Search Party - Mechanicsville

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Okay, another question... Who called in the lost report? If it was them, couldn't the Emergency Rescue folks do a GPS locate?
GMTA -- I asked hubby this when I first read this thread.

Maybe

They need to have it enabled on their phone, and then it creates a triangle radius of about 15? miles. In Mechanicsville, that can be a big area. They probably called and knew where they were at, since Fireboard was able to establish contact with them.

:lol: Probably.

Thanks for putting this out there -- I didn't know that part, thought it was more exact than that. This is good info to know!

Staying put in one place with a flashlight is the best thing they could do right now. We were always taught in scouts to stay put in one place if you were lost so you could be found.

(and hubby laughs at me when I insist he take his cell phone hunting! Not that he'd ever get lost, mind you , it's just the principle of the thing and a safety measure! He takes it to humor me!)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Can't imagine they can be so far into the woods where they wouldn't hear a helicopter. If they just tell them where they entered the woods at, the lost knuckleheads should be able to guide them to their location when they hear it provided their cell is still up.

Snow on the ground.. someone can stand on the side of the road and yell..

"Over here!!"

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Okay maybe a flare? Air horn? Start shooting into the woods till someone sez ouch? How freaking big can any woods in Mechanicsville be? Pax has an H-60 for SAR and they have a FLIR.

All good ideas, just depends on what Command want's to use. I'm actually surprised they didn't call for Trooper 2, it's more suited for SAR than Trooper 7 is.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
All good ideas, just depends on what Command want's to use. I'm actually surprised they didn't call for Trooper 2, it's more suited for SAR than Trooper 7 is.

Well the shooting part might not be too effective. They may just end up shooting eachother! LOL

Gotta be cold out there in that snow. Hope they are found soon.

G1G4

Okay, had to go to the maps...

From Bing.com

Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible

Seems like they couldn't go too far without bumping into a house or a street...

Again, I really hope they find these guys, but, GEESH!

T-Bone (who's the dispatcher assigned to this incident and the current assistant chief of Mechanicsville) said there's a bottom, and that's where they're at. Don't know how deep it is, but maybe they just can't get back up it?

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
T-Bone (who's the dispatcher assigned to this incident and the current assistant chief of Mechanicsville) said there's a bottom, and that's where they're at. Don't know how deep it is, but maybe they just can't get back up it?

SOMD is flattest place I know and there is a bottom somewhere. Splain that one to me Lucy. :coffee:

Animal

I eat red meat
They need to have it enabled on their phone, and then it creates a triangle radius of about 15? miles. In Mechanicsville, that can be a big area. They probably called and knew where they were at, since Fireboard was able to establish contact with them.
That wouldn't be GPS locating, that would be cell signal triangulation and the accuracy grows depending on the number of towers that can detect the signal. It might be as great as a 15 mile arc with only one tower detecting the cell phone (signal delay in the relay process determines a set range and it wouldn't be the full area of that radius), with two towers the location can be better defined as you have two range arcs that will create an intersection or two of the arcs and with three or more you can get real close to the actual location. GPS locating is a completely different critter as the GPS location is determined by multiple satellites and can easily get you a position within 10 - 100 meters of the GPS equipped cell phone location.

G1G4

That wouldn't be GPS locating, that would be cell signal triangulation and the accuracy grows depending on the number of towers that can detect the signal. It might be as great as a 15 mile arc with only one tower detecting the cell phone (signal delay in the relay process determines a set range and it wouldn't be the full area of that radius), with two towers the location can be better defined as you have two range arcs that will create an intersection or two of the arcs and with three or more you can get real close to the actual location. GPS locating is a completely different critter as the GPS location is determined by multiple satellites and can easily get you a position within 10 - 100 meters of the GPS equipped cell phone location.

Ok, thanks.

belvak

Happy Camper
Any updates? I just re-read the thread and saw the post where they were about 50 yards from an electric pole. I sure hope these guys are okay. I know it is easy for us to say that they should be able to follow the lines, but if they are cold and tired...

Thoughts and prayers to them!!