SEAL who killed bin Laden left in poverty

MMDad

Lem Putt
I wonder why he got out with only four years to go?

That's what gets me. If it was medical, he'd have a medical retirement. Sounds like he decided not to re-up at 16? And now he's owed something that he did not earn? It isn't like he didn't know that leaving at 16 does not get you a paycheck and benefits.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...US Navy SEAL who personally shot to death former al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden says he has been neglected by the US government. The poverty-stricken ex-commando is now struggling to feed his family and pay for healthcare.

What a crock. For one thing, he just got re-elected so, he's got health care and, two, Barrack was never in the navy to begin with, let alone the SEAL's.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not around here, and it's pretty heavily retired military. You know the deal, just like I did when I got out after 12. If at 16 you get out, there is nothing. Your choice.

Sorry Mr SEAL, you did amazing things for this country, thanks, but your contract is no different than anyone elses. You did your job. Only job you can get is driving a truck? Only ones I could find were pulling cable and selling 2x4s, which I did. Didnt like it, but I did it.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I haven’t researched the entire story but I'd bet he consulted a lawyer prior to his separation and was advised he'd be able to cash in...Say with a fictional biography or something.

thurley42

HY;FR
SEAL who killed Bin Laden blasts government, says he's been abandoned | Fox News

Does any of retired military free sorry for this TOAD, he only spent 16 years didn't stay for 20, if you do the time there are benefits, if you get out there is nothing, just because you shot Osama bin Laden you think the government should take care of for you for life. Wrong I hear McDonalds is hiring

Wow......While I agree with what I think you're trying to say.... TOAD? McDonalds????

Easy to armchair from the rear I guess...

MMDad

Lem Putt
On the radio this morning I heard that he is waiting for VA to process his disability, and they are currently taking 18 months even for the clear cut cases. That part is completely unacceptable. This is what we have to look forward to as Obamacare is implemented. This needs to be fixed, not just for this guy but for all disabled veterans.

When I left the Navy after 6 years I did not have a solid job lined up or any benefits. That was irresponsible, but I had money in the bank, I was young, I was single, and I was in good health. It all worked out.

For this guy to leave the Navy after 16 years with a family to support and nothing lined up is a problem. The Navy seems to have kept up their end of the bargain. If he did not educate himself or get help from knowledgable people it's hard to feel too much sympathy.

While I have the utmost respect for the SEALs, just being a SEAL does not entitle you to early retirement. Being the person on the team who fired the shots does not entitle him to a monthly check for life. We don't owe him a job and free health care for his family.

I do not get the impression that this guy is actually asking for a hand out. That is what the media makes it seem like though. The faux outrage about how terrible it is we haven't handed him a cushy job, free helth care, and a gold plated commode seems to be coming from the "we have to do something" crowd who always kneejerks before learning any facts.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I wonder why he got out with only four years to go?

Right on. I heard his story yesterday, and have no real sympathy for him. He could have easily gotten a position as a SEAL trainer, recruiter, or something along that line for his last four years, then received regular retirement.

He does have a point in the VA taking so long to process his disability rating and subsequent payments, however. But again, that is the same for most vets applying for similar benefits.

Those guys - the best of the best - are what they are because they volunteered to do what they do. Their post-military benefits are, and should be, no different than what any other veteran should expect to receive.

Coping with civilian life after they resign should have been part of their planning, and SEALS are known for meticulous planning.

This guy did not.

Last edited:

Homer J

Power Chord
That's what gets me. If it was medical, he'd have a medical retirement. Sounds like he decided not to re-up at 16? And now he's owed something that he did not earn? It isn't like he didn't know that leaving at 16 does not get you a paycheck and benefits.

Right on. I heard his story yesterday, and have no real sympathy for him. He could have easily gotten a position as a SEAL trainer, recruiter, or something along that line for his last four years, then received regular retirement.Those guys - the best of the best - are what they are because they volunteered to do what they do. Their post-military benefits are, and should be, no different than what any other veteran should expect to receive.

Coping with civilian life after they resign should have been part of their planning, and SEALS are known for meticulous planning.

This guy did not.

Could have been a victim of the drawdown. I know several folks who, when they requested to reinlist, were sent to an Enlisted Retention Board. If they were in an overmanned rate, they were basically told, either transfer to a different job specialty or get out. Been a lot of this go on in the last few years.

Now the word is, they overshot the drawdown. Many job specialties are now undermanned and looking for bodies to fill the slots.

Not saying that is for sure what happened, but the articles don't really go into why he left when he did.

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Could have been a victim of the drawdown. I know several folks who, when they requested to reinlist, were sent to an Enlisted Retention Board. If they were in an overmanned rate, they were basically told, either transfer to a different job specialty or get out. Been a lot of this go on in the last few years.

Now the word is, they overshot the drawdown. Many job specialties are now undermanned and looking for bodies to fill the slots.

I'm hearing that he was so beat up from all that time as a SEAL that he couldn't continue. I can understand that, but there are other jobs he could have done to finish out his 20. The author of the story said this morning that after being a SEAL he didn't want a desk job. I can understand that, but when it comes to feeding your family it's not all about fun and excitement.

He wasn't pushed out - that's an entirely different issue. He chose to leave.

I don't understand why he didn't go the medical discharge route. If he's hurt too bad to do his job, that sounds like the way to go. Definitely persue that so the transition to VA care is easier. But instead he just left.

Some people make it seem like these guys are supermen. They are normal people with exceptional skills. They make bad decisions sometimes, just like the rest of us. It bugs me that there's such a widespread desire to rescue people from the consequences of their choices.

thurley42

HY;FR
I'm hearing that he was so beat up from all that time as a SEAL that he couldn't continue. I can understand that, but there are other jobs he could have done to finish out his 20. The author of the story said this morning that after being a SEAL he didn't want a desk job. I can understand that, but when it comes to feeding your family it's not all about fun and excitement.

He wasn't pushed out - that's an entirely different issue. He chose to leave.

I don't understand why he didn't go the medical discharge route. If he's hurt too bad to do his job, that sounds like the way to go. Definitely persue that so the transition to VA care is easier. But instead he just left.

Some people make it seem like these guys are supermen. They are normal people with exceptional skills. They make bad decisions sometimes, just like the rest of us. It bugs me that there's such a widespread desire to rescue people from the consequences of their choices.

I think there should be a different set of retirement criteria for certain jobs. The OP tempo for any SPECOPS, especially that of a T1 Operator is far different than an Admin Clerk or AV maintainer. The level of danger and risk is much greater as well, yes obviously it's a volunteered position, but if it was easy everyone would do it. Like you said, people with exceptional skills working in exceptional conditions. I think to hold them to the same standard as someone who sits at Pax for 20 years (yes, I know more than 1) is a little
redonkulous...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

This guy did not.

When I got out of the Army in 1988 - I had to attend several classes on 'adjusting' to Civilian Life, How to apply for unemployment ... etc

MMDad

Lem Putt
I think there should be a different set of retirement criteria for certain jobs. The OP tempo for any SPECOPS, especially that of a T1 Operator is far different than an Admin Clerk or AV maintainer. The level of danger and risk is much greater as well, yes obviously it's a volunteered position, but if it was easy everyone would do it. Like you said, people with exceptional skills working in exceptional conditions. I think to hold them to the same standard as someone who sits at Pax for 20 years (yes, I know more than 1) is a little
redonkulous...

I can see that, but he went into this knowing how it works. It's a little late to change it now. SPECOPS is similar to pro football in that their retirement tends to leave them worn out and in pain. The difference is that the football player had the oppurtunity to make enough money to make it worthwhile.

edinsomd

If this guy exists, he has a TS clearance and SF background. He's looking at $200K a year from any of several security firms.
If he exists.

MMDad

Lem Putt
If this guy exists, he has a TS clearance and SF background. He's looking at $200K a year from any of several security firms.
If he exists.

Being a skilled operator on the battlefield doesn't mean you can translate that into paperwork in a desk job. He may not be the instructor or analyst type. Plus, for the safety of his family, could he even tell a prospective employer who he is?

I heard a radio host saying he'd be valuable just to have around to wow people in meetings. I see a couple of problems with that. What if he has no speaking skills and sounds like a moron? He might be a redneck country boy who just doesn't belong in the board room. And what good would it be to have him around to impress people if he is not allowed to share any of the information?