two day show :jameo: :killingme

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Katie said:

The nice thing about equitation is you can fix it. Luckily you bought a nice moving horse. You can't make an ugly moving horse a nice mover, but equitation can be fixed. That is why I love to teach equitation. I can teach my students to look good even if they have crappy moving horses! Ashton is adorable and you would probably clean up in the show ring going in the classes BZ said too. He is flashy and he was being a good boy!

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Eventer29 said:
At first I thought you said you were 8 years old, but I think you meant one of your students! I am still tired from MSA. You should try SMHA next weekend. I was home by 3 PM their last show. There was still decent competetion 10 - 25 in a class, but it was not a rediculously long day. Next time your out look for us. I am riding a huge dark grey that is bucking around the ring! "Fade to Gray" is her show name.
AMIT (A Moment in Time) has schooling shows. They are not as busy as either MSA or SMHA. The next one will be MAY 6.
Flat Iron has a schooling show MAY 5

Winn Dixie

Song of the South
Eventer29 said:

What a long show it was indeed and if I saw your sister circle one more time on the concrete in front of the food stand I was going to scream! :smack: She had to be circling at least an hour since the food line dwindled and grew again at least twice. :coffee: Does that horse have any hooves left? :whistle: Why didn't she just take her for a walk down by the water or in the warm up ring? :jameo: The beautiful weather did make for a wonderful show and taking home a bundle of ribbons didn't hurt either. :howdy:

Eventer29

LOL sadielady I am 23 and havent show at MSA since I was 8 yrs old or so. I didnt know SMHA had jumper classes till last week, and unfortunately since I didnt put the date on my calender ahead of time, plans were made for me lol. Otherwise Id at least go on Saturday for the jumper classes.
Even though MSA was crowded and long it was a nice experience for our greenies. They were all "up" that day. I felt a little bad for my one student on her tb gelding, at home he is sooo lazy she cant get him to move 1/2 the time, he was soo wired cause she was so nervous. She did her 2 o/f classes and then was crying cause she was afraid of the hack class. The kids were tired and cranky and nit picking their horses. The horses were tired and cranky and couldnt seem to remember their leads at all, or even to keep both ends on the same lead! No more late nights the night before a show! And next time we wont get there till muuuch later than we did. I dont mind showing later when its not so dang hot.

K

Katie

Eventer29 said:
No more late nights the night before a show! And next time we wont get there till muuuch later than we did. I dont mind showing later when its not so dang hot.

Yeah..I hate the late nights the night before a horse show. I am done with school in 2 weeks so I will not be getting homework done on the night before. The next MSA show we are going much later in the afternoon. The heat doesn't bother me to much, just have to remember sunscreen so I don't get cooked again.