Seafood restaurants that no longer exist

NOTSMC

If I remember correctly the one on Allentown Road was inside the small enclosed mall area that used to be there, I think it was called Allentown mall. The shopping center also had an Erol’s, Dart Drug, and Trak Auto.

That Zayre’s was wild because it was two levels, lots more shopping options in those days.
whoa...a two level Zayres???? That would have been heaven for me back when I used to like to shop.

Kinnakeet

Playing do you remember w/the BF last night and he was talking about various restaurants that are no longer in Southern Maryland. He mentioned something about a seafood restaurant that he would stop at after reserves at Andrews Air Force Base. Said it was a large chain, no longer there. I don't remember that at all from my days at Andrews, but I vaguely remembered that there was a ChiChis in that area which he didn't remember at all.

I also remember that there was a seafood restaurant in Waldorf that a bunch of us from PSD would go to after work. I'm pretty certain it was a chain, that you went straight up 235 turned left at I guess 301/Crain Highway something and the restaurant was right there on the right. They frequently had all the king crab legs you could eat.

Does anyone else remember something like that, what the name of the restaurant was in Waldorf and maybe if there was a large chain seafood restaurant near Andrews? It;s driving us both crazy.
Chesapeake bay seafood house

mitzi

If I remember correctly the one on Allentown Road was inside the small enclosed mall area that used to be there, I think it was called Allentown mall. The shopping center also had an Erol’s, Dart Drug, and Trak Auto.

That Zayre’s was wild because it was two levels, lots more shopping options in those days.
It had an Arby's too.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Does anyone else remember something like that, what the name of the restaurant was in Waldorf and maybe if there was a large chain seafood restaurant near Andrews? It;s driving us both crazy.

Chesapeake Bay Seafood House

Chopticon64

whoa...a two level Zayres???? That would have been heaven for me back when I used to like to shop.

It became an Ames for a few years after Ames bought out Zayres, but I think it closed in the early 90s.

There used to be a Bradlees not too far from there too, it also was on Allentown road.

Finishing up with historic retail on Allentown road, on the other side of Branch Ave there was a Safeway which became a thrift store in the late 80s, in fact I think it’s still there as a thrift store.

Anyone remember the Kmart that used to be in Lexington Park in the same shopping center as the movie theater? I was trying to remember when it closed, had to be in the 80s before the one in California opened.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
There used to be a Bradlees not too far from there too, it also was on Allentown road.

Across from Andrew's AFB on Allentown Rd ... now a church

Originally a MEMCO

1710552806822.png

We had Bradlee's in 198? ... right after the shopping center opened replacing the original entrance to the Super Chief Drive In

That store no sooner opened then swapped over to a Bradlees then a Hechinger's for many years

1710552908110.png

Memco​

The East Coast stores, located in the Washington, D.C., area, were called Memco instead of Gemco to avoid confusion with an already existing area chain called GEM. Memco stores had a blue color scheme on its walls and signage. Memco honored Gemco membership cards, and vice versa. Sometimes when an advertisement photo showed a membership card, the first letter in the logo was concealed, so the same picture could be used in both Gemco and Memco ads.

Memco entered the Washington, D.C., market in 1969 with 100,000-square-foot (9,300 m2) stores on Little River Turnpike at Braddock Road in Annandale, Virginia, and on Allentown Road in Camp Springs, Maryland.[5] When the chain announced its exit from the market in December 1982, there were 13 stores (including two in Richmond, Virginia, one in Reston, Virginia, and two in the Baltimore area), Columbia, Maryland, and Greenbelt, Maryland, stores had opened just two months earlier, and a 14th store under construction in Burke, Virginia, a suburb of Washington, D.C.[6] The closings idled 1,200 retail workers.[7] All of those locations were converted to Bradlees upon Gemco's closing.[8][9] Several of the former locations are currently open as Home Depot or were occupied by Kmart before closing. Home Depot near Fairfax Circle in Fairfax, Virginia, used to be a Memco.

Memco also had stores in other locations — for example, one in Arlington Heights, Illinois, one in Niles and one in Lombard — all suburbs of Chicago, Illinois. These stores opened in the early- to mid-1970s. Once they closed, they became Eagle grocery stores.[citation needed] As of 2015, the Arlington Heights store is a Target store.

Last edited:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
We had a Memco on the corner of Riggs Road and Sergeant Road back in the 70s.

bought my portable eight track there.

1710606927369.jpeg