Screwing up math to add to the confusion

Hijinx

We were not taught that, and apparently I'm not the only one according to Facebook. I'd have remembered if we were, or at least I'd have remembered flunking math.
I did flunk math , I was terrible at it,.

But I know if I max out a credit card and pay the minimum on it, The minimum keeps getting bigger and you are paying 25% extra for everything you buy with that card.
There are a lot of math folks that don't know that.I don't owe a quarter to anyone.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I can't. I even had a math tutor when I had to take college math and still didn't grasp it. I do NOT have the STEM mind or capability. I'm not stupid, by any means. I'm just not wired for that stuff.

Me either. I can basic math but am okay leaving advanced math to the professionals.

Midnightrider

The list of elementary school concepts V openly brags about being unable to understand continues to grow.

This isn’t ‘new math’ this is one step above addition and subtraction, literally.

Hijinx

My Father taught me to make change when I was 10.

That's more than many of the High School kids working at MacDonalds today can do.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The ONLY Algebra I remember is FOIL

First
Outer
Inner
Last

These days I do Advanced math in an Excel Spreadsheet

SamSpade

I'm older than 40 and we didn't have that when I was a kid.
I'm even older than you - and we did.
But I'll grant you, almost everything I did after eighth grade was math.
And then math in high school, chemistry, physics and biology.
And then engineering and applied math degrees in college.
I've done so much math, my roommates in my 20's thought it was funny
that all my letters looked like their Greek equivalents.

Yes, "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" has been with me since 13.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yes, "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" has been with me since 13.

The first time I ever heard that was when I started CSM a few years ago and took a catch-up algebra class. No lie. And I'd remember if I had heard it before because I remember mnemonics - I can still sing the quadratic formula to the tune of Pop Goes the Weasel. We had parentheses, not PEMDAS.

Midnightrider

You could stand an English class so you'll learn to read left to right and not order of operations.

I read just fine. You struggle with elementary school concepts quite often 🤷
The first time I ever heard that was when I started CSM a few years ago and took a catch-up algebra class. No lie. And I'd remember if I had heard it before because I remember mnemonics - I can still sing the quadratic formula to the tune of Pop Goes the Weasel. We had parentheses, not PEMDAS.
Do you know what the P stands for?

Up next, V is shocked to learn that humans can not live and breathe under water :yay:

SamSpade

You could stand an English class so you'll learn to read left to right and not order of operations.

Well, then you leave engineering into the world of programming, where just about all math goes right to left.
And then there's APL, which not only is right to left, but largely uses characters resembling hieroglyphics, to
put it mildly.

kalmd

I'm 46 and PEMDAS has always been the rule. Like someone else said "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" Good ole Oakville Elem education I guess