Sen. Chuck Schumer Proposes Billions in Government Handouts to Kill Gas-Powered Cars

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"By 2040 all vehicles on the road should be clean," says Sen. Chuck Schumer (D–N.Y.).

Schumer outlines his "Clean Cars for America" plan in an article for The New York Times. "Scientists tell us that to avoid the most devastating effects of climate change, the world needs to be carbon neutral—to have net-zero carbon dioxide emissions—by midcentury," he writes. "At the moment, we are not remotely on track to meet that target."

In a statement to Reuters, Schumer listed three actions the government needs to take in order to get American emissions to meet his target. First: Give Americans a discount of up to $5,000 (with an additional $2,000 for low-income Americans) when they trade in their gas guzzlers for an electric car. Second: Invest $45 billion in charging stations throughout the country. Third: subsidize automakers with $17 billion to increase production of electric vehicles (EVs). Altogether, Schumer predicts his 10-year plan will cost about $454 billion to implement.

https://reason.com/2019/10/28/sen-c...government-handouts-to-kill-gas-powered-cars/

Rommey

"...the world needs to be carbon neutral..."
So before the US commits billions towards this unobtainium goal, what is the rest of the world going to do to get to that goal?

Wondering who's gonna pay to have all the gas tanks in the country dug up and disposed of like EPA will demand?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So before the US commits billions towards this unobtainium goal, what is the rest of the world going to do to get to that goal?

No ONE ..... America should become a 3rd world cesspool so Progressives in Europe can Live Large

Indoyota

I don't see anything wrong with promoting more "carbon-friendly" vehicles. Unfortunately, the money will come from raised taxes. Not re-distrubruting other tax related money.

glhs837

Power with Control
EVs make a lot of sense, but I think the way to do it is through the marketplace. Remove all the subsidies. Two of your biggest makers here in the states, Tesla and GM (Bolt and the whole Tesla line) have dropped in subsidy allowance, GMs credit dies in spring of 20, Teslas dies in at the end of the year. I say let them die, even though I own some Tesla stock.

Indoyota

The cool thing about EVs are the real-world tests that are being conducted at the consumer level. What info can they get out of these vehicles in order to make them more efficient for use on the moon, or mars. No atmosphere there for combustible engines.

glhs837

Power with Control
It's true that EVs will be the only vehicles that make sense for use on the Moon to Mars. And that the data being gathered here will make those better. But are you hinting that there are shenanigans relating to that?

glhs837

Power with Control
nah, no shenanigans that im aware of

Yeah, tone's hard the read, and there is a crew who whine about Autopilot being a constant beta test with consumers being unpaid testers. Which is true after all and you sign up when you engage the feature.