Screaming Baby/Toddler Etiquette

bohman

barncat said:
My 14 month old did not use her "inside voice" when we were at Pizza Hut last week. I was very conscious that she was being a little too gleeful and loud ...

See, this I don't mind. If the noise is happy noise (laughter), I don't find that to be too obnoxious. We have an almost-2 year old, and when she's noisy because she's happy, we do try to quiet her down some, but that's not necessarily a reason to leave the restaurant. If they are throwing a screaming tantrum, that's different. There is NO reason to subject other restaurant patrons to that.

But like others mentioned, it depends on the restaurant, too. Screaming toddles should be removed from a nice place, or not brought there in the first place. If you went to CiCis, well, you take your chances. :shrug:

Robin

workin hard said:
The kid should have been removed. I haven't gone out to dinner in a good month or so b/c my boy has just started teething and can be a little fury when he wants to be and I choose to not subject myself and everyone else to a ruined meal.
Thank you for being so considerate...A good mom makes those choices..

SamSpade

bohman said:
See, this I don't mind. If the noise is happy noise (laughter), I don't find that to be too obnoxious. We have an almost-2 year old, and when she's noisy because she's happy, we do try to quiet her down some, but that's not necessarily a reason to leave the restaurant. If they are throwing a screaming tantrum, that's different. There is NO reason to subject other restaurant patrons to that.

But like others mentioned, it depends on the restaurant, too. Screaming toddles should be removed from a nice place, or not brought there in the first place. If you went to CiCis, well, you take your chances. :shrug:

I agree. We take our son to places like Bon Buffet, CiCi's, fast food, Bob Evans and once we took him to Applebees and Outback. We would never take him someplace like Cafe des Artistes or CD Cafe - aside from the fact they wouldn't have food he'd eat - he'd never behave long enough.

I thought it was kind of rude that, while in Russia, patrons would ask to be moved to another table and he hadn't made a sound. My first thoughts were well it's no wonder your population is decreasing.

He hasn't had any screaming fits or anything, and I've always tried to be conscientious about the noise he makes - and the mess. Generally his biggest problem is he shouts more happy sounds - loudly. I usually take him for a walk in these situations.

On the other hand, if anyone were to in any way threaten my child, I'd tell them their idea of an unpleasant dining experience hadn't even started yet.

Vince

lovinmaryland said:
What do you all think is proper screaming baby/toddler etiquette at a restaurant?

My friend and I were out to dinner this weekend in Waldorf and a few tables over from us was a couple and there toddler. I would say 80% of our meal was spent listening to their child scream and sob (and i mean bloody murder scream) They didn't try consoling the child at all. They just continued on eating their food, it was like they were oblivious to him screaming and crying.
Permissive parenting at it's best. These are the typical, "I won't spank my child for any reason" types. :shrug: